Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a dune buggy with a 1600 and I have nothing but issues with.

I tried lots of adjustments and I will explain everything I have done.

The engine is a 1600 DP with a 34 pic 3 carb. DVDA distributor.

The engine had a solex 34 pic 3 carb the and ran like crap with this engine had a flat spot and was not consistent.

So I bought a new Empi 34 pic 3 carb and I am having similar issues.

The engine is running super rich on both carbs and I can't get adjustment out the them. Plugs are going black instantly after 10 seconds of running. I can't get the engine to idle on either carb. I having the timing close but that should still not prevent the car from idling I would think. I have tried the following jets 127.5 main and 130 main, idle jets 55 and 60. I have tried numerous adjust on both screw on the 34 pic 3 and no progress.

I will add a little more to the story on another carb I tried. I had a H030/31 carb laying around with the dual port intake adapter plate. I put this carb on the engine and the engine will idle but still seems to run super rich. If I hit the throttle quick I have a major flat spot in the carb. The engine stalls or almost stalls when I hit the throttle a second time revs up perfect. I can see black smoke from the exhaust and my eyes can feel the fuel in the exhaust. I have tried to lean this carb out and it does't work I tried to adjust the accelerator pump with no luck there either.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated I have never had a engine that ad these kind of running issues.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Post a pic or two of how you have the distributor plumbed to the carb, what's your timing set at, and how?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Isn't the 34 pict-3 supossed to be combined with a SVDA dist?

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

They came with both, dependant on year.
The DVDA engines are generally somewhat more difficult to get to run right. I usually convert these to SVDA. But in the O.Pīs case it sounds to be a multiple issue situation. Check everything from the bottom & up. voltage to the coil, - everything.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
Post a pic or two of how you have the distributor plumbed to the carb, what's your timing set at, and how?

See picture below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dizzy front vacuum port goes to side of carb and dizzy rear port goes to front of carb.

Timings is set statically because I can get a idle of 34 - pic 3
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
The DVDA engines are generally somewhat more difficult to get to run right. I usually convert these to SVDA. But in the O.Pīs case it sounds to be a multiple issue situation. Check everything from the bottom & up. voltage to the coil, - everything.
T

All voltages are good. And choke and solenoid both working great based off of voltage and visually see them and hear them working.
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
T

All voltages are good. And choke and solenoid both working great based off of voltage and visually see them and hear them working.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Fuel pump too high pressure ?

Stock / aftermarket / Electric fuel pump?

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Crappy distributor cap-what is the quality of the rest of the ignition parts?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

one issue a lot of folks aren't aware of is the DVDA is timed to 5 ATDC. To get a reasonable idle speed at that retarded timing, the carburetor must flow a LOT more air at idle. So it has a hole in the throttle plate, in addition to the normal idle circuit (throttle plate bypass).

If you install a SVDA type carb on a DVDA equipped engine, you can't get the idle speed high enough (not enough air) for the retarded timing. The solution is a hole in the throttle plate and a larger idle jet to compensate for it.

or put an SVDA on there with "normal" timing at idle, and the carb will adjust and behave properly.

New carbs are all of the SVDA type, the only DVDA ones were original, and IDed with the base stamp.

Other common causes of your plug fouling are anti-seize on the plug threads (don't do this), or too much fuel pressure. What is the fuel pressure?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Page down on this thread and you can see the difference in throttle plate hole sizes for DVDA vs SVDA

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711261&highlight=hole+throttle+plate+svda+dvda
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

John touched on it already. There were two main versions of the German Solex 34-3 carbs. Most were for DVDA's. In 1974 they went to SVDA distributors like the famous 043905205 or 034 SVDA in non-California markets and still ran DVDA's in California for smog reasons.

Mixing and matching distributors and carbs equals poor results and idling. ALL the aftermarket 34-3 carb copies are designed for SVDA. All the German Solex carbs have a base flange number at the bottom of the carb. It's a 4 digit number like 377-1. This tells you what the carb was delivered as (DVDA or SVDA).

The other important factor that is often overlooked is matching the correct distributor to the VW it's in. You wouldn't want to run a autostick DVDA in a manual transmission bug. Nor would you want to run a German 034 in a heavy bay bus running a type 1 dual port engine. The German Bosch distributors have different advance rates in them. Some advance quicker than others.

The DVDA distributors get a bad rap due to folks not knowing what I posted above. When you match a restored DVDA (with a good vacuum canister on both the retard and advance side) with a correctly restored German Solex DVDA carb, you get excellent results. You have to time the engines with a DVDA at 5° ATDC because you are hooking up the retard vacuum line to manifold vacuum. The advance side of the vacuum canister connects to ported vacuum. So, at idle the engine has manifold vacuum but there's no ported vacuum because the throttle plate is closed. As John mentioned you also have to adjust the carbs correctly because they do pull more air to idle at that advance timing.

I've sold a ton of restored DVDA's to folks who wanted the correct distributor on their engine as delivered new. Most also purchased the correct version of the German Solex 34-3 carb from Tim at Volkzbitz.com. Folks who install them and adjust them correctly are rewarded with wonderful driving VW's that idle like a sewing machine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Page down on this thread and you can see the difference in throttle plate hole sizes for DVDA vs SVDA

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711261&highlight=hole+throttle+plate+svda+dvda

Thanks this thread helped a lot and so did all of your answers. You guys are correct my empi carb is for a SVDA. I was able to get it run decent a DVDA but it had a major flat spot after a lot of adjusting. So I had a SVDA laying around and this motor runs perfect now no flat or anything.

With all the VW stuff I have and worked on I defiantly learned something new with the DVDA distributor. I really do appreciate all the help.

I live in NY so summers are short here and this got me on the road to have some cruising fun with this buggy.

I eventually want to switch the buggy to the pertronix flamthrower single vacuum advance distributor. Does anyone have any thoughts or reservations about this setup?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

speedracer89 wrote:

I eventually want to switch the buggy to the pertronix flamthrower single vacuum advance distributor. Does anyone have any thoughts or reservations about this setup?

Yes, don't do it. The Petronix distributors are very poorly made Chinese distributors. If you have a Bosch SVDA already that works, use it.

The best SVDA for your application would be the famous German Bosch 034 or 043905205. The Mexican Bosch 034 is just as good.

I'd avoid any of the Chinese made distributors.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

The best SVDA for your application would be the famous German Bosch 034 or 043905205. The Mexican Bosch 034 is just as good.

I have a German one. But not sure why the 034 is Famous Think

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
But not sure why the 034 is Famous Think

I think I used the word "famous" due to it being the most coveted German Bosch SVDA distributor. It's also the model that the Chinese have done such a horrific job of copying and selling. Wink

speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 DP with DVDA dist. running issues. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
speedracer89 wrote:

Yes, don't do it. The Petronix distributors are very poorly made Chinese distributors. If you have a Bosch SVDA already that works, use it.

I'd avoid any of the Chinese made distributors.

Ok cool thanks for the tip. So do you do any conversion on these to make them electronic or do you leave them as points?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: