Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Issue with accelerating and decelerating
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

So I’ve noticed a change to how the van is driving lately. It happened after swapping out the Throttle Body with a rebuilt unit. The idle seems fine at around 800-850. It seems to run fine but here is what I’ve noticed in the few weeks since the repair

The van has stalled three times while the engine was still just warming up and I was just starting to drive it. Going about 10 mph and just dies
Starts right up and then no issues.

It bucks more easily than before the repair. Meaning if I don’t give it enough gas the van sounds like it’s stalling out. I know it will do this but it is much more sensitive and does much more readily than before.

The acceleration seems more sensitive, like it needs more gas to get going but too much causes it to buck

I suppose this sounds like i don’t know how to drive, but I didn’t have any issues like this before and it seems like some adjustment is needed but don’t know what to do.

Last edited by pomfritz on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

hmmmm... my first though is the FPR, fuel pressure regulator - how old is it? is the vac. hose on it is OK?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

As you manually open the throttle (engine off) you should hear a little click just as as it opens then it should click again just before full throttle. That's your throttle position switch. Then as you close the throttle, you should hear the clicks of the switch again coming off full throttle and then again just before closed throttle. There is a procedure you can search for a precise adjustment, but doing the above will tell you if it's close. Did the rebuilt TB come with a new switch?
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

FPR is fairly new, about three years old. will check hose but I may have replaced it too at the same time as I did the fuel lines around then too.

The TB was rebuilt by Frank Condelli, the swtiches are not new but he says he tests them and that the only adjsutment I needed to make was to the idle screw.

BTW this is the TB with the two switches.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

It could be that the idle switch is sometimes sticking in the idle mode.
Try unplugging one of the wires to the idle switch and driving it that way to see if it changes the symptom much.

Mark
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Idle seems a bit low as well
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

You say "switches". Is your 2.3 using a TB with 2 switches? Wasn't that iteration for the 1.9?
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

It’s a 2.3 from GW. It uses the 1.9 components.

That idle switch looks like good lead.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

OK. I guess your year is wired for 1.9.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

Have a few questions on how to do this adjustment.

Note. 1.9 digijet. 2 switches,

Here’s the Bentley page I am working on:

I see the screw. (2) to adjust, but what is meant by closes?

Here is what my switch looks like closed:

Here I am opening the throttle and this is where I hear a click

FWIW, There’s threads to turn the screw in but not many to turn it out.

I’m not sure if I turn the screw in, then how much do I turn it? It’s seem like I will open the throttle some while in its closed position but nothing will change in the switch, as the copper looking bar is already pushing against the switch all the way. Make sense?

I’d like to see if I can figure this out on my own, with some help from the samba

Thanks.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

with the throttle in the "i'm not touching the pedal" position, turn the screw so the switch contact is depressed and you hear the click then turn it a full turn more. this ensures that the contact is firmly closed (making electrical contact)

BiWerks Design, LLC
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with accelerating and decelerating Reply with quote

This is an older thread BUT I wondered if it brought the desired fix?
The OEM throttle body with the 3 switches is tough to adjust without proper diagnostic equipment. I've had TB rebuilds and suffered the same challenge!
It is worth mentioning that changing over to the GW throttle body system is a fine solution (keep the old unit just in case something goes wonky).
Jeffery : )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: