Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Guess the YOM (early notch)
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Guess the YOM (early notch) Reply with quote

So I was sent these pics of an early notch recently. Unfortunately they never got a pic of the VIN so it left me guessing what year this car actually is. The more I looked at the pics the more I second guessed my first assumption it was a 64. I first noticed the high mounted side marker and the lack of front hood trim which are 62/63 items. However it has wrap around front signals and 64 style brake drums. It appears to have the 64 style interior fabric as well. Could this be a late 63 car?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Guess the YOM (early notch) Reply with quote

It's confusing to me too.

64 where someone added high side markers?

The wheel is black and looks like a 64-65 smooth wheel.

It also doesn't have an "S" on the rear end, which a 64-65 that had side trim and "Deluxe" Features would normally have in place.

No front beak is weird too
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Guess the YOM (early notch) Reply with quote

canadian 64/65

63 wouldnt have the chrome trim, among other things. Side marker looks small to me
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Guess the YOM (early notch) Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
canadian 64/65

63 wouldnt have the chrome trim, among other things. Side marker looks small to me

I was thinking maybe the side markers were added. It has the long style rear reflectors, side trim, chrome around the wing windows, and what looks like the shadow of the smaller 1500 logo. Could this have been an early "TS"?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess the YOM (early notch) Reply with quote

Curiosity got the better of me so I had to go check it out in person. Turns out it’s a ‘65 that has had front hood and fenders from a 62/63 installed. Also has one slotted rim from that same donor car as well.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess the YOM (early notch) Reply with quote

And a precursor to the 928 styling of the "lean back" retractable headlights, too!
Wink
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Guess the YOM (early notch) Reply with quote

It looks pretty rough. But any sunroof body is worth something. Are you going to get it?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Guess the YOM (early notch) Reply with quote

It’s a parts car for sure. I’ve passed it onto someone I know who’s in need of some for his 66 notch.
70 911T
91 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: