Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I went ahead and smoked my engine like a bunch of you suggested, and found quite a few vacuum leaks, specifically at the EGR valve blockoff, the throttle body gasket, the throttle body spring, the cold start valve, and both sides of the 22mm shaped hose that runs from the oil breather to the S boot. They're all tiny leaks except the oil breather (the inside of the tube is cracked, and the metal part on the S boot is rusted to worthlessness).

So far I've done the following:

*ultra-blacked the EGR valve to the plenum
    *siliconed around the cold start valve (very temporary measure)
    *ordered a new throttle body gasket
    *gummed the hard hose to the S boot (another very temporary measure)

I can't seem to find the following parts:

*cold start valve gasket (although I've found other years - are they the same size?)
    *metal insert to go inside the S boot from the 22mm oil breather hose
    *22mm oil breather hose

I know the oil breather hose is NLA, but has anyone had success with any other replacements? My PCV valve is still good, so it's a good thing to keep it hooked up. Can I use other cold start valve gaskets from other years? Is the little metal sleeve in the S boot still available?

Also, what gives with the vacuum leak in the throttle spring? That's a bit puzzling.

Thanks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

oil breather hose is the PCV hose. It goes from the S-boot to PCV/breather.

That one is NLA. You can get something from NAPA that fits but it doesn't work as well as the real thing. Eric & Arii in West Sacto had a NOS breather hose a few weeks ago but many here use the high quality one made by GeeBee. Here is an ad for his whole kit but he does sell individual hoses.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2037903

Put your year bus and general location in your sig line or somewhere.
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

Dangit, I thought I updated that sig before. Done.

Oof, that's expensive. I'll check out Eric and Arii, thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

oshima wrote:
Dangit, I thought I updated that sig before. Done.

Oof, that's expensive. I'll check out Eric and Arii, thanks!

you don't have to buy a whole kit. I looked at the part Eric has. It is an "A" suffix where the FI one is a "C" suffix. 022 129 973 C The "A" may be too short.

The hose is 22 mm if you can find something at NAPA/
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

Is it possible to replace just the metal sleeve that goes inside the S-Boot to connect to the oil breather or does the whole S-Boot need to be replaced?
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

Will this help? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2228558

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

uhhh, I edited this post into oblivion on accident. Any way to get it back?

Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

Okay, I've received the S-Boot from Airhead, but they did not include the metal sleeve. Has anyone had any luck with a jury-rigged/aftermarket replacement of any type? I'd hate for this stupid little piece of metal to be the only thing between me and driving.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

I messed up my old post, but the metal pipes are not available new.

Try Chris @ BustedBus or Ken M. @ TheBusCo.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

oshima wrote:
Okay, I've received the S-Boot from Airhead, but they did not include the metal sleeve. Has anyone had any luck with a jury-rigged/aftermarket replacement of any type? I'd hate for this stupid little piece of metal to be the only thing between me and driving.

Put your location in your profile or signature. Someone close to you may have a spare.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of this metal pipe? It sounds like the intake boot connector nipples used on 411 and 412.....basically about a 1" long piece of metal tube with a "cuff" crimped in the middle that keeps it frok alipping into the boot....and the hose connected to it pushes on up to the cuff.

Is it that type of part?

If so...I made one for my 412 many years ago by finding a slice of fairly thick wall tubing the right diameter.....I might have snipped it out of air conditioning hard line witj a tubing cutter in the junkyard....I have a vague memory of doing this.

I then used the tubing cutter to put a groove around the outside in the middle and snapped on either an e-clip or snap ring to replace the cuff. I bevelled the ends and slipped in and the hose slipped on. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

Go to a local Ace Hardware. I found a white nylon hose barb that works perfectly.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

oshima wrote:

we still don't see your location
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leak repairs - replacement parts for NLA? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips everyone. I went ahead and added Knoxville, TN to my location.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: