Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front body mount help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: front body mount help Reply with quote

I have a 1965 vw convertible. If you haven't been following my novel, here are the basics. The car has recently been painted - body off complete rehab. When I picked the car up, I remember the doors being aligned. Something changed soon thereafter and now the left (driver's) door is low. (I put a thread in the body/paint section but really should have put it here).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had tried raising the door, the hinges look good and then I discovered the front body mounts weren't flush with the beam. You could spin the rubber washer underneath. I thought I'll tighten down the front mounts and that should fix it.
Driver's side

Passenger's side - which isn't a problem - but you can spin the rubber washer.

Drained the gas tank and reached under to tighten them. They were already tight. I thought before I strip something out, I need to research the length of the bolt. It is correct 10x1.5x25 - just to be sure I took a brand new one out of the package, inserted it and same results.
This is the area I'm talking about.

Next, I thought I'd loose up the pan bolts and try jacking it up in the front - nope. I tried along the heater channels - nope.
So now I'm at a loss. I have not touched the 4 back mounts as I don't see that as the problem. I guess there could be many theories - did something get twisted? I don't know. I don't believe they were tight when the body was placed back on the pan.

So, next steps for getting the body flush with the beam and raising the front door?
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

Are those front threaded holes blind? Think not, but not sure.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

While the body being twisted does make some sense, I would expect to see the gap at the rear of the door narrower at the top than at the bottom if it were the case and that's not what I'm seeing in the above pictures. Your forward edge gap looks even and the gap in front of the vent window looks a bit large. Couple that with the trim and body line of the door not matching up with the front quarter, and it seems as though the entire door is sitting low. Can you adjust it upward so the trim and body line match up?
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

E&B - I stuck a long screwdriver in there just to make sure I wasn't bottoming out. I then took off the metal plate on top to see how far the bolt would go down and it went past where it stopped with the metal washer in. So I'm thinking its the body that is preventing me from tightening down the bolt. I was afraid if I tried to tighten it down even further I would either break the body tab or mess up the threads on the beam. Is that a reasonable fear?

Mukluk - I tried adjusting the hinges/door. Here are a few pictures.

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

I don’t think you have the correct rubber mounting bushings in the front
They should look like this

I went through this on my 64vert, and it ended up being the rears. You would be amazed how much a little distance makes in door alignment on the rear mounts. Read every post on door alignment, and the same goes for the Bentley. Your door gaps at the front of the doors look good. It just takes time and minute adjustments .
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

The reason that I pointed this out, is because from what I see in your pics, they are not thick enough, and therefore the front mounts look like they are not tightened enough. Make sense?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
Is that a reasonable fear?

Definitely a fear. Thought maybe the bolt was not pressing against the body tab.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

Ashley - makes sense. I measured mine and they are 10mm. I see where there are 10mm and 17mm online. I've read the Samba, Bentley and been on line. From what I understand, it seems as though the front use the 17mm thickness as you suggest and the rears are usually the 10mm in thickness. I'll be ordering the 17mm. I'm also going to check out the rears a little closer.

The doors were indeed lined up when I picked it up. I remember opening and closing them without any problems. A picture I took when I picked it up verified it. So they were lined up at one time and something changed afterwards. Maybe somehow they had done a temporary fix. I don't know. But I'm going to keep after it until I get it right. I'll have to see what works and make adjustments until I get it right. The solution is there, I just have to find it.

The day I picked it up after driving it around.

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

E&B - without the metal washer on top, I can tighten the bolt down past the body tab. It's the body that's not going down. I think Ashley is right - I need the thicker pads, take a look at the rear and keep after it until it's right.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

I find it interesting that I can't find anybody talking about needing to shim the front body mounts - not in the Bentley manual or online. Guess they are meant to be permanent once tightened down. There are a lot of referrals to the rear body mounts and their adjustment.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

When I got my car back from the body shop, just the opposite ! Doors did not line up as good as when it went in . They are a very good body shop, but like most, do not know all of the “tricks” and subtle little finessing that must be done to get a VW vert “right”. What I found was that the rubber mounts on the rear were a. Loose on the driver’s side , and b. The rubber mount was gone on the passenger’s side, it must have just finally fallen out with age. The little rubber mounting pads you can get from WW or WCM were not thick enough to get the height I needed... so off to the auto paint store, and ended up buying some hard plastic body trim ( that would not shrink and relax) to get the spacing I needed. Again , you will have to experiment, and you WILL figure it out. I read somewhere that one of the high end VW shops in Phoenix actually uses thick metal washers on sedans to get the spacing correct. And no, shims are not used ( or needed) on the front mount that I am aware of. You will need to adjust the height on each side , and go back and forth until you get it right .
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

Here is my driver’s side . Note: this side needed about 3/16” of spacing at the rear mount. Has been 2 years, and has not needed any further adjustment.

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

Sent you a pm...
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: front body mount help Reply with quote

ashley1 wrote:
Here is my driver’s side . Note: this side needed about 3/16” of spacing at the rear mount. Has been 2 years, and has not needed any further adjustment.

My passenger side door on my 61 bug hangs slightly low compared to the body's trim line (I have new hinge pins and adjusted all I could). So should I add shim spacing to the rear body mount or reduce shim thickness to the rear body mount to help line up the door and body lines. My driver side door is lined up great. Thank you for your help in advance.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: