Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

I drove the beetle woody when i first bought it a few a years ago from Calgary Alberta to banff Alberta then back. Highway speeds were no problem. I changed the basic fluids. Didnt do anything else. Seemed to run better than my first beetle in highschool.

After that drive and some city driving, i prepared with bringing oil as usual.... i am pretty sure the only leak is from far back towards transmission mount area.

Luckily being a woody wagon beetle, i have really easy access to my top engine mount bolts. The rear decklid and some of the beetle body around engine is removed.

Simple procedure? Do i need special tools or will princess auto have seal pullers? I assume the generic all 1200-1600cc rear main seals fit 1500cc engines like the website says...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

Lets some pics of this wood beetle
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

You describe a front seal leak. Front is front.

So if you can R&R the engine, replacement is straightforward if you can get the 36mm gland nut off. These are like 250 ft lbs, you might need a flywheel holder, long breaker bar. Better would be to buy a Torque Tool, and you may want to invest in a front seal installer tool too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

Ya that torque tool works great along with the flywheel holder.
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

I will look into getting a seal puller tool.

This is the rear main seal i ordered.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

Polish the flywheel surface where the seal rides with 400-1000 grit paper.

Lube the seal lip and FW surface with oil before you put the FW back on.

I drill an extra drain hole in the case as FWs these days are usually not perfect and this helps the oil drain better, and does not let 1oz sit against the seal when parked like the Germans designed. If everything is not perfect this 1oz ends up on your driveway. The OEG drain hole is at 8 o'clock and I drill one at the bottom, this can be done with the engine assembled or disassembled.

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

Polish the area were the seal sits, as mentioned lube the seal or it can burn up on your first start up.

ALSO--- ONLY PUSH the seal in til it is flush with the case, No more.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

As stated, that's a "front" seal at the flywheel end.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

It is a rear main seal and it is installed below the case surface....there is a o-ring in there too. People are getting confused on which end the engine is mounted. lol.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

How are you allowing air into the engine compartment?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
It is a rear main seal and it is installed below the case surface....there is a o-ring in there too. People are getting confused on which end the engine is mounted. lol.

Sorry, in a VW that is not a rear seal, it's a front seal. All front-back references are in relation to the car's front and back.

There is no rear seal in a ACVW engine unless an accessory sand seal has been installed on the pulley end of the case.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

Look it up on a microfiche...

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

I prefer to look at an actual car.

Grabbing the first parts list on the Samba here shows VW called it "Oil Seal - Crankshaft" with no reference to front or rear. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/VW_Sp...y_1960.pdf
Page 19 of 344 in the PDF linked above.

However, their manuals typically stated that all directions are from the driver's perspective, meaning front means front of the car. For example, on page 3 of the document above, VW states:
Quote:
"Designations such as front - rear - left - right are determined from the driving seat facing forward."

From another thread, this seems to make the most sense to me:

Quote:
Ahh the age old discussion of what to call that seal!

On OUR Volkswagens, they're on the front. So front main seal sounds right. But on MOST other cars, it's in the rear, so rear main seal is an "industry standard" term. On a T1 like ours, it's the only seal. So "main seal" is appropriate to avoid internet fights.

I also like calling it the "flywheel seal" to really avoid confusion, because T4 engines have another seal around the other rear end of the crank we can call the "fan seal." Now what happens when someone who calls the flywheel seal the rear main seal needs a fan seal for their T4? The "other" rear main seal?
Mikhail_lewis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967/68 vw beetle 1500cc rear main seal leak Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:

Steve Arndt wrote:

The woody rear panel has some vents on verical wood engine bay door. Picture a bus almost...

The side plywood panels have some panelling inserts that i have approximately 1cm vent slits. I will eventually had some mini hood scoop sorta things on the plywood side panels so itll scoop the air in, and then out the rear engine bay door.

I was thinking of of some rad fans from junkyard for forced air circulation, but these upgrades will come along in due time...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: