Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Back on the road!
We left the house Sunday morning at 5AM. My son is now driving a Jetta, so we took it and headed out on the 300 mile trip to retrieve the bus:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When we finally made it to the bus, JP had everything back together. I don't even know where to begin or what to say about this guy, so I will just say thank you and I will be forever in your debt!!!
We now have a seriously nice motor!!!

We got a rebuilt fuel pump and distributor from Bill Fowler. This guy is extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and skilled! If anyone out there needs a Piersburg Fuel pump, or a beautifully rebuilt Bosch distributor, go see Bill! His Samba name is WCFVW69 Bill is extremely patient too! Thanks Bill!
We took a test drive:

and went to see another friend, and this buggy showed up:

A very nice buggy, and a good guy owner! The owner has had the car for 40+ years.

Mike did some carb tweaking:

Then off we went. We left southern MA for the 300 mile trip home. The return trip started off nice:

Then it started to rain and hail:

We drove through (and under) Boston:

Made it back to Maine (Only 220 miles to home at this point):

Rest stop:

We will need to seal our window seals up a little more. Whenever it rains, Dawn dish soap bubbles would appear. A few times, they floated through the bus!

Back home safe and sound:

It was a long trip yesterday, and a long road to get to this point. We are so lucky to have this VW community! Thanks everyone. I estimate that the bus is about 2/3 complete. Still lots to do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

great story! This thing is getting a trial by fire! HA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:

Two trips. Three engines. I am getting a serious education. Haha.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Good to see you got the 15 window HOME !!!
J.P. is a great guy, he owns my 1st VW- a '59 Singlecab, and he bought my Rotissiure a few years back.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Good to see you got the 15 window HOME !!!
J.P. is a great guy, he owns my 1st VW- a '59 Singlecab, and he bought my Rotissiure a few years back.

He’s the best.
Good seeing you in Terryville, Tom!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Your engine looks terrific Dave. Glad your trip home was drama free other than the weather.

Thanks for the nice words too.

Bill

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

Ooh, that's rough. I've had a two trip, two blown engines situation. Is your current running engine the third? Or did you blow up three engines?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

Ooh, that's rough. I've had a two trip, two blown engines situation. Is your current running engine the third? Or did you blow up three engines?

This is the third engine and hopefully the last for a long while.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

This is the third engine and hopefully the last for a long while.

OK, so we're tied, then...

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

We decided to take a quick 600 mile road trip to break in the new engine. We have done quite a bit of north to south travels in Maine, but not a lot of exploration in western Maine or New Hampshire. We headed to Mt. Washington for some mountain pass testing. We got to see a lot of beautiful country. It’s a little too cold for me to swim, but my son is not so tender. He jumped off of this rock immediately:

It is amazing to see how the water cuts through the granite over the years, and how the smaller stones get pushed around. “Don’t mess with Mother Nature.” (George Clinton.
Our parking spot for the swimming hole:

It was a beautiful day, but we got some rain in the afternoon. We stopped across from the Mount Washington resort for a beautiful view of the mountain. If you zoom in to the mountain directly behind the hotel, you can see the Cog railway tracks headed straight up the mountain. It was an incredible view:

Good times!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

you say "not so tender".... i think you are just smarter

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
you say "not so tender".... i think you are just smarter

Haha. I’m not so sure about that.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Did you consider taking it up Mount Washington? Haha. Actually I think the trip down would be the sketchy part.

Nice area. We used to make fall trips through there. May start again now that we have the bus.

How did it do on the hills?
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Did you consider taking it up Mount Washington? Haha. Actually I think the trip down would be the sketchy part.

Nice area. We used to make fall trips through there. May start again now that we have the bus.

How did it do on the hills?

We thought about going up the mountain, but I was not ready to commit. I would like to do it sometime though. The bus went decently on the hills. We had to shift down to 3rd a few times (many Rolling Eyes) I think the engine could use a little bit more fine tuning, but it went well considering.
It was beautiful out there. I imagine the fall foliage is a spectacular sight. If you decide to come down and want company for a cruise let us know. We’re in!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

The last day was incredible.

We went back to Mt. Washington to get a better view:

On the drive home we saw a car show in Gorham, so we stopped. They were giving out the long distance award (105 miles was the winner, we would have had them beat!) Outside of the car show we saw a 50's locomotive and an early 60's MMerc Comet. Very nice car:

The entire ride was great. The bus had no issues.
This morning I unloaded the bus and started working on the Z bed. We have been spoiled from sleeping in the Westy. The last two outings we tented. I'm not aganst tenting, but it doesn't rain in the bus (much) I had some 4" flat bar to use for a base to bolt to the floor:

Some Sundial Z bed pieces:

Cut some T bolts:

I just tacked the brackets to the plate. We may do something different in the future:

I did not have much time to work on it, and now I'm out of town until Thursday. I am hoping to have this somewhat finished for the weekend. We are going to a VW campout in VT: VW Camping At Bald Mountain. We went a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I made it back last night and started back on the Z Bed. This is just "temporary" We plan to keep this a passenger bus, but need to do some camping with it for now:

I do not have a plan for the cushion at the moment. I am really liking what SGEllis is building for his bus. We will more than likely order a mattress similar to what Stan has. For now it may just be plywood and a sleeping bag.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

nice work! sgellis has also inspired me to build a removable camper kit for my bus!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
nice work! sgellis has also inspired me to build a removable camper kit for my bus!

Stan is doing an amazing job on his. I suspect yours will be very nice as well!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

I know you are one of the top masters at thinking things through but do you think the particle board could break off sitting too far away from the bracket as a seat or a bed?
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I know you are one of the top masters at thinking things through but do you think the particle board could break off sitting too far away from the bracket as a seat or a bed?

This stuff is pretty rugged. It is called Advantech. It is 3/4 high density moisture resistant, non swelling sub-flooring. I decided to use this particular product because (seriously, I had a chunk of it left over from a project, and was in a time crunch!) I think it will be fine. I am mostly worried about the screws holding the wood to the brackets pulling out. I will likely put through bolts in with anchors in the future, or maybe change the entire setup. I was not liking the amount of overhang on the bench part of the seat. My daughter is 5'4" and she had to sit forward for her legs to fold properly. I am not sure what the original length was. I measured 6' out from the inside of the rear hatch, and that is where it came out. We will be testing it out this weekend. We'll see how it works.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 78 of 86

Jump to: