Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turnsignal Switch Question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay. It's only about 12 dollars from them to get the 49,49a and 31 relay, which is the one that VW went over to starting around 1971. They used to sell the Tridon EP-35, I just looked, and their website shows some no-name EF-35 now for only 10 bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rometsch2880
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that's the issue? I don't know which wires should run to it. It has the two going into this relay. There are no more wires. This is so confusing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I asked because I was wondering if you had them both grounded to the same spot - as a "far out" possible ground issue. I like grounded relays because they flash outside the car first, two-terminal relays light up the dash first, and sometimes take a maddening amount of time before the relay "warms up" and starts flashing the outside lights. But I don't think that would be an issue here, still if I had a euro-spec relay I'd try it next after making sure of rock-solid grounds in back.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rometsch2880
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look at those grounds tomorrow. What would you suggest I look for if my grounds are good?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let me think out loud here for a second. The two DPDT relays seem to be working fine now. You get your correct front and rear lights flashing at the proper rate when you make a turn. But when you've got the flashers going, and then activate the brake light that should be flowing uninterrupted through the other side's relay somehow causes the flasher system to stop working. In theory, this should be impossible, as the two sides are isolated and separated. (which is why you need to make sure no ground issues, because really weird stuff can happen with flaky grounds) You said the parking lights made no difference back - that's yet another power source back there that could potentially feed back into the wrong circuit(s) if there are ground issues, but since yours is not doing it, grrr...

If grounds are all good... I'd get it to act up, bypass the brake light switch (or wedge a snow brush between the pedal and the front seat to activate the brake lights) and with the key on select a turn and get it to "quit", then with a voltmeter make sure you still really do have +12V at the flasher relay. (The X terminal, is actually a Plus and is the side you are supposed to have your power hooked up to on that kind of flasher unit, the L stands for Load, or the wire going to the lights, in your case via the relays) And make sure you still have +12V going from the turn switch to terminal 7 on that side's DPDT relay. You might disconnect it and verify it "clicks" to show it's still responding to that 12V signal.

That's about as deep as I can think of tests at this point. Sorry you've had so much trouble, I don't remember this extent of issues the last time I tried this. Perhaps that trailer adapter setup is best, but in my experience long ago I had better luck with the dual relays. I do hope you figure this out though, if for nothing else to prove that my diagram was correct and that there was nothing that I forgot about (I drew it up on paper from memory, then translated that to a "clean" diagram on the computer)

-Andy
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnsignal Switch Question Reply with quote

My brake lights don't work either! My swf switch has different contacts than the ones pictured on this thread, and it looks like I'm missing one of the contacts. This is how I found it:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put them back together like this but no brake lights or rear blinkers

it's a nice 1960 only switch and the handle is not broken. I'd like to save it! What am I missing?
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnsignal Switch Question Reply with quote

I revived this old thread because it had the best pics of a swf 1960 switch, and the discussion about the contacts. I don't understand how the 4 separate brass pieces work, especially the middle one (s) as I only have one and it was out of place when I took it apart. I'd sure like to save this switch!
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Turnsignal Switch Question Reply with quote

Fixed it! all the taillights work now and I think I can get thru my inspection Embarassed
Sure like to fix the original switch proper, if anyone has pics of it apart and how those contacts work...
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Turnsignal Switch Question Reply with quote

Still looking for some help with the original switch. I don't know if the oval shaped brass contact bridges the 2 triangle shaped ones like I show above - that's how it seems to fit - but previous pics in this and other threads don't show a bridging contact (s). Tried it both ways, with and without bridging, no taillights or blinkers at the rear either way. I don't know if there are 2 of the oval shaped brass thingies like this thread mentions above, a total of 4 contacts?
Anybody out there?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: