Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

leaky RGB with a twist
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

hey sambonians. new to samba but a long time lurker here. i finally pulled the trigger on a new to me 67 split. for the most part it’s well sorted but i noticed one thing that i’m stumped on. here goes...

passenger side RGB is leaking (i have the seal kit and will be tackling it this weekend). what started out as what looked like regular old tranny fluid/oil is now a red sludge like liquid. viscosity is light enough it could drip from appears to be the box but on the floor it’s semi raised and red in color.

anyone else experience this? i’ll try and snap some pics in the morning but thought i’d throw it out there in case anyone’s come across this before.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

RED? Confused

Could it be that someone put in transmission fluid in it instead of gear oil? Think

Still, a leak is a leak and will need to be taken care of. Neutral
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
RED? Confused

Could it be that someone put in transmission fluid in it instead of gear oil? Think

Still, a leak is a leak and will need to be taken care of. Neutral

not sure but doesn’t the trans feed oil to the RGB’s? i thought i read that somewhere. another thing is when i did see the first signs of leakage it appeared to be just oil. it leaked about the size of a silver dollar and the next day or so the red stuff started coming out. strange right?!?!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Yes, the center section and boxes are connected.

If someone put a red oil in the trans or RGBs, it will have red oil in it. Like Pyro said. I have not seen this, but odd things happen.

I would
Buy a gallon jug of proper gear oil. I use Sta Lube GL-4. And the pump.
Take the bus for a drive.
Drain the gear oil from boxes and center while warm and stirred up.
Fix the seal/leak.
Fill with new GL -4 gear oil. Fill boxes, put rear wheels on ground. Then fill center till it reaches the fill hole and starts oozing out. There will be some leftover from the gallon jug.
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

thanks for the tip clara. appreciate the help Cool

here are some pics of the box itself and the oil on a paper towel for contrast

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

From here it looks like the red is iron oxide, the leak is washing the rust dust out of the slightly loose spring plate to box joint.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Is it leaking from one of the reduction box mounting bolts?

I think that means it's leaking from the freeze plug on the back of the late-model "big nut" reduction box so that might have to be pulled and re-sealed.

The seal kit is for the axle seal behind the brake drum.

Maybe someone else can chime in on whether it will leak from there if the freeze plug is leaking.

I would definitely plan on draining and replacing the transmission fluid but you might have a different leak on your hand than you think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

I’ll betcha the leak is connected with the shock mount which looks to have been welded back on. Looks like a complete tear down is in your future.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Is the forward spring plate mounting bolt welded to the spring plate??! Hard to tell from the pic but it looks suspect.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Might be 607 Almasol from Lubrication Engineers, Inc.:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=607+Almasol&t=canonical&ia=web

Using that in a transaxle that we got rebuilt, but found that the new manufacture second gear syncro was so tight that it was impossible to downshift into second gear. As per advice of the transaxle rebuilder, changed to Almasol gear oil and second gear is much easier to shift into.
Definitely a red gear oil...

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Redline MT90 is also red in color. It was recommended by my transaxle guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Is the forward spring plate mounting bolt welded to the spring plate??! Hard to tell from the pic but it looks suspect.

I thought the leak was coming from there... which is weird

Unless it's a massive overflow of anti-seize instead
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

thanks for the replies fellas. i tried i work on this yesterday only to be blocked by the infamous "big nut" 46mm axle nut. no one in the area sells a socket this big lol. i did manage to find a buddy who has one button't be able to get it til he gets back.

in the meantime, to answer some questions, the spring plate bolt isn't welded to the spring plate. i wired brushed it to get a better idea of what's under all the gunk. i think doing that may have disrupted the "gunk seal" and started the new red leak. the oil is coming from the RGB seal for sure. the bright side is the other side is bone dry!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Get a 3/4" drive socket and a breaker bar to fit that.

If you use 1/2" drive, you will break it all too often.

Check out your local Fastenal store for such. See if they have the Proto "L" shaped breaker bar. That is the strongest style of breaker bar.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Here is my method:

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

sanhozeezee wrote:
the oil is coming from the RGB seal for sure.

To clarify - it's leaking from the seal between the reduction box halves?

This big seal

not the axle seal:

sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

not 100% sure but appears to be leaking from the axle seal. i hope it's not the gear box seal itself!

i borrowed a 46mm axle nut from a friend so i plan on tackling this tomorrow or tuesday.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Snap-On 3/4” drive breaker bar and 46mm impact socket.

Had it for over 35 years now, it will never fail me. Cool

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

Thats a nice tool, but you cant tighten the nut with the wheel off and off the ground, unless you use another method like above to secure the drum. Still better to tighten it with 4 wheels on the ground and ebrake set wheels blocked
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: leaky RGB with a twist Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Thats a nice tool, but you cant tighten the nut with the wheel off and off the ground, unless you use another method like above to secure the drum. Still better to tighten it with 4 wheels on the ground and ebrake set wheels blocked

Understood, the picture is merely to showcase one of the proper tools to do the job. I did the final tightening with all 4 wheels on the ground.

I had stored that particular transaxle for nearly 30 years, eventually using it to refresh my 1956 panel. Happily I found out that before removing that transaxle from my ‘66 single cab and storing it I had the foresight to loosen both axle nuts, also with all 4 wheels on the ground. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: