Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

kokanee wrote:
Wet sanding down to original paint
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Watch close for logos. Not many panels survived the camper movement at that time. Quite possible a dealer logo vehicle.
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
kokanee wrote:
Wet sanding down to original paint

Watch close for logos. Not many panels survived the camper movement at that time. Quite possible a dealer logo vehicle.

It has logos for electric appliance repair faint but they are there as well as the original owners name on the door.
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

This one just a carb tune and drive any chance I get
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I undid this

All back together with nearly no splices. At least there is no more electrical tape. I added clear shrink tubing over all the correct brass connectors. I also replaced all the bulbs and holders on the dash. Except K10, but it wasn't connected before I started.

FYI, don't insulate the small ones for the dash lights. (The K's on the diagram) They still go on, but not as easy. You don't need it there anyway as the bulb holders insulate the connectors somewhat.

Anyway, I started her up to confirm I connected everything back together right. Smile

No sparks or magic smoke yet. I haven't tested everything, but at least it can move now.

Phone died so no after pic. Embarassed

My 1968 Campmobile
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
I undid this

Shocked Shocked Shocked asdjngfioahbfinhWLFVHpobnopJCPONp;vbn;jV:NJ;jr;oruprnp;OWRJNpwrjvnrjopvrnpRNVPrnvpRNVprnV;'R';prmvp['RNP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Phone died so no after pic. Embarassed

Evil or Very Mad

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Vanagon seats and retractable seat belts, made up some brackets for the seat belts at work - 3/16" steel, laser cut, formed and powder coated.

I can't believe how much of an improvement these two changes make to driving my bus!

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I like the design and shape of those brackets. Did you have to modify seat tracks for those seats?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Yeah, that set up looks good! I was also going to ask about the tracks.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello,
Early vanagon seats will fit Late bay seat tracks not early bays tracks...
Since, he has a late Baywindow, he just had to slide them in.
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Correct - they just slid right in. I can't believe how much more comfortable they are.

'78 westy, '64 sedan
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

SLVRSRFR wrote:
Correct - they just slid right in. I can't believe how much more comfortable they are.

Forgot about that. Such an easy and worthwhile mod.

I have a pair of vanagon seats and tracks that I plan to install in my 68 single cab. Someday.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Bought a MIG welder, learned to weld (sorta), and welded in a new battery tray in my single cab.
Before:

After:

Got the engine bay cleaned up and painted and FINALLY got my refreshed engine reinstalled!
Before:

After:

1966 Beetle
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello,
Way to go David. That is one great improvement to your engine compartment, looking good.
But, you do need to get a better way of an engine support. A tranny cradle on a floor jack works great for a vw engine.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:

But, you do need to get a better way of an engine support. A tranny cradle on a floor jack works great for a vw engine.

Yeah, for sure. It’s the first time I dropped the engine and my plan was to use a jack stand to support the transmission but I found out too late that it was too tall so I had to improvise. That was only temporary, though, and I used a ratchet strap to support it while the engine was out. I’ll be more prepared next time.
1966 Beetle
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello,
Ha, I just noticed your old coil assist/over shocks. My bus had those on it when I got it(they were shot though). But, I couldn't find a replacement for the old Midas shocks by part number. So, I had to go with some KYBs instead.... to get it done and rolling again.
Anyone know of a replacement shock like that for an early bay, 1971 to be correct?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:

Anyone know of a replacement shock like that for an early bay, 1971 to be correct?

Nothing wrong with KYB's.
2fast4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Man oh man ... we had a FULL day yesterday. Robbie (asiab3) popped by the house promptly at 9:00 as a stop on his Air School 2019 Tour. Our morning started with a quick walk around / through the bus, a solid discussion in the kitchen over coffee / doughnuts about how a four-stroke engine works, various tune up specs and that black magic voodoo device that is the distributor. Following this session it was time to get our hands dirty!!

- We adjusted the valves
- Adjusted the points on the distributor
- Swapped OUT the distributor (the one in my bus would no longer advance the timing which was causing all kinds of issues)
- Set the timing
- Adjusted my dual carbs
- Nice long test drive to make sure everything was adjusted and operating properly
- Changed the transaxle gear oil (my forearm still "thinks" it's pumping oil into the transaxle ... Confused )
- Took Buddy (Robbie's bus) for a spin to snag street tacos and a burrito from the local taco truck
- Adjusted the front breaks
- Removed the rear drums, removed and cleaned the seized adjusting stars and adjusted the brakes
- Adjusted the hand brake to remove a pretty significant amount of slack in the cable
- Adjusted the clutch cable
- Wrapped up by lubricating several other chassis components

It was a solid 10 hours of working on the bus and she hasn't ran this good since I bought her!! Thanks a ton Robbie - I learned an incredible amount yesterday and I look forward to putting all the knowledge to good use in about 3,000 miles!!
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I wanted to install a cigarette lighter, not for lighting cigarettes so much as for putting in a phone charger. I found this metal bracket, one of a pair that came with a pair of training wheels that I took off my son's bike in the late '90s. Turns out the bracket is shaped to EXACTLY fit in the lower face of the dashboard of a bay bus, and the cutout in the other end is EXACTLY the same size as the lighter socket. The socket may have come with a threaded lock ring, but it is such an exact fit that I deemed it unnecessary. The hot wire is piggybacked on to the rear window defroster switch (which I have used twice in 30 years). The bracket grounds the socket to the dash, but I think I will put a ground wire in just to be thorough.

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Got the shore power unit reinstalled today. Going to have to do a little weather proofing for it before fall, but stoked to have it back in!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I put it to work.

Hauling 14' and 16' 8x8 posts for my deck. The first 16' post had already been hauled out back and stood in place. Truck deck is currently stacked with ten foot 2x8 joists and serves and a cutting stand while I finish framing.

We also used the truck to stand the final post. If I could figure out how to deal with video posting, I would share that, too.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 435 of 464

Jump to: