Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 fuel injection question on ECU
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 fuel injection question on ECU Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I received title when I bought our 1978 bus and paid all fees. Straight to Non-Op though. It is missing its CAT and has an awful intake valve condition. Non runner in my book! No valid registration issued until I pass smog and get insurance. Title arrived in two weeks; that was a couple of years ago. Now that the ‘81 is out of my way, the ‘78 is getting ready for engine pull for refresh; no smog done yet.

Same thing with our 1981 Westy that I just got back on the road. That was a Lien Sale and through two parties before me. Kinda messy! I paid the fees and received title just like the 1978 bus, but again no tags given until I passed smog.

I received title within a couple of weeks too. I did need to SMOG before I got full registration but had a month or so of grace for this. Very odd you had that experience Steve..
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 fuel injection question on ECU Reply with quote

Update - got it transferred into our name - non op, only. title is on it's way.

I'm going to source an ECU in the classifieds and start on her after Memorial Day.
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 fuel injection question on ECU Reply with quote

Hi all,

It's been a while on this so wanted to ask for a bit more assistance. So in my search for ECUs to try and fire this donor bus, I've been doing a lot of research here and think that because I have a '78 CA model, I'm limited to 77-78 ECUs due to the 7 pin AFM, which means a temp sensor is in the airflow somewhere, right? I saw the late, great, Karls past post where he tried all year combos of ECUs on his bus and they all worked but wanted to see what I could use to get it fired. I do have a 7 pin AFM for sure so can anyone tell me if I'm limited to the '77 & '78 ECUs or can I bolt one in from a 75 Federal (or any other hear, for that matter) and it should work?

Thanks, the ECU matching due to whatever variables is still a bit fuzzy.

Thanks,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 fuel injection question on ECU Reply with quote

I believe all the AFMs had intake air temp sensors in them regardless of pin count. You can see the sensor in the AFM, it's a little bump that sticks down into the airflow from the top of the AFM.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 fuel injection question on ECU Reply with quote

Thanks.. I'm mainly looking for which ECU will work just to get this thing running. Mine is a '78 CA model and from what I have researched, I think i can use ANY ECU except 79 because 79 has an 02 sensor. I think.

I'm basing this off of Karl's past statement saying that he had a box of ECUs and tried them all on his 77 and every one worked.

???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: