Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pops out of second gear - hack that is working
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

Bus transaxles are spendy to rebuild. I have a TDI engine from a 97 Passat and have more money and hassle invested in the Trans than I am willing to admit. I don't abuse the trans but don't baby it either.

A couple of months ago, it started popping out of second gear when driven very lightly (i.e. not decelerating, not accelerating). This would be usually when I am driving up to a stop sign or following someone moving slowly. It's intermittent and happens maybe 25% of the time in that scenario.

My bus mechanic guru told me that this has to be something internal and not in the linkage.

I found that I could prevent the problem by keeping a finger on the shifter, but that's just not convenient in all scenarios and sometimes I would forget.

I made the following ugliness with a piece of aluminum, 3 strong magnets and JB-Weld. It's positioned to grab on to the shifter when it's in the 2nd gear position. It provides just enough hold to prevent the pop out of gear issue and otherwise is transparent to the driving experience. A side-effect is that it will also grab when in reverse. That's not desired but not problematic either.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

Start saving for another trans, or rebuild. Popping out of gear 99% of the time is the engagement drive teeth on the gear itself are worn. If that is the case, it will only get worse to the point popping out regardless of what pressure is attempting to hold it in gear. Another thing to consider is that while pressure is being put on the shifter, it is causing unnecessary wear on the 1st-2nd slider, and the shifting fork.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

on the bright side, your wiring is very well sorted

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

Well, I will have to say I understand the wiring stuff.

I've cleaned mine up quite a bit from before, but my bus has felt like some kind of experiment for several years now, with originally just trying to get it on the road and then making things nicer and more clean and all that along the way. So I get it.

Haven't you already had your trans rebuilt once to go with the TDI?

Only time will tell if my newly rebuilt trans will last this time around with the supposedly stronger gears and such. But I think it is becoming clear that the old 091s just don't like the TDI motors all that well. I'm hoping that this current rebuild will last long enough for some kind of breakthrough, such as somebody starting to manufacture all-new, tougher parts (or a whole new trans), or really great CV joints that will allow the flipped Passat trans to not have to mount so low, or something like that.

If it goes out again and there aren't any of these things by then, I may have to start thinking about other options altogether. Sorry this is going on!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Well, I will have to say I understand the wiring stuff.

I've cleaned mine up quite a bit from before, but my bus has felt like some kind of experiment for several years now, with originally just trying to get it on the road and then making things nicer and more clean and all that along the way. So I get it.

Haven't you already had your trans rebuilt once to go with the TDI?

Only time will tell if my newly rebuilt trans will last this time around with the supposedly stronger gears and such. But I think it is becoming clear that the old 091s just don't like the TDI motors all that well. I'm hoping that this current rebuild will last long enough for some kind of breakthrough, such as somebody starting to manufacture all-new, tougher parts (or a whole new trans), or really great CV joints that will allow the flipped Passat trans to not have to mount so low, or something like that.

If it goes out again and there aren't any of these things by then, I may have to start thinking about other options altogether. Sorry this is going on!

Yes, the wires are a bit of an embarassment. Most of that is not from the TDI but years of radios and extra gadgets. I'm sure I'll clean it up one day. Despite looks, everything is at least well fused.

The trans was rebuilt twice. The first time the shop put in new 3rd/4th and supposedly rebuilt everything else. After a short while there was a noise. The noise turned out to be a bearing that had not been replaced which was allowing one of the shafts to move a little and the gears to move in and out of mesh a little.

The second time, I got the bearing, changed 4th (from .70 to .77) which I now regret and got a 4 spider diff that I probably didn't need. I got to pay for both rebuilds and am trying to draw the line on more.

I don't know enough about transaxles to know if the torque increase is what damaged 2nd. I shared your concern of whether the 091 is really viable long term, but the Vanagon people seem to be OK with TDIs and the only difference between the 091 and 094 is supposed to be the reverse gear. That gives me some hope.

I did get lightly rear-ended on the 405 shortly before this happened, so thinking that might have damaged something.

I'm also hoping to make it last until there's a better option for transaxles or until there's lots of Tesla batteries available cheaply and then maybe I'll convert to electric.

Mark
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
I do have to give points for ingenuity.

Thanks. This was really why I posted it.

I know it's not the right way, but sometimes a hack to buy some time is what we need.
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Start saving for another trans, or rebuild. Popping out of gear 99% of the time is the engagement drive teeth on the gear itself are worn. If that is the case, it will only get worse to the point popping out regardless of what pressure is attempting to hold it in gear. Another thing to consider is that while pressure is being put on the shifter, it is causing unnecessary wear on the 1st-2nd slider, and the shifting fork.

Thanks much. I appreciate the info!
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

I wouldnt go so far as to say vanagon people do ok with TDIs. Theres been plenty of trans destruction over there too . No personal experience, but i read about it.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pops out of second gear - hack that is working Reply with quote

Do this if you must but save your pennies. There will come a point (and it may come sooner than you think.) that your "hack" will no longer cut it. The longer you wait and the worse it gets, (and it will get worse.) it will only cost more money. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: