Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Thought I'd share info on DIY woodgrain dash as no RHD moulds available. Found a vinyl that's similar to original, called 3M Di Noc fine wood FW-1738vinyl, (they have many other colours). Clean dash, make sure smooth as shows up any imperfections. Stretch and lay flat on dash with backing removed. Very short bursts of of heat gun to mold with your fingers and aim for no wrinkles. Cut out holes with razor being very careful.
My other cars got it on the dash and its still good after a year of Australian summer! IMO looks way better than the plastic ones available.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Awesome Hack! Awesome job!

Applause

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Looks good Andy, I did the same thing a few weeks ago using the Dinoc Birds Eye Maple. Check out page 8 of my build and you can see how mine looks. I really like the look of this product over the plastic replacement, and once I got the hang of it, it went on pretty easy. I Plan to use it in more places in my Ghia.
Good job!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Hi Andy
Is that car a '69 swing axle, Aussie delivered, with the battery under the back seat by any mischance?
That dash looks great
Ian
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Yep, that looks good.

When are you coming to Auckland? My car needs something like that.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Really impressive. Glove box contours look amazing. 👍
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

I am looking to do the same. How much did you need to purchase? Looks like it comes in four foot widths and a choice of lengths. Is the four feet long enough or did you have to splice a couple pieces together.

I should know the answer to this question but I don't have the car nearby to go look at...

Thanks,
Matt
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Hi Matt, the 4 foot wide is as wide as it gets, even with heating and stretching you may be able to hit the ends, I was trying to do by myself and it was hard to control the heat gun, hold the vinyl, and try to stretch at the same time, so I am splicing in the ends that wrap the corners and go along the door pillar. With an extra set of hands you may be able to stretch it. I think I bought a 2 ft x 4 ft piece, but only used about 9 inches top to bottom. I plan to use more on other areas.

The thing to be careful of is when you decide which pattern you want to buy check the grain direction. If it's long horizontal grain, that goes end to end on the 4 ft roll you are good, if it runs downward, you will have A LOT of extra. Check the pic and call and ask before you purchase. Since I used the birds eye maple it wasn't an issue, just a heads up.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Hoping for a pic when everything is reinstalled. Looks great so far.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,
Good call on the orientation of the grain. The one I am looking at runs the long way which means buying a lot more than I need.
I may reconsider...
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Just bought a black plastic dash face for our 1974 KG Coupe. My plan is to cover it with the 3M vinyl. I was surprised how flimsy the dash face is. Probably a dumb question but do I need to install the face and then cover it with the vinyl? I have to travel a couple hours to work on the car so I try to do as much work as I can away from the car.

And any interference with the order of installation of other things like the headliner? Should I do one before the other? I have the new headliner purchased but donít remember how low it comes on the A pillar.

Thanks.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
Just my recommendation, but I think it would be best to wrap the dash cover first before mounting it, that way you can roll the vinyl wrap over any edges to give it a smoother look. Others may have a different thought.

Glad to know I could help and you didn't buy anything with the grain running the wrong direction.
Best, Jeff

Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Jeff,

Good to hear. I would definitely prefer to do it off the car so I'll give it a try. I will enlist the help of my wife. She seems to think this is her car anyway.

I havenít bought the vinyl yet but plan to soon and will keep the grain direction mind. Iím also thinking what else I can use this for, even off the car. It helps to have many projects ongoing at all times.

BTW, somewhat related, does the headliner come all the way down the A pillar? Am I right you have done this recently? Wondering about the transition from dash to headliner or any interference if at all. And if I should do one before the other.

Thanks,
Matt
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Yeah my wife is the same way since she has "let me" spend as much on the car as I have!

As for the headliner, can't help you there, I have a convertible, but before I tore her down, there was a piece of material that ran down the arm. I would do some gallery searches and see if you can find any headliner pics for a sedan, that may give you a better idea.

Jeff

narco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Awesome, I was just thinking about this myself Smile

How are you planning on finishing where it stops on the bottom of the dash? The originals have a black part similar to what's on top of the dash..
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Having not yet done this (important caveat) and if I understood your question, I think you wrap it under and around the dash face and that lower edge is covered by the lower dash / knee pad. Which is that black part I think you are referring to - so yes you still use it.

Open to corrections.
narco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer.

I didn't realise until now that non wood grain dashes can have knee pads too. Mine doesn't, so I need to figure out how to end the wood grain, as I have nothing to hide it under.

Now that I think about it, mine might have been removed because its a LHD converted to RHD by a previous owner. Perhaps replacement ones don't fit...
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain look vinyl dash RHD Reply with quote

Installed the 3M vinyl wood grain cover.
Before

After

Its got some flaws you can probably see but those wrinkles are along the bottom hopefully not so visible. And had to patch the ends because of the length of the roll, but ... I've seen worse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: