Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkitesurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

Is it possible and doable to replace the stock oil pump on a type 4 with the engine in.
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

It is possible but it would probably be easier to go ahead and remove the engine as the exhaust, mustache bar and fan shroud along with some cooling tins have to be removed to access it.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

It's not that hard. I've done it several times.

You don't need to remove the exhaust OR the mustache bar if you can remove the fan shroud studs. They are difficult to double nut but you might be able to pull it off. Easier to tack weld the nuts onto the studs which turns them into bolts.

Basic steps, from memory

1) Remove the fan cover and loosen the alternator, remove belt
2) Remove foam seal from the area and remove 3 pieces of tin. The obvious ones. You have to remove the oil fill port to do this.
3) Unbolt and remove the fan
4) Unbolt the coil and move it out of the way.
5) Loosen the top tin
6) Remove those pesky 4 studs from the fan shroud
7) Remove attachments from fan shroud to exhaust (if they're still there)
Cool Remove fan shroud

Voila. Now you have access to the pump.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

Just keep in mind you may have to loosen some of the smaller stud
nuts along that perimeter of the case. And a couple pry bars for the 'ears'
on the original pump, so the body does not cock in the case recess when
prying it out.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

Why do you believe you need a new pump? Did it suck something into it and shear? Are you having low oil pressure at idle? What’s the problem?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
It's not that hard. I've done it several times.

You don't need to remove the exhaust OR the mustache bar if you can remove the fan shroud studs. They are difficult to double nut but you might be able to pull it off. Easier to tack weld the nuts onto the studs which turns them into bolts.

Basic steps, from memory

1) Remove the fan cover and loosen the alternator, remove belt
2) Remove foam seal from the area and remove 3 pieces of tin. The obvious ones. You have to remove the oil fill port to do this.
3) Unbolt and remove the fan
4) Unbolt the coil and move it out of the way.
5) Loosen the top tin
6) Remove those pesky 4 studs from the fan shroud
7) Remove attachments from fan shroud to exhaust (if they're still there)
Cool Remove fan shroud

Voila. Now you have access to the pump.

I’m not the original poster, but doing exact same job at the moment, so watching with interest. Also need to detach thermostat cable from cooling flaps. Mines due to low oil pressure, and I’ve beeen meaning to ask whirldtraveller if the o-ringed pump fixed your pressure issues? I’m going for a measured up type 4 pump instead of sloppy type 1 pump in there now.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

Are you seeing low oil pressure at idle or all the time. My point is you may have a good pump but an internal leak in another place. You might change the pump and find out later it was all for naught.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Are you seeing low oil pressure at idle or all the time. My point is you may have a good pump but an internal leak in another place. You might change the pump and find out later it was all for naught.

I’m seeing low oil pressure all the time (when hot) - just over 1 bar at 3000rpm. I fitted a gauge to confirm flickering oil light after a run. Any internal leak is going to be a bigger job than trying the pump first.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

Aang wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I’m seeing low oil pressure all the time (when hot) - just over 1 bar at 3000rpm. I fitted a gauge to confirm flickering oil light after a run. Any internal leak is going to be a bigger job than trying the pump first.

Not if it’s the bypass plunger. These can be checked and if wallowed out can be oversized and a custom plunger made. Not as hard as trying a new pump which usually are ok
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Aang wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Not if it’s the bypass plunger. These can be checked and if wallowed out can be oversized and a custom plunger made. Not as hard as trying a new pump which usually are ok

I'd agree with this. The replacement bypass system from tangerine racing works very well for me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ericlottaallthat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

How do you check the bypass plunger?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

To check the plunger:

First off, the plunger is hard steel. The bore it moves in is soft magnesium. Over the life of your engine case it’s very possible that there exists extreme wear now which can cause an internal leak in your oiling system.

1). Go under the engine and look up. Near the oil pump you should find a steel plug with a straight slot in the head to accept a very large screwdriver tip.
2). Get an oil catch pan and place under
3). Remove the plug by turning ccw
4). The plug, a spring, and the plunger should now fall into the pan
5). You don’t need to drain the engine oil. Only a small amount with come
6). Inspect the plunger and bore looking for wear
7). If needed do some cleaning
Cool. The plunger has a hole in one end, either buy the proper tool a
Or make something to hold the plunger. Some people will use a wooden dowel for this.
9). Now slide the plunger up into the bore and feel for side play. It should be a close fit and not flop around much.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

Here is where to need to be to get near the oil pump and what you need to remove to get there:

Aang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

[quote="RalphWiggam"]
aeromech wrote:
I'd agree with this. The replacement bypass system from tangerine racing works very well for me.

I'd seen those (and your readings with it), but does the bypass valve near the oil pump not just bypass the oil cooler, and as such, shouldn't have much effect on pressure? Although I did check my stock plunger and spring while fitting oil temp sensor. I'd have thought the valve nearer the flywheel is more important - but there doesn't seem many bits for that one.

Thanks for the picture Wasted youth - I'm nearly there with mine - just the studs to undo with stud extractor or welded nut - not enough room for two nuts.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

There are a number of folks who have removed the studs and replaced them with bolts to make jobs like this easier.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

Where did my quote come from? I don’t remember ever having success with something from any company called tangerine racing. I’ve always custom made a new plunger and reamed the bore
Type 4 motors only have one bypass unlike my 1971 type 1.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Where did my quote come from? I don’t remember ever having success with something from any company called tangerine racing. I’ve always custom made a new plunger and reamed the bore

Admit it.
You're also RalphWiggam.
This is great, like the end of Fight Club.....
Aang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Sorry - that was me trying to make the quote a bit neater! Rolling Eyes Embarassed

My 73 type 4 motor has two relief valves.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of that? Ah, there is a horizontal bypass located under #1 piston I wasn’t thinking of
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Aang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Oil pump replace with engine in Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Can you post a pic of that? Ah, there is a horizontal bypass located under #1 piston I wasn’t thinking of

This is both valves next to each other.

And where it lives next to pushrods behind its trihex cap. (On my parts engine)

This is inside the relief valve near the pump and I can see how some oil bleeds straight back to the sump down the vertical channels.

I can see how a stronger spring or the tangerine racing valve can help here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: