Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

I thought you might be asking about the pressure test..do you have an air compressor? There are a few different ways of doing this, but basically you need to plug off the steel line where it exits out of the tunnel in the rear..air tight..
Then you need to make up some air tight fittings to hook up to the compressor set to 75PSI and listen for leaks..the best way is to do this test is to shut your compressor off and leave it for awhile,couple hours or even over night..if you check your gauge and it's still at 75, or close,you will be in good shape..

This is a rudimentary system I rigged up, but you get the idea..(also this is where having extra fittings,clamps and lengths of hose lying around is handy.) and notice the FI clamps, compared to the regular one in case you're wondering..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Piece on the left hooks up to the compressor and up front of the tunnel
Right piece goes on the rear exit hard line through tunnel..

Rear exit

There's obvious places for these homemade pieces to leak,but after some tweaking and tightening,I got them air tight..I'm sure there's better ways,but this worked for me..I eventually turned the pressure up to 90PSI and no leaks on my almost 50 year old hardline..
-Matt
1967Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

nice!! the pics and explanation really help!

i have a couple compressors my shop and lots of fitting around so i can rig something up like that

the fuel line is new but good idea to check for any kinks in it that might leak

might as well do it all while i have the tank out...

i don't want to have to take it out a third time =)

thx!!!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

Nice pics showing process. Unless you plan on FI, 75 psi might be overkill even for testing. With a stock mechanical fuel pump and a thirsty dual carb 2 litre I am running right about 3 psi. just my 2 cents. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, 75 PSI for fuel pressure would be insane,I run 2.5 on my Holley regulator from my Carter fuel pump for my dual 40s..I picked up on a thread here for testing the integrity of the fuel lines..figured if it could take 75psi,it could take gravity fed fuel (or pumped rear from the tank in my case) I could sleep better at night..VW did something right for sure,hiding that fuel line in the tunnel..protected and solid Cool
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

Hi this thread has been very helpful. I am trying to reinstate the original fuel layout for my 71 KG and all the breather pipes have been cut and plugged. All is clearer now but I have an extra pipe that goes through the body under the right hand fender.

The top one goes to the T piece but what am I meant to do with the bottom one? Both of the pipes you see are cut and plugged

Thanks
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

The bottom one should connect to the expansion tank and fuel tank, then run down the wheel well, connect to another line that runs under the pan to the rear wheel well, then up into the engine compartment and finally connect to the charcoal canister.

It takes the gas fumes out, back to the carb so they can be burned.

d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

1967Ghia wrote:

it looks like i do have the hookups... i found the pipe in the wheelwell, under the hood, in the side of the tank, and where it vents out by the spare tire.

in my spare parts bin from an old dune buggy build i have an empi 1/4" t-fitting. will this work???

[b]Those vent hose barbs are 3mm.[/b]
1/4 is bigger.
I got irrigation T’s from the Deep Homo.

what pipe should i use for this? fuel hose from napa? what inner diameter? 1/4 seems like it might be too big?? i dunno??

Mine either came from ACN or CIP1. You can also Google Cloth Braided German Fuel Hose and there are are places there too. I had to do that for the 12mm hose for some reason.

question... can i put the "T" closer to the side tank connection as shown in the LAST picture

That’s exactly how I did mine

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

I have what I think is a charcoal canister under the hood do I still need to take it to the engine compartment?

Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

No, that is the expansion chamber. It's just an empty can.
Supposedly fumes go into the chamber, condense back to gas and can be drawn back into the fuel tank. I'm not sure how that would work in reality.... seems dinkydow to me.

Excess fumes get pushed back to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. Air is blown through the charcoal from the fan housing into the air cleaner where they are drawn into the carb.

That's my understanding of how the system works.

d
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

Ok thanks I’ll take a proper look over the weekend
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

neon_guru wrote:
Ok thanks I’ll take a proper look over the weekend

Just a footnote...neither are essential for efficient running of the car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

Correct! It's pollution control equipment.
d
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

Rehashing this topic for additional info

Looking for the hose size to connect to item #2 in pic. I realize this is the spillage/overflow pipe, but I can't figure out the size of the hose to connect to it. Someone in another post I can no longer find showed this connection connected to a copper pipe that mounts behind the pillar cover and runs down to bottom to drain fuel outside. Not sure if VW actually had a hose connected and would just let any overflow drain directly from the end. I have the pics printed out but still can't find the hose size for #2 and then what size copper tube was used.

Second, what is the size of hose in pic #4? It's a short piece that eventually routes back into the tank, I think pressure relief. But again, I can figure out the size of the hose marked #4, Anyone??

Thanks, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

I don't think there is a hose on #2.
my memory is #4 is 16mm, the last one I bought was from VW heritage
hopefully someone can confirm
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, as I've looked at more pics, I think you are correct that #2 doesn't route anywhere. Appreciate the hose size for #4, will look for that. If you confirm or someone else does on the hose size, that would be great.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

I'm working on my gas tank right now. The vent pipe is approx 16mm. The hose size would be 17mm. Hard to find, most places don't carry or out of stock. This place has the hose,Belmetric located in MA. Could use 5/8 or 3/4 from local parts store. I know you want the good German braided. So like me, another wait for parts.
As you can see the pipe is about 16mm. Sorry the tape measure is a little off. Holding with one hand and taking picture in the other.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

Thanks LV, I have the braided hose for that tube you are measuring, the one I am looking for is attached to the filler neck in the wheel well area, but in reality, I think it might be the same size. Should have tried the piece of hose I have to see if the same. Will def check for a 5/8 or 3/4 hose, black standard is fine as I think it is just for pressure release when you open the gas cap.
Jeff

LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's the same size. The question would be: is it flexible enough?
This pipe is the same size 16mm. It comes from the inner fender were it hooks up to the braided hose to the filler neck.
Edit: Ok this is the hose your talking about. Its looks original still on car.
Pretty crusty.
Other end of pipe
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Hose help... 1968 Reply with quote

You know what, DUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH On MY PART!!! How dumb of me, didn't even put two and two together! I spend so much time staring at something and trying to figure out how to fix something and it went over my head! Not good, but I'll recover. Thanks for sledgehammering me back into reality! Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: