Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lost keys in Las Vegas
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Paul,
Check this picture and let me know if you think this 7 could be an upside down 4?
If this is a 4, then the entire number is stamped upside down from all the others I've seen on the interwebs. If a 7, then the 8 and 3 are upside down...
Slider handle doesn't match so I'd need to get into the ignition or hatch from here.

-d

(Sorry for the major thread jack)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Paul,
Check this picture and let me know if you think this 7 could be an upside down 4?
If this is a 4, then the entire number is stamped upside down from all the others I've seen on the interwebs. If a 7, then the 8 and 3 are upside down...
Slider handle doesn't match so I'd need to get into the ignition or hatch from here.

-d

(Sorry for the major thread jack)

is my guess. That's not a 4 but I see what you mean. If it had the vertical line, it'd be 1.5x as tall as the other numbers.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

I vote for 6378 as well. Are all the others the same?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

That's great! ^^^^

I use number and letter stamps with some frequency, it is so very easy to flip one over and stamp upside down!

That 7 is a 7 though, I don't see how you see a potential 4.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

I'd say it 6878...
in this pic, the 8 is copied and moved on the top, another copy was tinted in purple, moved on top of the "3"and a bit on the right to show the matching.

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Here is an inverted 4 from another Vanagon handle. I'm 99% leaning 4. Who's got a confirmed 7?

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I'd say it 6878...
in this pic, the 8 is copied and moved on the top, another copy was tinted in purple, moved on top of the "3"and a bit on the right to show the matching.

This makes the most sense. 6878 means the only exception is that the first 8 didn't fully register. The others require shenanigans like the 3 being reversed and a 4 being unusually large.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

The 8 does line up (outer profile). Maybe the '8' stamp broke in the middle and couldn't register?

I can't wait to check for this code when I get my vanagon back.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

if the 7 is an inverted 4 then the code should be read from right to left and would be 8439, and it's not the case.
in 6878, the number 7 looks very like as a 7 as in this pic showing 9237 (from a hatch lock)

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

That hatch 7 is the same height as all the other digits. My "7" sure seems smaller compared to the others. It is only $30/key but I should still dig into my hatch to make sure.
-d
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

I'd think that the section where the code was stamped is not flat - the center is lower than the top and bottom of code. The 6 and the 8 didn't register fully, same as the top and bottom of the 7.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

I think we are all in agreement that it is f'ed up. In what way is the question.
Not sure if I should report back when I get a working key in case someone really wants my van for free.
-d
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Just got my key from Steve's…looks and works fine, better looking than what I had (it has the plastic head surround where all my others are flat metal).

As I noted upthread (or perhaps via PM) the number and a photo of the botched stamp might be enough. Steve asked for a pic of a working key to verify so perhaps 2 or 3 good numbers and the photo will allow him to figure it out.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Just got my key from Steve's…looks and works fine, better looking than what I had (it has the plastic head surround where all my others are flat metal).

As I noted upthread (or perhaps via PM) the number and a photo of the botched stamp might be enough. Steve asked for a pic of a working key to verify so perhaps 2 or 3 good numbers and the photo will allow him to figure it out.

Locksmiths are clever people. Steve probably had the key made before you provided him with any info. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Locksmiths are clever people. Steve probably had the key made before you provided him with any info. Very Happy

😱

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost keys in Las Vegas Reply with quote

It was a 4.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: