Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI Headliner Question.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

So, I finally have taken the TMI headliner completely ou of the box to let it lay out and get rid of some of the wrinkles before I install it.

Upon inspection I noticed something a bit strange. The sleeves that the bows run through have been sewn flat to the edges where the plastic side lock bit is. Now very picture I've seen of these things and the one I took out had the sleeve section freely hanging.

So, am I supposed to cut this sleeve free? If so, please enlighten me where and how this gets done.

Or...did I get the last piece made on a Friday?

Thanks for any help, the whole headliner thing seems to be a dark art that no one speaks of...did the search.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

You are supposed to cut the sleeves farther up from the edge. That is normal. Around 5-6 inches. Just cut them all the same. You'll be able to see from the underside how the bow area stops and the area hanging down then glued above the window swags down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

When cutting the sleeves the you are also cutting the threads that are sewn through the material to create the sleeve. Is there a chance that the sleeve will unravel? The sleeve is not a loop of the material that is just sewn at the bottom to create a sleeve, in this case it's 2 pieces of material that are sewn together with a gap to create a sleeve.

Gordo.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
When cutting the sleeves the you are also cutting the threads that are sewn through the material to create the sleeve. Is there a chance that the sleeve will unravel? The sleeve is not a loop of the material that is just sewn at the bottom to create a sleeve, in this case it's 2 pieces of material that are sewn together with a gap to create a sleeve.

Gordo.

Can you post a picture of your end and the sewn parts where it needs cut? Mine I had to cut and did a little angle too at the finish cut.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

Here is the sleeve end. All are the same as this except the very back one that is hooked into the fold over clips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So many of the threads are loose and not finished. I know it's not a wedding dress, but I want to go around the whole thing and glue all the thread ends.

Gordo.

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

With the loops made like that you definitely want to sew the loops at the cuts you make to keep them from unraveling. That is a bad design. I don't remember the loops I cut being sewn on the high side of the loop like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

Make your cut parallel to that photo's frame top line. Cut down close to the headliner. Whip it like EmpiGT said. Abandon/orphan that remaining part into the headliner grip.

Can't say when so don't wait but I have my original I can take a photo of the distance and cut but mine isn't sewn like that.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on this guys. My wife has quite a bit of experience with sewing, but this being industrial type and on a car not her forte. But, she does know how to finish a stitch.

I found online (not the Samba) that some use a hog ring at the end of the sleeve to reinforce it and lessen the chance of it tearing when stretched. But I think if I'm going to have a needle and thread out already, I'll just run a dozen loops at the end as a bit of a bonus.

"Roger" on the angular cut to spread the load down towards the edges.

I ran out of glue, so the install is on hold 'til next weekend.

How hot does it need to be for a headliner install?

Gordo.

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

At least it's a dry heat.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

This is an original from my '65 Standard Sunroof at the rearmost bow which is the same as non-sunroof. This shows how the loft is sewn and cut.

This shows the distance from the edge of the material to the loft cut.

This shows the distance from the hanging portion only to the loft cut.

This shows the original loft how VW looped it unlike yours.

I know you like Celsius and metric but just deal.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

Thanks for that, it helps. The rear most sleeve will not be much of a problem, as the bow is a short one . The long bows need to come out of the sleeve at a point that allows the remainder of the headliner to keep its shape to the locks on the side.

I have convinced my wonderfully talented wife to help me with this, to which she says she can "just ....something , something something with the sewing machine " . That stuff is a whole other language that I don't even try to understand. But, I will graciously accept the assistance.

also...I'm bilingual. I speak inches and centimetres, miles and kilometres, and Fahrenheit and Celsius....but I draw the line Litres not Gallons, especially not American Gallons. (how did you get your own Gallons anyways?)

Gordo.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

Thanks for that, it helps. The rear most sleeve will not be much of a problem, as the bow is a short one . The long bows need to come out of the sleeve at a point that allows the remainder of the headliner to keep its shape to the locks on the side.

But the bus walls are the same distance apart so I think the loft cut is all the same.

Also the way yours are sewn you will need to cut closer to the sewn headliner to keep that flap from distorting where the lofting bow pulls upward.

also...I'm bilingual. I speak...
Fathoms or ? Canadian dollars or ? I still have some funny CDlls I only got .70 USD for.

...but I draw the line Litres not Gallons, especially not American Gallons. (how did you get your own Gallons anyways?)

Ours' is Queen Anne's. You guys changed and then kept the new British random size.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Headliner Question. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

But the bus walls are the same distance apart so I think the loft cut is all the same.

That is true, however this is an eleven window headliner and the section from the last full length bow to the last (short bow) and onto the end, has no side clips or plastic tab. It appears to be stretch and glue, then the upper panels lock them in.

I think with the sleeves I will have them sewn so it could be trimmed back in 1/2" increments and still be a finished stitch. That way if it seems as though it's pulling a bit I can extend the loft cut further.

First things first... need some big ass tough needles for the sewing machine.

Gordo.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: