Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

Just purchased an interesting Westfalia brochure for SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile that shows some cool/unique details:

SO42/SO44 with early tents/tent mounts
Poptop canvas is entirely different style not used in production vehicles
Odd/dark color upholstery in SO44
Early curtains shown in all buses

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The brochure is in German and is not dated.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

That brochure has to be from 1965 due to the models and colors. 1965 was a crazy year for Westfalias, everything was available, 7 kits, 4 roofs, 3 tents:
SO-22 mosaic
SO-33
SO-34 flipseat
SO-35 flipseat
SO-42 bench seat
SO-42 walkthrough
SO-44
Hardtop
Hatchtop
Poptop
Dormobile Top
small tent
large tent
bigtop tent
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

Definitely seems to be from 1965 (Whale pump). Also seems to be for Europe delivery with no overrider bumpers and popout windows instead of jalousie's.

I also noticed there is no long 1.5" strip of wood above the driver side windows.

This brochure:

1965 SO42 Westfalia Brochure from archives:

Appears to be the same photo shoot/models but some details are different.

Last edited by srfndoc on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

Neat brochure. What does the front cover look like?

I didn't know so-44's had a table on each cargo door, or is that another prototype thing?

Interesting brown/white striped cab privacy curtain on the so-44.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

I used to have a copy of this brochure. Kinda surprised, with all the literature freaks here, that there isn't a scanned copy in the archives.
The front cover is the white bus with the grey tent (if I remember correctly). I don't think there is any text. And I think back when I had my copy, 1965 was the speculated date based on what others have said as well as vehicular details in the pictures.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

I didn't know so-44's had a table on each cargo door, or is that another prototype thing?

That's how all SO-44 are. No spice rack like the SO42 had.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
1965 was the speculated date based on what others have said as well as vehicular details in the pictures.

Definitely 1965 for the SO-44. That was the only year for the water tank inlet in the side of the kitchen cabinet. 1966 uses a pair of water jugs stored in the center cabinet. They were only made for two years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

Cover is the first photo I posted. The privacy cab curtain is just the normal 'early westfalia' curtains, just looks like brown/white stripe in that photo.

What I thought was odd was the color of the seat material in the SO44. Appears to be a dark shade of blue or green (hard to tell).
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
oakman wrote:

Cover is the first photo I posted. The privacy cab curtain is just the normal 'early westfalia' curtains, just looks like brown/white stripe in that photo.

What I thought was odd was the color of the seat material in the SO44. Appears to be a dark shade of blue or green (hard to tell).

I see the pattern on the cab curtain after looking again. That's such a cool pattern imo.

nlorntson wrote:
oakman wrote:

That's how all SO-44 are. No spice rack like the SO42 had.

Very cool, thanks for the info!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
I used to have a copy of this brochure. Kinda surprised, with all the literature freaks here, that there isn't a scanned copy in the archives.
The front cover is the white bus with the grey tent (if I remember correctly). I don't think there is any text. And I think back when I had my copy, 1965 was the speculated date based on what others have said as well as vehicular details in the pictures.

I sent Everett a scanned copy of the entire brochure and he's posted it in the archives:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1965_westy_so42_44.php
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

Woo-hoo, thanks for sending it!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

I loved find8ng stuff like this. Black mates in 3

Aren’t they guilty of false ads for not showing owners covered in oil and grease?

Laughing
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

This looks way cramped.
srfndoc wrote:

Do people really remove all their cabinets while camping without setting up the tent? That doesn't seem normal.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I loved find8ng stuff like this. Black mates in 3

I was trying to look at the boards too Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Early Westfalia SO42/SO44/Mosaic/Dormobile Brochure Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
This looks way cramped.
srfndoc wrote:

Do people really remove all their cabinets while camping without setting up the tent? That doesn't seem normal.

There's a whole lot of weirdness going on in this pic. Two sets of interiors and a tent with no tent mounts on the bus. Maybe the bus of the family pictured is off to the side. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: