Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 cabrio top install
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

I have bought a new canvas top for my 79 Beetle, the top, padding and headliner. The car needed a new wood rear bow which i have.. I don't have any measurements to tell me the height that bow should be, does anyone know how high that bow should be when in the upright position? I have attached pics to help show what i mean. I have taped the wood bow roughly to where i think it could be but really think it's worth getting an exact measurement.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

Let me first start by saying "I don't know the answer to your question".

Having said that...my daughter has a '79 with the top intact and I can measure what I can from the outside of the top if you would like.

The wood bow is usually attached to the back of the car (at least in older models...again not sure about '79s) by a nylon strap. I believe the rear window goes between the base of the top where it attaches to the body of the car and the wooden bow you are talking about.

All that I know about tops is related to older versions...but close enough in year that it should be relatively similar ('70/'71 verts).

Let me know if you want me to try to measure the bow distance from the body where the top attaches to the car.
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

This could be really helpful because when i got the car the rear wood bow was broken and no use as a measurement. The measurement that would be great is the actual height of the rear bow and the distance between where the rear of the top attaches to the car to the top of the rear bow. Perhaps also from the front of the top where it meets the windscreen frame and the centre of the rear bow as well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

I need that measurement as well. Following.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

londonlhdcentre wrote:
I don't have any measurements to tell me the height that bow should be, does anyone know how high that bow should be when in the upright position?
"I'm no expert", but I did just finish successfully installing a new canvas top on my wife's '79 Super Beetle (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713100), and when it came time to mount the new wood bow I checked that it was the same shape/size as the old bow, then measured the distance from the end of the old bow to the locations of the screw holes, marked the locations on the new bow, and drilled pilot holes accordingly. See photo below. I think if you get a '79 SB rear wood bow from a reputable source it should be the proper shape and size, so the key measurements that come into play generally are 1) when you glue the headliner listing to the rear bow (in my case I left about an inch of listing between the bottom of the bow and the headliner (see my gallery) and 2) when you attach the straps from the rear apron to the bow (I had ~23 inches from the top edge of the rear apron at the center point to the leading top edge at the center point of the wood bow). Placing the rear window frame is right up there in importance, too. If you're interested I'm happy to share my thoughts on steps you might consider in order to make installing the rear window less frustrating. Wink Hope that helps Cool
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

Do you have pictures of how you attached the rear window frame to the rear straps?

crocteau wrote:
londonlhdcentre wrote:
I don't have any measurements to tell me the height that bow should be, does anyone know how high that bow should be when in the upright position?
"I'm no expert", but I did just finish successfully installing a new canvas top on my wife's '79 Super Beetle (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713100), and when it came time to mount the new wood bow I checked that it was the same shape/size as the old bow, then measured the distance from the end of the old bow to the locations of the screw holes, marked the locations on the new bow, and drilled pilot holes accordingly. See photo below. I think if you get a '79 SB rear wood bow from a reputable source it should be the proper shape and size, so the key measurements that come into play generally are 1) when you glue the headliner listing to the rear bow (in my case I left about an inch of listing between the bottom of the bow and the headliner (see my gallery) and 2) when you attach the straps from the rear apron to the bow (I had ~23 inches from the top edge of the rear apron at the center point to the leading top edge at the center point of the wood bow). Placing the rear window frame is right up there in importance, too. If you're interested I'm happy to share my thoughts on steps you might consider in order to make installing the rear window less frustrating. Wink Hope that helps Cool
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
londonlhdcentre wrote:

Good info i'll use this.. The bow i have is from Kaeferland in Germany
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
Do you have pictures of how you attached the rear window frame to the rear straps?
No, but I'm sure my approach wasn't unique: When I was working out the position of the window frame, I used a spring-steel binder clip on each side to hold the frame on the straps, and there was about ¼" of strap extending beyond each side of the frame. I marked the position of the frame on the straps and also marked the mid-point on each side of the frame and the corresponding position on the straps. Then I drilled a small pilot hole in each side of the frame and made corresponding holes in the straps (I held a scribe in the flame of a propane torch briefly and used the hot point to melt a small hole in the nylon strap so it wouldn't fray). Finally I applied glue to the frame/strap contact areas, let the glue get tacky, then carefully placed the window frame in the pre-marked positions on the straps, and clipped the frame in place to give the glue a chance to set up. Finally I removed a clip, curled the free edge of the strap onto the outside edge frame edge, used a 5/16" finishing screw through the strap and into the frame to further hold the strap and frame together, and repeated the process on the opposite side. FWIW I had read about the procedure on how to use the metal rod to hold the straps at the rear apron, but it left me with some doubt about how firmly that would anchor the straps. You can see from photos I posted earlier I chose a different way to attach the straps to the body (in part because of the custom tabs I made to replace the broken/missing tabs), and I spent some time measuring where to anchor the straps for steps that were to follow. I'm sure there are many SB convertibles with the straps held by the rods in the rear and they look great and work fine, and I'd guess they could have a rear window frame that is similarly attached to the straps, but I don't really know. Think
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

Thanks. Going to tackle this soon.

crocteau wrote:
zoti wrote:
No, but I'm sure my approach wasn't unique: When I was working out the position of the window frame, I used a spring-steel binder clip on each side to hold the frame on the straps, and there was about ¼" of strap extending beyond each side of the frame. I marked the position of the frame on the straps and also marked the mid-point on each side of the frame and the corresponding position on the straps. Then I drilled a small pilot hole in each side of the frame and made corresponding holes in the straps (I held a scribe in the flame of a propane torch briefly and used the hot point to melt a small hole in the nylon strap so it wouldn't fray). Finally I applied glue to the frame/strap contact areas, let the glue get tacky, then carefully placed the window frame in the pre-marked positions on the straps, and clipped the frame in place to give the glue a chance to set up. Finally I removed a clip, curled the free edge of the strap onto the outside edge frame edge, used a 5/16" finishing screw through the strap and into the frame to further hold the strap and frame together, and repeated the process on the opposite side. FWIW I had read about the procedure on how to use the metal rod to hold the straps at the rear apron, but it left me with some doubt about how firmly that would anchor the straps. You can see from photos I posted earlier I chose a different way to attach the straps to the body (in part because of the custom tabs I made to replace the broken/missing tabs), and I spent some time measuring where to anchor the straps for steps that were to follow. I'm sure there are many SB convertibles with the straps held by the rods in the rear and they look great and work fine, and I'd guess they could have a rear window frame that is similarly attached to the straps, but I don't really know. Think
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

Thanks I’ll post some pics as I do it
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

Zoti, Chris Vallone from classicvwbugs.com has a great 5 part youtube series on a top install. A little boring, yes...but I'm absolutely using it as a guide when I replace my '75 top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
Zoti, Chris Vallone from classicvwbugs.com has a great 5 part youtube series on a top install. A little boring, yes...but I'm absolutely using it as a guide when I replace my '75 top

Yes, I saw it but the 73-79 is a bit different. I think I collected enough info to start my repair and hope for the best. lol
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

Work is underway, thanks all
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

Progressing well

beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 cabrio top install Reply with quote

Looks great!! I would say progressing is an understatement! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: