Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C recharge - heads up!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: A/C recharge - heads up! Reply with quote

Had to recharge the A/C, been about 2 years...buy a couple cans, get home, first can isn't going. Try the second not going in right either...fark, what's wrong? Is it my tool or something with the system? Seems like it's the tool, if I just try to let it vent into the atmosphere (I know, I know...) only a little tiny bit is releasing...go to the FLAPS.

Turns out the cans have changed- they now have a self-sealing top instead of a simple metal seal to pierce. If you have a filling tool that is over one year old, you now need an adaptor like this for your old tool to work.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/interdynamics-...11022603-P

Also, if you try to use your old tool on the new cans, they won't release at all, you mess up the self-sealing top and you just wasted about 20 bucks.

So, head's up!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

Seems like the tools that pierce the side of the can would still work, unless the can size has also changed.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

They don't, or at least didn't for me, and that's exactly what the adaptor is for. I don't think it goes "deep" enough to break the self-sealing top.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

Ahwahnee's talking about a different kind of can adapter, a "side tap". It clamps around the can bottom and a needle pierces the side of the can. It's the one I always used in commercial shops because it's so fast, and had the added benefit of sticking out from the sides of the can so when you're finishing and just want gas you could hang the can upside down in a can of hot water to get it into the system faster.

And yes, it would work the same on the new cans.

There are newer variants but the one I used to have looked a lot like this one:

https://econosuperstore.com/itm/r134a-a-c-refriger...1-4-valve/

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

When I get through my 30# container of R134 I sell at $8 a pound, $15 if you have attitude/own a BMW , Ill have to worry about this..
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Ahwahnee's talking about a different kind of can adapter, a "side tap". It clamps around the can bottom and a needle pierces the side of the can. It's the one I always used in commercial shops because it's so fast, and had the added benefit of sticking out from the sides of the can so when you're finishing and just want gas you could hang the can upside down in a can of hot water to get it into the system faster.

And yes, it would work the same on the new cans.

There are newer variants but the one I used to have looked a lot like this one:

https://econosuperstore.com/itm/r134a-a-c-refriger...1-4-valve/

Yeah that's totally different. Mine looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJPCJZM/ref=sspa_dk_d...6bce72e883
hkunstmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

Is the engine running with the A/C set at high???
The system won't charge if the compressor is not engaged! It's not the tool....
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

Yes. I know what I'm doing and have done this before- please look up what I'm talking about. It's all charged up to 40 now because I used the adaptor.

Here's an article about this EPA mandated industry wide transition in can styles, including specifying the use of the adaptor.

http://www.rechargeac.com/self-sealing-valve
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

Yeah unfortunately AC service has become a DIY thing, refill cans and cheapo equipment are now prominently displayed spring and summer near the check-out in every FLAPS, where they formerly didn't sell any of it at all. So lots and lots more lay people being careless and releasing loads more gas into the atmosphere than in the old days, when it was a job for pro shops with the right knowledge and equipment. So they have to mandate technical changes to mitigate the growing problem, which in this case is people removing the can tap from partly full cans, which promptly release their remaining gas into the air. There's probably a few hole-dwellers around who think R134 is safe for the ozone layer, but under the Montreal Protocol it is a transition technology, still ozone depleting, just much less that R12, it still needs to be handled carefully and not wantonly released.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Had to recharge the A/C, been about 2 years...

Dunno if you renewed the hoses in your system, if so then you really should track down your leak rather than continually topping up. If you don't own a halogen detector, you could use a dye, or take the van to a pro shop and have them sniff the fittings and such for you. They could recover your refrigerant as well if you need to open it to do a repair once you find the leaks.

As to the hoses: Ten years ago, after repairing and setting up my own and a few customers' systems only to find them all needing a top-up a year later, I decided I wouldn't service these unless the hoses were removed and rebuilt with fresh materials. With the age of the original hoses and the huge extent of these systems compared to conventional front-engined cars, the total permeation losses have become too large to accept. An automotive AC system shouldn't need a top-up for ten years, at least. There are also improved hose materials now, developed once again under regulations limiting permeation losses, so those losses will be even less than when these cars were new. They weren't bad when new by the standards of the day, but now all that stuff is way past its design life, and technology marches on.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:
Had to recharge the A/C, been about 2 years...

Dunno if you renewed the hoses in your system, if so then you really should track down your leak rather than continually topping up.

It's on the list. May end up being something I pay somebody to do<shudder> because I don't feel like learning a new system right now...but it'll get done sooner than later.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

I discovered the same thing a couple of weeks ago while doing my annual recharge; the new cans are different and my old dispenser did not work. Had to buy another. Glad to learn the reason why they were changed.

Someday I'll replace the original hoses with barrier hose so that annual recharging is no longer required.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

They should slap a $1000 deposit on these cans , refundable on recovery, to stop these top off huffers from blowing off AC

Get the right tools or go to a pro.

An AC will go 10 years plus without charge, anything else is leaking and is an FU to the rest of us,
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

If America was real serious with emissions, you would need a license to buy the stuff.

I like it 'annual recharge' Rolling Eyes
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
They should slap a $1000 deposit on these cans , refundable on recovery, to stop these top off huffers from blowing off AC

Get the right tools or go to a pro.

An AC will go 10 years plus without charge, anything else is leaking and is an FU to the rest of us,

My dude, you think anyone cares about the future or the people who are going to live there? Saw a kid the other day with a shirt that read "my generation will change the world." Every generation does, as it turns out, but most of them make it better. Not all.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

I'm pretty certain van ownership overall is the least "green" choice I make in my life. While I 100% agree I should fix these leaks specifically, it's only one piece among many that make up that footprint.

To be clear, I know it's a piece I could remove and am actually contributing to. One of my intentions when posting this thread in the first place was that a couple of cans don't get insta-wasted like the ones I damaged.
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
As to the hoses: Ten years ago, after repairing and setting up my own and a few customers' systems only to find them all needing a top-up a year later, I decided I wouldn't service these unless the hoses were removed and rebuilt with fresh materials. With the age of the original hoses and the huge extent of these systems compared to conventional front-engined cars, the total permeation losses have become too large to accept. An automotive AC system shouldn't need a top-up for ten years, at least. There are also improved hose materials now, developed once again under regulations limiting permeation losses, so those losses will be even less than when these cars were new. They weren't bad when new by the standards of the day, but now all that stuff is way past its design life, and technology marches on.

I found out pretty quickly that those old hoses weren't going to hold refrigerant long enough to make charging worthwhile. Replaced all of my mine and I can say that it was worth it. Now I have to get around to installing a modern condenser.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

sciroccojim wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

I found out pretty quickly that those old hoses weren't going to hold refrigerant long enough to make charging worthwhile. Replaced all of my mine and I can say that it was worth it. Now I have to get around to installing a modern condenser.

My condenser (in front of the radiator) had "oil spots" in the dust (original from 1990).
I replaced it last summer with a new GoWesty condenser. (a skinny little thing! half the bulk of the OEM )
I did not replace the hoses but I did put in a can of "sealer", then recharged the system (RedTek).
We survived a trip to California in lots of 100°F+ but it was survival not "real A/C comfort".

This summer, I'm happy to report that my air conditioning system still works.
It was 85°F, not 100.
I have not measured the delta.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C recharge- head's up! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

My condenser (in front of the radiator) had "oil spots" in the dust (original from 1990).
I replaced it last summer with a new GoWesty condenser. (a skinny little thing! half the bulk of the OEM )
I did not replace the hoses but I did put in a can of "sealer", then recharged the system (RedTek).
We survived a trip to California in lots of 100°F+ but it was survival not "real A/C comfort".

This summer, I'm happy to report that my air conditioning system still works.
It was 85°F, not 100.
I have not measured the delta.

Our big shakedown was a southern trip to catch the eclipse two years ago. We encountered 100º temps and long grades, which really tested the system. Even though the cooling system was fresh, the van ran hot on those grades with the A/C on. Seems to me that the old condenser wasn't dissipating the heat efficiently enough. On that trip, I learned that keeping the A/C set at below the coldest temp actually kept the interior cooler, as it didn't get as hot up front and the "747" fan and A/C cutoff weren't in play. I'm hoping that the new condenser will solve that problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: