Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

I've been looking for 2 untracked steering wheels for a '72 and a'73 I'm building.

been running ads, NO LUCK.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for untracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

Don't have any personally.

Try moving your WTB ad to the late model beetle parts category.

Being in the General parts section your ad may get lost in all the shuffle and massive number of ads.

Just a thought.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for untracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
I've been looking for 2 untracked steering wheels for a '72 and a'73 I'm building.

been running ads, NO LUCK.

anyone here have 2 or anyone know of an excellent reproduction avail?

Call Derrick at wayout salvage 479 665 4126
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for untracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, what is an untracked steering wheel?
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for untracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

This ^^^

unCracked steering wheel?

H2OSB
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for untracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

I don't think anyone makes a new version of the padded/"plastic" steering wheels in later models. I've been looking for a couple years. I found some leather wrap online yesterday that you sew on yourself. I'm not sure if you're interested in doing that as an alternative, but I'll post my results once done. Otherwise, it looks like there are very few stock steering wheels for 72+ models that are still in good shape visually. When you find one, it's not cheap. I think Tim Donahoe has a good one. He's still using it though.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for untracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
calvinater wrote:

This ^^^

unCracked steering wheel?

I couldn't figure that one out either !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for untracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

cracked wheels can be repaired. File notches in wheel at cracks to remove crack, make undercuts, then use a body filler to fill, then sand to shape, prime and paint. It is a bit of a chore, but can result in a nice wheel. however new crack can always appear. keeping car out of heat, ie out of the sun, parked on hot days, and of course gentle use of the wheel can probably help extend the life of the wheel.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for untracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

There are plenty of 1974 onwards new steering wheels available. But NOS 1973 and before seem to be a bit rare on the ground. You can buy a good used 1973 and earlier steering wheel and they are readily available.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

PS

Someone knew what an untracked steering wheel was. Not me.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

Slowbug mentioned a leather steering wheel cover. I used the Wheelskin brand leather cover on my 1974 steering wheel. Mine wasn’t cracked (it’s covered in rubber, anyway), but I wanted to preserve the rubber padding around the circumference of the wheel. Also, I liked the leather cover for its aesthetic quality,

However, if your spokes are cracked, the Wheelskin won’t cover the portion of the wheel where the spokes meet the wheel. And installing the Wheelskin takes awhile, but once done, it’ll last for years.

Tim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

You can find some good used ones. You can also try restoring your own. The most difficult part is the part where it's cracked.

You might try https://kochs.com/ to see if they can restore your wheel.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

I hate to mention them, but MidAmerica used to carry a tube of stuff that they advertise is especially for restoring cracked steering wheels. It’s a kind of epoxy putty. You apply, let set up, then sand and shape. Afterwards, you paint.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I hate to mention them, but MidAmerica used to carry a tube of stuff that they advertise is especially for restoring cracked steering wheels. It’s a kind of epoxy putty. You apply, let set up, then sand and shape. Afterwards, you paint.

Tim

I used an epoxy putty (not theirs) to repair mine. I drilled out around the cracks and then filled it in and sanded it down. I then painted it. It looked real nice. The issue with doing this type of repair is it doesn't prevent it from cracking again. There's nothing to hold the two sections together as the steering wheel bends and flexes. The cracks will be smaller but they will still appear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

I just wrapped mine today. Overall, i like it. Went for a quick spin, and it's got a nice feel to it. I'd suggest giving the one of these a try before investing in a new wheel.

Last edited by 73SlowBug on Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

That’s a nice, tight wrap, Slow. It looks good.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

Be careful with the buttons. They will also crack easily.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

Did mine 22 years ago, still looks good.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

Glenn, that gives me hope for mine to last as long.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Been searching for uncracked '72/73 steering wheel Reply with quote

Search in Europe or cold wet states in the US. Heat damages the wheels as well as long term use, get one from a bug that rotted out inside 10-15 years and the wheel will be hardly used.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: