Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagnosing a stumbling type 4 Engine
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing a stumbling type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Coil resistance readings, unless way off, are generally a poor indicator of coil condition. Best diagnosis is to swap in a known good coil and see if the symptoms improve.

I assume you've checked the points and the points plate ground wire.

Might swap in a known good condenser (although "new" ones have been somewhat marginal lately...).
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing a stumbling type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Thank You - I've 'looked' at the points and cleaned them with some fine grit sand paper. I checked the connections on the condenser and didn't 'see' any anomalies. I have a new coil, condenser, and a new set of points standing by but want to test each component separately rather then just swap out parts without a logical approach.

From what I can see here, the connections look solid.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I said in my earlier post, electronic diagnosis kicks my butt so am grateful for the help here. I'm trying to learn how to work through the components systematically track to down the problem rather than just swap out parts and 'hope ' for the best.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing a stumbling type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
I've 'looked' at the points and cleaned them with some fine grit sand paper.

From what I can see in the pic, it looks like the points have seen better days. The contact faces should be flat, smooth, and shiny, and they must meet squarely.

Under the rotor, there should be a flat bare copper braid wire connecting the fixed part of the points plate assembly to the movable plate the points are mounted on. Make sure this is intact and well fastened on either end.

Quote:
I checked the connections on the condenser and didn't 'see' any anomalies. I have a new coil, condenser, and a new set of points standing by but want to test each component separately rather then just swap out parts without a logical approach.

From what I can see here, the connections look solid.

As I said in my earlier post, electronic diagnosis kicks my butt so am grateful for the help here. I'm trying to learn how to work through the components systematically track to down the problem rather than just swap out parts and 'hope ' for the best.

An admirable diagnostic method, for sure, and one I highly recommend - given proper test equipment (like an ignition 'scope). Without that, some times the quickest method is to substitute a known good part, and I think that this one of them. That said, I'd do it one part at a time (in this order: points, condenser, coil). If the substitution doesn't make a significant difference, either swap the old part back in, or save it as a good spare.

From the pic, the distributor looks a mite dirty. I'd be inclined to pull it, carefully disassemble the big pieces (vacuum can, points plate, wiring), and give it a good cleaning and lube. If you leave the hold down clamp attached to the distributor, you should be able to reinstall it without significantly affecting the timing.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing a stumbling type 4 Engine Reply with quote

It sounds to me that you are having intermittent spark issues causing the engine to miss on one or more cylinders. I know that some people here have had excellent results with NGK plugs and wires. I am a big fan of Genuine Japanese parts. Even if this does not solve your problem it will be money well spent. But I have a feeling that one or more of your spark plug ends is not continuously operating as it should which is why you are getting good to decent to bad back to good results. These engines vibrate quite a bit unless they are perfectly balanced. NGK plug wires do not have the issues that many of the other brands do in this regard. Just a thought.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing a stumbling type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Thanks Hoody,

Again, trying to learn to diagnose as opposed to swapping out parts and hoping for a change, how do we evaluate the health of the plugs? Obviously, they can be removed and inspected but if they 'look' to be in good health, how do you determine if they are firing properly?
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing a stumbling type 4 Engine Reply with quote

I pulled the plugs and as you see, there is lots of buildup from my overly rich running carb. Might this have an effect on the intermittent issue I'm dealing with?

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing a stumbling type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Yes....those plugs will definitely cause issues. PM sent.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: