Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
179westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

Hello all ! Im a new member and need your help. Im about to sell my neighbors 1979 Westfalia. I want to price it right not scare everyone away. I would appreciate any insight. Here is my description of the vehicle.
1979 Type 2 VW Westfalia Camper Van is probably the best condition most un-restored 1979 Westfalia you will find! It gets looks and offers whenever it's out on the road. It is in great condition, WITH NO RUST ! It has been garaged and well cared for. It comes with a rare factory automatic transmission and Air Conditioning (needs a recharge to blow cold). The engine runs great and has just been completely rebuilt. 4 New tires. The brakes were recently done. This is a two owner California car. The first owners bought it new then the husband became sick before their dream of traveling the country and was sold to the second owner in 1980. The Bus has the original perfect factory floor carpets (Front and Rear) Westfalia Deluxe Edition amenities include a sink with 7-gallon water tank and icebox. Gas stove with cook top range. Hard to find original fold-out center front table. The paint on this VW Bus is ORIGINAL NOT REPAINTED !!!!! The first owners added the brown stripe as pictured but it has crazed over time. The body is straight, no repaint or previous damage. It does have a handful of minor door dings etc. and one small crease on the driver side upper rear engine vent. Passenger sliding door window louvers need some tweaking to stay open. All doors and hatches line up and close properly. This Westfalia has been maintained from day one..! Original veneered cabinets. AM/FM Cassette player and multiple speakers. Many camping supplies included: propane canisters, hanging shower, removable porta- potty, foot operated air pump and many other items. Bus has a sofa bed in the cabin, but also double bed in the pop-up roof area as well. Canvas shows some wear and front seats could use some refreshment. Volkswagen and Westfalia were way ahead of their time for convenience and practicality of design. You will not find another original garage kept Westfalia like this that hasn't been repainted with inferior two stage modern paint. Extensive receipts and maintenance logs will be offered with the car upon purchase. more pictures available. Odometer reads 20,050 vehicle has only 120k TOTAL MILES since new. SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY. Follow link
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1923697.jpg[/img]

Last edited by 179westfalia on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

A quick search comes up with two 1979 buses for sale in CA with asking price between 16k and 23k. To be fair, neither has automatic transmission or A/C. These can be argued as affecting the price negatively or positively, depending on the buyer.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
179westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. Wish they still held the "Bug in" in so cal
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

Hello, Here we go again....
That's going on with those vents cut into the side of the bus????? Those sure don't look original..... just messed up added shit too me. You should change your add, it has been messed with, it's not original.
Don't get me wrong, it is pretty clean for being an older bus. But it is not all original......
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

The vents are for an aftermarket 3 way fridge, from the inside it appears to have been done well, could be a nice addition even though it deviates from stock. There's a few other non original additions but nothing horrifying, seems fairly clean overall as well. A PPI report from a qualified bus specific inspector would go a long way towards putting a price on it, it would be worth spending some money on that.
Nice looking bus, good luck with your sale.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
179westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I am not an expert on these type 2's. There is no ad posted anywhere that is why i'm here getting your input. It is no problem to revise my description. This Bus is being sold by a young woman who's father just died and she is closing out his entire estate by herself. I am just trying to help her out. She is not a wealthy person. and all I have is what she can remember about the bus. I would guess she has all the receipts for any work that was done to the Westy. The father was meticulous with his records on the vehicle but they are in her possession not mine. She lives in the Bay area and I live in so. cal where the bus is. I have no intention of mis-representing the vehicle, again that is why im here on the forum. Thank you for the insight
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

The Bay Area is where you want to sell this, by auction with reserve.

Forum people have no money. Harsh but true. Here you will get lowball flippers and parts people.
179westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

Thank you again for your constructive advice. I will let everyone know how this thing goes
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

Can you share where this bus is located? I’m in San Diego and I do inspections
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
179westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

I have no authorization to spend money on an appraisal. Car is in woodland hills Ca.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

Help me out here bro. I’ve been into buses for decades. I have money to spend and great advice that’s free. Help me see your bus and. We will get something going soon.

Send me an addresses I’m having a tough time location you
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Advise on pricing 1979 Bay window Westfalia Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The Bay Area is where you want to sell this, by auction with reserve.

Forum people have no money. Harsh but true. Here you will get lowball flippers and parts people.

There are exceptions to every rule and you have found one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: