Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

Clutch disc isn’t on backwards but it’s a worthwhile thought.

Halfway done detaching the transmission while I wait for a new master cylinder in the mail.

Hoping I find something useful in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

I’ll add (to why I doubt it’s the slave or master cylinder) that I don’t see any apparent change in the range of motion on the arm that controls the throwout bearing, the feeling of the pedal itself, or any leaks whatsoever. That said, I hope it’s something that simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

jeremypbeasley wrote:
I’ll add (to why I doubt it’s the slave or master cylinder) that I don’t see any apparent change in the range of motion on the arm that controls the throwout bearing, the feeling of the pedal itself, or any leaks whatsoever. That said, I hope it’s something that simple.

Is this the same flywheel from your previous issue?

J
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

So this is a replacement engine with a slightly used clutch? If so, where did the flywheel come from? The old engine? Did the flywheel have the 3 locator pins?

I know The clutch disc should only fit one way, but in my years I have seen some pretty forced stuff.
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
jeremypbeasley wrote:

J

New flywheel that came with the engine. Looked to be recently resurfaced and end play was on spec so I used it.
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

Pulled the gearbox off and sure enough, the clutch disc wasn’t budging. Wouldn’t move by attempting by hand (kind of how a DJ runs a turntable) or using the plastic input shaft alignment tool the new Sachs kit came with. Even after loosening all the pressure plate bolts to a hand turn release, it still wouldn’t move.

Then I took the pressure plate off and the disc fell free.

No apparent damage to the plate, disc, or flywheel.

Obviously the disc doesn’t have enough clearance to spin and thus the clutch was permanently engaged. The question is why???

The flywheel surface is mirror-like and raised just like other flywheels I’ve seen. No rust on the inside of the flywheel and only minor surface rust on the outside of the flywheel.

I also checked to make sure I didn’t over torque the pressure plate bolts.

Going to install the disc and plate again to see if the same happens. Otherwise I’m stumped.
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

jeremypbeasley wrote:
jberger wrote:
jeremypbeasley wrote:

J

New flywheel that came with the engine. Looked to be recently resurfaced and end play was on spec so I used it.

So the flywheel is “new” to the engine, assuming on then engines PO word? If so, it is entirely possible this is your issue when it comes to clearances because it just might not be the right one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

When you surface a flywheel on a vanagon you must surface the mounting face. I’d call Weddle in the am and ask what the measurement is. Or if you have the flywheel that was working compare the step measurement.
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

Makes sense. I’ll give them a call in the morning. In the meantime, I’ve used my digital caliper to measure the step different in mm on both flywheels.

The difference of the averages of both flywheels is 0.047mm which seems insignificant. Am I wrong?

For what it’s worth, the PO has assured me ( and the shop that pulled the engine) that this flywheel on the engine now is the one they were using.

Previous flywheel:

1.18, 1.44, 1.19, 1.47, 1.53, 1.62, 1.46, 1.42, 1.09, 1.01, 1.47

Mean: 1.353mm

Existing flywheel (on engine):

1.64, 1.72, 1.08, 1.18, 1.06, 1.56, 1.58, 1.76, 1.02

Mean: 1.4mm
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

So, a resurfaced flywheel in my garage measures .976” from pp mounting surface to friction surface.

J
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

Thanks! So I just measured PP mounting surface to friction surface on both flywheels.

Difference: .23mm / 0.0091 in

Previous flywheel

24.16, 24.81, 24.05, 24.26, 24.11, 24.13, 24.69

Mean: 24.32mm / .96 in

Existing flywheel

24.75, 24.81, 24.33, 24.61, 24.05, 24.98, 24.99, 24.79, 24.81

Mean: 24.68mm / .97 in
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

Since these numbers seem insignificant and the lack of motion for this disc is the same on three different flywheels, I’m going to install the Sachs disc and pressure plate that was in the engine when I bought the engine and see if it’ll shift gears. I might be working harder than smarter but damnit, I want this thing running.
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

I have just gone through something very similar with my personal Westy. Mine is a Subaru 2.2 using the early style Smallcar flywheel, which takes the same clutch as a waterboxer. So, I had replaced the clutch last year with a Luk clutch kit and have only put a few thousand kms on it. Recently it got more and more difficult to shift and then to the point it wouldn’t go into gear at all. Since the clutch was new I suspected a hydraulic issue. The slave is only a year old so I replaced the 10 year old master cylinder. Which resulted in no change. So out came the transaxle to inspect the clutch. I was surprised to find that the area around the springs on the disc were hitting on the flywheel surface. I ordered a new Sachs kit which is what I normally sell and install and compared the two discs. The Sachs disc has all of the springs well below the height of the friction lining. On the Luk the springs are above the level of the friction lining.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This pic shows the Luk on the left and a used Sachs on the right.

Above is the Luk, and below is the Sachs.

Check your clutch disc and see if that is your problem as well. If you look closely at the pics you can see the raised part around the springs on the Luk disc is shiny where it’s been contacting the flywheel.
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Grinding transmission after engine swap 😫 Reply with quote

Kah-Ching.

Just drove the van around the block with the old Sachs clutch that the engine came with. It’s a bit worn and dirty but it works!

The issue had to be my install and something odd that I did. That or clutch disc and plate were shot from my flywheel troubles on the last engine.

Thank you all a ton for your help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: