Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v to 6v
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v to 6v Reply with quote

So the 6 volt (105mm) generator will fit a dog house same as the original 12 volt generator correct? Will the 6 volt (90mm) also work with the taller 90mm stand? What I am doing is converting my 1971 VW bus motor to run the 6 volt system in my 60 beetle with it's 62 trans while I rebuild it's 36 Horse motor. The plan is to use a 6 volt 200mm flywheel, and buy 6 (105mm) but can't seem to find one.
Some photos and some measurements of stands I have. Looks like the 113-101-211E 12Volt generator stand is the one I want to run a 6 volt (105mm) generator on the doghouse.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 113-101-211B and 113-101-211E are both about 88mm from the base to the low point where the generator sets the 113-101-211 is 96mm.

Found this:

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v to 6v Reply with quote

I have no knowledge about 105mm 6 volt generators or 90mm 12 volt generators (have seen a couple of those, never owned or used one.) I've swapped Bug parts around and it has always been a case of using a Bug 6v stand with 6v generator, or a Bug 12v stand with a 12v generator, or a later alternator with an alternator stand (the easy way to go from 6v to 12v.)

You will need the generator stand to have the right saddle size for the diameter of the generator you intend to use. It looks to me like the taller stand is also made for a smaller diameter generator. What I think I see is 2 generator stands for 105mm generators in the front and 1 generator stand for a 90mm generator in the back.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v to 6v Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
and buy 6 (105mm) but can't seem to find one.

Big hint: do an internet search for GR14X generator. Wink
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v to 6v Reply with quote

Yes "EVfun" that is what I have. I have been reading and it looks like the (105mm) 6 volt generator was used on US-Import 6 Volt Beetles in 1966-67 only and on Beetles in other countries as early as 1962 and on US Split window buses since 1962.
I will try the combinations I can and Post here, Thanks for the replies

PS Thanks "mukluk for the GR14X hint that would be the (105mm) 6 Volt Generator.
Saw this one: GR14X and Porsche 12Volt Gen Large Dia and this GR14 for just $54.95. Not sure the website may be a scam site in Germany.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: