Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

So I just picked up this bus yesterday (June 17) and I did not realize at the time what I had. I originally thought it was just some home made camper kit but once home I did more research and found out this a rare 1 of possible 2-3 known to exist in the world Canadiana camper. With this being said I think it deserves its own thread. It will be a slow process but plan on have it on the road this time next year. Here is the story and pics of this sweet bus, ENJOY!

So after about 12 hours of driving we made it home with our new original Turkis paint bus. What I thought was going to be a 1 hour recovery turned into a 4-5 hour ordeal. We first met with the owners daughter who we followed to this small goat path type trail after driving a few KM on a dirt road. We proceeded to follow her with my truck and trailer (big mistake) once we started in I quickly realized the trail was narrow with tight turns. We made it in about 100' from the bus and could not make the last turn. We are now in about 1/2 km or so. Well only option is to back out at this point. I got backed out about half way and could not make a turn so we had to cut a trail to drop the trailer for the time being. I took my winch and put in the receiver of the truck and headed back. There was only 1 more obstacle, an old volvo blocking the path. Well that ended up being an easy task with winch. with the car out of the way we then made it the rest of the way. Now the fun can begin. We actually lucked out with only 1 front break stuck on. I used my drum puller, pulled it off and we were good to go. We installed 4 roller tires to make the rolling easy. After 30 years of sitting in that resting spot(last plated in 89) it was finally going to roll again. Now 1 issue was it has no breaks and we are up on a hill with lots of tight turns. I did not want to tow it because I knew it was going to run into the back of my truck. We got it onto the slope, gave it a big push, I jumped in and it rolled almost all the way back to my trailer. At this point I just decided to tow it out to the road so with Tyler steering we made our way back through the goat path. All in all with all the new scratches on my truck, bent fender on my trailer I am very happy with this bus. It needs inner and outer rockers, both rear jack points, rear corner and passengers front floor. its very complete and only missing the rear bumper. There is another bus there that is very rotted but tons of good parts. There is also some 60s volvos, a morris minor, Ford Anglis(probably spelled wrong) and some old trucks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet

Last edited by Tim MacDonald on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Detailed interior shots

88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

PLEASE if anyone can give more insight to this kit it would be appreciated. I have looked at the brochures in the gallery and have been speaking with the person who posted them.
88 cabriolet
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Can't help with any more kit information, other than to say it looks fairly well made and worthy of repair.
Congratulations on the score!, those pre road salt prairie vehicles are sweet. Does it have the second spare tire well in the back?, I see the Perfection heater under the front seat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Can't help with any more kit information, other than to say it looks fairly well made and worthy of repair.
Congratulations on the score!, those pre road salt prairie vehicles are sweet. Does it have the second spare tire well in the back?, I see the Perfection heater under the front seat.

Thank you and yes it does. Not sure how you could ever put a tire in there with the kit in there
88 cabriolet
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Wow, this is really nice! Remember - sanding this old wood may not be the best approach. There is another (recent as of 6/2019) thread where the owner was able to recover the original laminate and reapply it. I think it was a Westy, but wood is wood. This one looks to have some interesting features. Looking forward to it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Don't pressure wash it til I get there! I'm leaving Boise, ID right now so I should be at your door in about 19-1/2 hours! Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Don't pressure wash it til I get there! I'm leaving Boise, ID right now so I should be at your door in about 19-1/2 hours! Cool

Lol, I know it’s one of my favourite things. It’s so satisfying to shine the original paint. I can’t wait. I’m in the process of moving to a new house so it has to wait a couple weeks
88 cabriolet
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

the angle of the rear seat and the round edge of the jump seat looks very "Sundial" but they wouldn't have done a canadian export code bus

nice bus man!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

looks similar

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

looks similar

So you supply the screwdriver, drill, and screws?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Nice project!!

Next time just remove the lug bolts that are where the brake shoes are. Then slide in a long tool like a screwdriver or punch. Use a hammer to rap on the long tool and vibrate the spine of the shoe. That makes short work of a stuck brake shoe and breaks it loose.
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Nice project!!

Next time just remove the lug bolts that are where the brake shoes are. Then slide in a long tool like a screwdriver or punch. Use a hammer to rap on the long tool and vibrate the spine of the shoe. That makes short work of a stuck brake shoe and breaks it loose.

Thank you for the tip but I have an original drum puller and it also make light work of any stuck drum. I got tired of pulling out out old VWs with the breaks froze on so I bit the bullet and bought a puller off here. It was well worth the investment
88 cabriolet
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
the angle of the rear seat and the round edge of the jump seat looks very "Sundial" but they wouldn't have done a canadian export code bus

nice bus man!

I love the OG L380 paint. Sexy!

Kinda off topic, but when my dad, brothers, and I spoke to John Nixon who is the founder and owner of Sundial; back in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, he stated that you could bring any bus to him and he would add a Sundial kit to it, so technically you could drive a Canadian export model to Riverside CA and he would put a Sundial kit in it.

Same reason why you see small hatch buses with Sundial kits in them even though John Nixon didn’t start Sundial until after him and his sister started Road Runner camper in Concord CA and him starting EZ Camper in Little Rock Ca (per John). He stated he didn’t start Sundial until ‘65

Granted, I highly doubt anyone drove a bus from Canada to So Cal for a Sundial kit.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
crofty wrote:

looks similar

So you supply the screwdriver, drill, and screws?

I have that drill motor just in case you HAVE to have that exact one installing the kit.
my56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Cool van,There is a Canadiana camper broacher that was just posted in the literature/manuals section by Banana split that you might be interested in.
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

my56samba wrote:
Cool van,There is a Canadiana camper broacher that was just posted in the literature/manuals section by Banana split that you might be interested in.

Thank you, I just bought it
88 cabriolet
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

Great find, that bus looks remarkably solid!

Love the paint Cool
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Great find, that bus looks remarkably solid!

Love the paint Cool

It is, for sitting in the bush for 30 years it held up good. Needs innnee and outer rockers on both sides. 2 rear jack points, and front passages floor
88 cabriolet
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 original paint Turkis Canadiana camper build Reply with quote

The original manual came in today

88 cabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: