Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mobile-Friendly
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see a mobile-friendly interface for TheSamba?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Don't Care
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 13

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

I access This site frequently when travelling and thought a mobile-friendly interface would be helpful.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

The forum software has bee extensively modified so any mobile version would have to be written from scratch.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703972

Rolling Eyes

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

If it could done for free? Sure.
Since it can't? Nope.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

I access TS exclusively on mobile, it works just fine
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

Making it mobile friendly doesn't mean that it has to be completely redesigned, nor does it require a new interface.

Here's what it looks like on most phones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

noexit wrote:
Making it mobile friendly doesn't mean that it has to be completely redesigned, nor does it require a new interface.

Like most phones, my phone does not show nearly that much information. Maybe you have an iPad?

So if it's so easy, are you volunteering to do the programming for us?
Wink
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

I have a android phone , and that screenshot is exactly what I see . I only access this site on mobile and it's perfect. I was a member of the site vwvortex.com since 2001 and when they switched there interface up a few years back I stopped going on the site . it's horrible now .
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

I have an apple so that screenshot is kind of what I see. My phone actually brings in the sides of the site so that the posts look longer but I don't have to scroll sideways. It's perfect and definitely doesn't need to change, it would be confusing to a lot of people if it does change.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

I would love The Samba to use a 'responsive' front end design. I am often in my bus working away when I need to search for the forum for reference. Zooming and pinching the screen is a real pain on my mobile phone.

I can help with the implementation of this if required as I am a software developer in my 9-5 although I am sure the site admins already have this covered! Cool
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Mark me down as definitely wanting a mobile friendly site! It's actually very hard to believe that a site this big doesn't have that ability already. There are far far smaller sites that have long been mobile friendly. I feel bad for people trying to use it mobile and have less than average eyesight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
It's actually very hard to believe that a site this big doesn't have that ability already. There are far far smaller sites that have long been mobile friendly.

Most of the new site builders and forums have mobile mode built in now, I setup a new Wordpress install for a local club last year and it's fairly slick.
The smaller sites also tend to have less to modify to make mobile work well.
TheSamba, as mentioned, has been around for a while and has a number of custom modules.

Here's a screenshot of theSamba side-by-side with Reddit in mobile-mode (sorry, couldn't resist a shitpost) on my iPhone SE (4" (diagonal) screen, tiny by current standards).

imo theSamba is very usable as-is on mobile
If anything, a simple-ish css switch that would bump up the default post text font size on small screens would be welcome, esp if you could put an option for it in settings.

Everett, do you mind sharing the current percent of desktop vs mobile users? I see the google-analytics call :)
For my two tiny sites I'm seeing:
56.4% desktop, 33.8% mobile, 9.8% tablet for 429 users in 2019 (has a mobile-mode)
84.7% desktop, 14.9% mobile, 0.5% tablet for 233 users in 2019 (no mobile-mode)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

For March, 2019 (rounded):
57.5% desktop, 34% mobile, 8.5% tablet for 640K users
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sheridap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

+1 for making it mobile friendly.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

noexit wrote:

Your screenshot is missing the 'quote' and 'report' buttons, so it's either zoomed in, or cropped off the right side.

-1 for mobile "upgrade".....

I interface the Samba on my phone maybe 60% of the time, and have no problems with the current format. However, I am unlike most mobile users: I don't surf in portrait orientation, nor type with one hand...I rotate my phone into landscape mode so that I get the full width in a size that can still be read without a microscope (yeah, my eyes are going bad), and I type with both thumbs (I'm a Gen X'er Very Happy ).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

+1 for charging mobile users $100 a year for a mobile friendly subscription.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

+1 for a mobile interface
+1 for an updated desktop interface
+1 for an updated file upload experience

How many developers do we have on thesamba?

It's what I do for a living. 1 person doing it would take a while. A group effort would be nice. For the past few nights I've started experimenting with a React/Next JS/Tailwind CSS approach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread to say I also desperately want a new mobile interface. And I’m here to volunteer. I’ve been a professional web developer for +12 years, Director of Technology at Make Magazine, Head of Brand Engineering at Patreon… I can write the css to make it mobile friendly in a few days. We could also add a setting to the users profile to allow them to opt out of the new mobile css if adoption attrition is a valid concern.

Everett, if you’re interested in my help, let me know. I think this site gives so much for free that I would not even entertain charging for this work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

I don't know what it means.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile-Friendly Reply with quote

@Rich Latsch You don't know what a mobile-friendly interface is? It's restyling or remaking the pages so that they're not scaled down to fit the smaller screen of a smartphone and removing the need to pinch-and-zoom, to read, or navigate, or log in etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: