Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I think the answer is yes but....

is the design of the Vanagon power steering system, in particular pump design, similar or the same as other vehicles? [edit: same as other vehicles of that era]

I'm almost finished my ABA engine conversion using early style diesel vanagon engine bars. I'd planned to mount the WBX PS pump on the ABA engine but reading this reservoir position, feed hose etc. article:

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pdf/tech/reservoir_tips.pdf

mounting the pump higher up, thus close to the same height as reservoir and having the feed line droop down before rising up to the pump, would be a very poor design.

from that article

"The pump works remarkably well at pushing fluid out but not so great at pulling it in. Since the pump is fed by the reservoir mainly through gravity, reservoir placement is critical."

Had I known that basic concept i wouldn't have wasted all this time figuring out brackets etc. Rolling Eyes Wishful thinking has me hoping this doesn't apply to the Vanagon.

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Just place the reservoir above the pump. That's it.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

So even if reservoir is only 1-2" higher than pump, thats ok?

I'm still figuring out range of pump motion for belt adjustment, bracket design etc. but with the WBX pump mounted on the ABA accessory bracket (close to alternator), the reservoir will end up close to or at best, only slightly above the pump.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

So even if reservoir is only 1-2" higher than pump, thats ok?

Yep, gravity is a remarkable invention!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

That could be true if the reservoir is also near the pump. If mounted far from the pump you could need more rise, so that the pump doesn't suck air when the vehicle is at an extreme angle.

Mark

Vanagon Nut wrote:

So even if reservoir is only 1-2" higher than pump, thats ok?....
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

All the answers above are correct. You probably won't have any problems as long as your reservoir is above the pump. Link below discusses "Net Positive Suction Head" and how it affects your pump. Try to maximize the reservoir height within reason.

http://www.pumpschool.com/applications/NPSH.pdf
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Steve M. Ha ha. Yes. I hear ya. I just don't know the physics, math etc behind all this. Farf: thanks for the PDF link. I had a quick look and basically understand points made. I see in "Solving NPSH Problems" section re: increasing NPSHa mention of using a larger pump at lower RPM. In this particular instance, using a WBX pump with Mk3 pulleys on Mk3 engine, making gross assumptions on idle speed, and assuming my math is ok, the WBX pump should have a lower RPM:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694617&highlight=power+steering+rpm

Mark. Ok. Thanks. I've viewed other similar swaps, seen where the reservoir is; mine will be similar. And, I just found pics of a Suby swap where the feed hose actually runs way above the reservoir. I haven't read the entire thread but it seems the PS on that swap works. In my case, hoses to/from reservoir could even be shortened.

Ok. So it sounds like I was over thinking this and worrying needlessly. At this point, the pump reservoir will be mounted at the LH corner forward of the space in front of tail light. This may allow 1 or both hoses to reservoir to be shortened. I'll post an image showing pump and approximate location of reservoir.

I'm really hoping this actually works reliably. I really want power steering. And, this might provide others using the early style carrier bars with an option for power steering. (no AC)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Ok. So to my eye, the reservoir will be about level with the pump. But I think I can shorten bracketry between pump and ABA bracket so pump might be a little lower.

Mock up: WBX PS pump on ABA bracket, WBX PS reservoir

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View of same looking toward passenger side

Mock up (brackets not yet designed)

ABA alternator, WBX PS pump with OE brackets

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Hi folks.

While searching for info regarding a steering issue that has begun on this van, found this thread, thought I'd report back.

Except for the recent issue, the power steering works. i.e. the pump location, hose routing, does not seem to be an issue.

Current issue: steering wheel does not return easily to center after turning a corner. As far as I can tell, the steering wheel always returned to centre. IOW, this isn't likely something I "just noticed".

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Neil, I'm curious why you didn't use either Mk2 or Mk3 power steering pump and accessory brackets? It would seem easier than making a custom bracket and at least on the diesels it is all plug and play with the Vanagon reservoir and rack.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

So it was a power steering van before? Same rack, spindles, etc? Have you checked the caster? Almost every vehicle on the street should return to straight on its own. I don’t see how the pump and reservoir location could affect how the steering returns to center.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Neil, I'm curious why you didn't use either Mk2 or Mk3 power steering pump and accessory brackets? It would seem easier than making a custom bracket and at least on the diesels it is all plug and play with the Vanagon reservoir and rack.

Oh, you know. I "saw the sport in it". (making the parts) LOL. Just kidding.

I used early style diesel Vanagon carrier bars but moved the engine mount brackets rearward to accommodate the ABA engine to the WBX engine (i.e. transaxle) position. So, there did not appear to be enough room for the Mk3 ABA PS pump or rather, one of the hoses; the pump ended up closer to the bend at rear end of the carrier bar than it would've if engine mounted at "diesel" position.

In hindsight, now, maybe "flipping" the tranny front mount would've been a better route. I did this on my other ABA van but did so to accommodate the engine carrier I'd made (van was air cooled)

The bracket is pretty overbuilt. I haven't inspected the stock ABA accessory bracket for cracks but I don't think the added weight, stress of the Vanagon PS pump and new bracket has adversely affected it.

Not a great pic but it shows the ABA PS pump relative to the carrier before engine bracket fabricating

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
So it was a power steering van before? Same rack, spindles, etc? Have you checked the caster? Almost every vehicle on the street should return to straight on its own. I don’t see how the pump and reservoir location could affect how the steering returns to center.

Yes. This was a power steering van before I did the engine conversion. After the engine swap, nothing was changed at front end. UCA bushings were changed out before the engine swap, not many miles ago, but no speaking has been heard. Van tracks fine.

The alignment was done at a very Vanagon aware shop with their own rack so I'm assuming castor is ok. Tire wear is even though maybe poor castor wouldn't be a big factor in uneven tire wear?

I too can't see the ps pump et all causing a poor return to centre but could a clogged PS pump filter be a factor in that?

I posted another thread on this so maybe I should be replying there.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation.

Too little positive caster would be my guess. I have personally experienced a power steering rack that would get 'stuck' not applying any power assist and then would occasionally come to life at times. While this is the opposite scenario and I haven't personally experienced it, I imagine it would be possible that the rack power control valve could 'stick' applying power this way or that and make centering more difficult.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Power Steering Pump Height relative to Reservoir Reply with quote

Thanks ?Waldo? and Mark for comments on castor.

The alignment was done with Hankook 14" tires installed. Shortly after engine swap was running, I switched to Mefro 15" wheels and Michelin "Defender" M&S tires. But that change shouldn't affect castor, I think.

My initial thought or concern was binding at upper and/or lower ball joints or tie rod inner or outer ends.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: