Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seattle summer meetup?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Seattle summer meetup? Reply with quote

I know there is a terrific area meetup at Marymoor Park in November, but I'm wondering if there's any interest in a meetup on this side of the lake in the summer when the weather here is absolutely beautiful. In August maybe? We wouldn't need our rain gear that time of year.
Magnolia Boulevard would be a great location for a meetup. There's over a mile of street parking on the Boulevard, and parking is free and unlimited (I confirmed that with SeaTrans today). I rarely see even a single car parked on the Boulevard and I drive it every day, so it could easily accommodate 50 or more vans. Plus the views from up there are some of the best in the city!
Thoughts?
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle summer meetup? Reply with quote

We could crash the Cascade Kombis show on July 30 in Shoreline... most of us won't qualify to show (water cooled category limited to "special interest" like dokas) but the parking area is immense since it is at a community college.

http://www.cascadekombis.org/vintage-meet
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle summer meetup? Reply with quote

Not sure I'm comfortable crashing the Kombi meet. Personally I think a vanagon specific meetup might be better. And Magnolia Blvd would be a great location for one. It's over a mile long with a city park and great views all along the west side. Its part of the Olmstead legacy to Seattle. People could bring (leashed) dogs and their kids to the park too. Much nicer than a parking lot. Parking on the Blvd is free, no time limit, and there is plenty of it. Hate to be a copycat but I'm thinking this could be Seattle's summer version of bURNINGvAN.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle summer meetup? Reply with quote

I like the Magnolia Blvd idea, that would be a nice spot!

To be clear I don't mean "crashing" in a mean way, definitely would not want to do anything to screw up their show (which is awesome, I go every year). Last year there were 4 or 5 Vanagons in the show (out of maybe 200 entrants) and I spotted maybe 8-10 more in the parking area.
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle summer meetup? Reply with quote

It would appear my idea went over about as well as a fart in church! lol
See you at Marymoor in November. On the eastside. In the rain. Smile

Last edited by 2dogs1van on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle summer meetup? Reply with quote

I considered replying. I really like the idea and the location but there's a 33% chance I'd make it. I try to be gone or busy most weekends in the summer. I've never made it to Marymoor either although I'd like to some day.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: