Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Hi dsalcher - I suspect that might be an interesting post, but these old eyes cannot read it. Sad

Can you try a few line breaks and paragraphs to break it into readable chunks?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdalcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Spitsnrovers I added some breaks for your reading pleasure.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

sdalcher - as I suspected a very interesting post!

Very much appreciate the edit you did. Applause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lagom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

I would love to get everyone's input on my recent issue.

I recently purchased a working cluster to replace my broken one. When I installed it, the speedometer worked (not accurately, it was showing faster than I was actually going) but the odometer did not.

So I pulled out the cluster and examined. Everything appears to be fine. See photos. The gears are in place and nothing appears to be slipping. Should any of the gears rotate by hand when I have it disassembled like this? The only two that do are the two to the right of the numbers (the gray and black ones).

If not, what else could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

None of the gears should turn by hand. The white gear appears to have a crack at the shaft.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

this is the problem... a crack on the gear... send it to VC for repair.

sdalcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

If your bus is a Syncro and you put a vanagon speedo in, the speedo will run roughly twice as fast. I was sold a vanagon speedo that was badger as a Syncro and had this problem.

As for the odometer, there are a couple of good rebuild threads on here. I was able to rebuild mine (odometer wasn’t working) in a few hours with no extra parts.

lagom wrote:
I would love to get everyone's input on my recent issue.

I recently purchased a working cluster to replace my broken one. When I installed it, the speedometer worked (not accurately, it was showing faster than I was actually going) but the odometer did not.

So I pulled out the cluster and examined. Everything appears to be fine. See photos. The gears are in place and nothing appears to be slipping. Should any of the gears rotate by hand when I have it disassembled like this? The only two that do are the two to the right of the numbers (the gray and black ones).

If not, what else could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

I've had to fix a half dozen of my odometers. Never had a problem after using super glue on the first gear, Even a cracked one will work just fine after a little, and I mean a very little CA. If it gets into some undesirable spot, then it's game over, but never had a problem.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing but completely broke in half when I tried to use Super Glue (CA) to fix the first crack. I found a post on here where a guy who was into R/C cars or planes used a repair method from that hobby. If you wrap the hub of the gear with sewing thread or dental floss and then apply the CA to the thread/floss you will have a much better, longer lasting repair. I used dental floss and it worked like a charm and as a bonus my odometer is now minty fresh.

BTW, there's another post somewhere on here where a R/C car/plane guy went to his local hobby shop and purchased a "number something" brass gear that was a perfect replacement for this notorious plastic gear.
lagom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Upon examining the small crack, it doesn't appear to be interfering with the mechanics of the system. Would something that small cause it not to work?

Could it be anything else?
dub01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

lagom wrote:
Thanks all!

Upon examining the small crack, it doesn't appear to be interfering with the mechanics of the system. Would something that small cause it not to work?

The grey pot metal gear in this pic could be your issue. If you can spin it freely, look at the shaft where the white nylon gear is mounted. If the shaft isn't spinning with the metal gear, you'll need to tear it down to repair. It is supposed to be pressed onto that shaft, and may have lost tension.

Hope this helps!
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

lagom wrote:

None of the gears should turn by hand. If they are, then look to see where the gear is slipping on the shaft.

Something that small will cause it to fail. The shaft and gear must be one piece.

If I had that apart, I would for certain fix the pot metal gear, even if it is not acting up now. I certainly will some day.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

All this has been covered in the previous posts, but some are quite old.
The white gear with the crack is the main driving component of all the other gears and numbers. It doesn't take much to have these lose their grip on the shaft. If that happens, then nothing else turns. I agree with wbailey that first wrapping the gear hub with a thread would help. Don't use dental floss, however as it can often be an unglueable poly. Heavy sail thread would the the best as unlike floss, it doesn't stretch much and will glue nicely. Hold the end with scotch tape to the geared part or anything where it will stick and wrap without too much tension until you have crossed over the first turns a couple of times. Then pull reasonably tightly and secure with more tape. A drop or two of thin CA and then let it sit overnight. I know that's longer than it needs, but just to be safe. Then trim the ends of the thread with a single edge razor blades and you should be ready to go. And yes, you got a small amount on the shaft as well. while holding the shaft vertically so the CA can wick in with a little help from Mr. Newton. (gravity)

Back in 2008, the OP talked about changing his instrument faces with white paper. I love the black on white retro look and did this once on my 6 wheel 181 with the help of my photographer son. Is there a source for these black on white faces today?
PopnDough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

I think I was able to fix my odometer on my 85 Vanagon with the screwdriver punch on the metal gear hole method.

Even with a very light tapping on the gear with the screwdriver, it was enough to stop the gear from rotating on the shaft.

We'll see how long it lasts.

I also 3d printed a little part to try to keep the shaft from sliding out.

I put it up on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3692159

Anyways, I've been a long time lurker on here, and this place has helped me countless times to repair stuff on my 85 Weekender that I've had since 2002, and a Tiico since 2009. As I'm looking to possibly sell her to buy a new Golf by the end of the year, I'd like to say thanks for all the help over the years.
Ibuprofen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

I wish I could edit/delete my old post. That method eventually failed because the metal gear slipped off on the shaft, same as many others. I also had to carefully remove the jbweld. The good-fix I used which has been mentioned so many times now was to knurl the shaft where the metal gear fits. It doesn't take much knurling!

It's been nice having a working odometer again.

[Moderator note: Old post updated with link to this post.]
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

PopnDough wrote:
I think I was able to fix my odometer on my 85 Vanagon with the screwdriver punch on the metal gear hole method.

Even with a very light tapping on the gear with the screwdriver, it was enough to stop the gear from rotating on the shaft.

There was another 3D printable part that did the same thing. Have it on my van, but like you and others, the shaft spinning on the far right metal gear is the problem. I recently punched it with screwdriver. Almost too much because it was tough to get it back onto the shaft. Working now and hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with this for a long while! Odometer had a habit of stopping at the beginning of longer road trips.
PopnDough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
PopnDough wrote:

There was another 3D printable part that did the same thing. Have it on my van, but like you and others, the shaft spinning on the far right metal gear is the problem. I recently punched it with screwdriver. Almost too much because it was tough to get it back onto the shaft. Working now and hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with this for a long while! Odometer had a habit of stopping at the beginning of longer road trips.

Yeah, I saw that. I just didn't want to have to get separate screws, and nuts.
I am, however, now realizing I made the part out of PLA, which I had in my printer, instead of switching to ABS. I guess it's good I live in the Northeast where it doesn't get THAT hot.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

"That hot"??? Orly blue and I have a dual read thermometer--inside and out. It's not unusual on a summer day even with the windows open for the inside to register 140º. Admittably, the thermometer is on the dash.
See the little square poking above the instrument cluster. Obviously it gets direct sun, but the cluster plastic cover is brown and that's where the speedo is. Would not be surprised if the windows are closed the odometer gear would occasionally see 140 as well .
PopnDough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Odometer Fix/Cluster upgrade Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. I was being facetious.

It will probably get hot enough to hit the glass transition temperature of the PLA, but I don't really feel like opening the cluster up again right now. It will be interesting to see what happens to the part after this summer. It will probably be okay since it's not under much load.
Dtownwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
I saw a write up where the gray gear was removed and placed flat on the bench and a small phillips screw driver placed in the center of the gear and then struck with a hammer, on both sides to make four little burs on the center of the gear, then the shaft was forced into the center of the gear, causing the burs to bite into the shaft. I've tried this and it has worked for 1000s of miles. The write up said that the epoxy or JB weld had failed after a short while.
http://www.twistedlimbpaper.com/brian/vanagon/Odometer.htm

Just be carful not to over strike with the hammer!!! I over did it and I was a BEECH to get the pin back through the last metal gear, very tedious!!! But I think I’ve got it working now and saved the $225 bucks the be spent elsewhere on the van I’m sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: