Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine break in questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

I’m trying to finish up my new 2332 and all I like finishing is the heads my plan is either super pros or mini wedge ports. But anyway my question is this I have fk8 cam and 1.4 rockers and most likely dual springs the instructions from Engle say remove inner springs and break in at 2000 rpms for 20 minutes. Should I have the heads shipped without the inner springs for break in then try to muscle them in with the motor in the car or remove motor to reinstall? Or what? This may sound stupid but would it be possible to attach an electric motor to the crank and break in the cam before installing the motor? How do you guys get the springs on and off during break in?

Last edited by db69 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

Pilling the heads is the easiest way to change springs and valve spring compressors are fairly inexpensive. There are other ways to pull the springs but there more for semi emergency situations or if you have to replace 1 broken spring. I have a baja so pulling the heads isnt a big deal lol.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

I guess I should’ve mentioned it’s going in a 69 beetle so pulling the heads would require removing the engine.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

Breaking in the cam with an electric motor is entirely possible but I do not believe you would do the pistons and cylinders any favors as they would not be up to proper running temperature. It seems to me that it would be less trouble to rig up to do the break-in running the engine on the shop floor than setting up to drive the engine with an electric motor. That would have to be done with the engine out too.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

So does everyone running dual springs remove the inner springs, install the heads, install tin, install engine, break it in , remove engine, remove all the tin , remove the heads, reinstall springs, reinstall heads, reinstall tin then reinstall engine? Seams like a helluva lot of work. Surely someone has found an easier route? I’m not lazy but damn somebody help me out here!
within.1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

I broke in quite a few engines with the dual springs on, i use good quality break in oil and try to start the engine quickly and dont run it over 2,000 rpm for 20 mins
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

Now that sounds much better. Did you have any cam failures?
within.1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

No i did not,but i cant say if anyone else wont
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380203
I did mine on the garage floor out of the car.
I have a cut bellhousing and attach a starter to it. Connect the fuel lines and a very simple wiring system.
I just run off a well charged battery for breakin and after tuning. Again this is all done with the engine out of the car.

FWIW, I broke mine in with the dual springs in place.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

I have never changed anything on an engine from brake in to final running in the car. Same valve springs are used from the time the engine is built to the time it is gone.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

I run them with the dual springs in for break-in. They make a tool to change the springs while the engine is in the car.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Heavy-Duty-Valve-Spri...ol-buy.htm

ACN will also rent you the tool.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

I break mine in on the stand or on a Dyno. I do not remove the inner spring unless it is a cam that I am using that has what I consider a non standard profile that your average builder won't be using. I use standard Engle stuff on most builds keeping at or near .550 total Lift. I use Dino 30w non detergent break in oil with high zinc. In my case I have never had a flat cam come back so I stick with what works for me.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback I think I will break it in with the springs in place.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback I think I will break it in with the springs in place.

Follow the instructions that came with an Engle cam 1500-1800 RPM for 20-30 minutes. After you run the engine it is also very important to allow the engine to completely cool 10-12 hours to "normalize". Adjust valves and change the oil/filter then you are ready to drive it.

arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

Whats a target idle RPM for a build like this?
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

My first “big motor” but cam is supposed to pull to 6500rpm. I guess we will see!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

arizonabuckeye wrote:

I set engines with single valve springs 750-800. Dual valve springs needs more oiling and I set the idle around 900-950

db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

arizonabuckeye wrote:

Sorry didn’t see “idle” 6500 would be a little loud at idle! Shocked
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

You haven't even told us what cam you are using yet.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine break in questions Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
I’m trying to finish up my new 2332 and all I like finishing is the heads my plan is either super pros or mini wedge ports. But anyway my question is this I have fk8 cam and 1.4 rockers and most likely dual springs the instructions from Engle say remove inner springs and break in at 2000 rpms for 20 minutes. Should I have the heads shipped without the inner springs for break in then try to muscle them in with the motor in the car or remove motor to reinstall? Or what? This may sound stupid but would it be possible to attach an electric motor to the crank and break in the cam before installing the motor? How do you guys get the springs on and off during break in?

Fk8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: