Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of redoing the trans in my ragtop with the help of mcmscott. Iill be reinstalling the new axles and everything and hoping someone could recommend circlip pliers for the clips holding in the diff and axles. I'm tired of chewing up clips and breaking tools on those circlips. If you know the right tools and maybe a part # I'd really appreciate it! I've tried dozens over the years and they never last long! Thanks!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

I'll be doing the same job this week.
This is the cir-clip pliers I bought from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UHUDDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

I use, and have for years, a generic set of needle nose pliers with the tips bent inwards and shaved just a bit. Better than any set of snap ring pliers you can get.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

Good to know, I've got a bunch of needle nose pliers I'll try it on. Rust avenger, did you ever figure out what was going on with your trans?
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

I have a set of the ATD pliers for a few years now and they are fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-915-Universal-Sna...mp;hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418800025&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

You talking about the retaining clips for swingaxle side gears? By far the best tool I've used for those was this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the way those tips so very well fit that circlip plus how it was a locking tool, makes me wonder if it was designed for that job. But that was the property of the shop I used to work at.

These days, as others have done, I have a pair of honking long-ass bent tip needle nosers that I ground the tips to fit.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

The longer pliers make life easier. I got a set of no name 13 inch internal circlip pliers and ground the tips so they grab and hold easier similar to how scott mentioned. This 13 inch version is extremely helpful

The ones I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-13-Circlip-P...Sws0ZcuBJS

These that have the tip already bent inwards might be perfect here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Long-Grip-Circlip-Plie...Sw~LpcuBJZ
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

scottf1887 wrote:
Good to know, I've got a bunch of needle nose pliers I'll try it on. Rust avenger, did you ever figure out what was going on with your trans?

Yeah. Broken ring gear.
I have a local mech building a pro-street .388 R&P replacement trans.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

That's a bummer! Thanks for the input guys! I went ahead and ordered both of the eBay ones and will also give the needle nose pliers a shot. At twelve bucks a pair figured I'd give it a shot. Thanks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Pliers/Snap-Ring-Pl...iers-9-1-2
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
scottf1887 wrote:

Yeah. Broken ring gear.

Ahh shitski Evil or Very Mad

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended circlip pliers for transaxle? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
scottf1887 wrote:

Yeah. Broken ring gear.

Ahh shitski Evil or Very Mad

Meh. Shit happens! I expected it anyway. Just not this soon. Laughing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: