Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

Ran into a small issue and looking for options. While attempting to remove the starter bushing using a thread tap, only a portion of it came out. Now, with what's left the tap cannot bite into the old bushing. Any suggestions on getting the rest out?

I don't have a larger thread tap, but that is what I was thinking my next steps were

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You might check with your FLAPS to see if they have an internal puller for rent or loan. Aside from that try grinding the end of the tap shorter so most of the tapered part is gone.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
What does the back side of the flywheel look like? (case side).

Quite oily. That’ll be the culprit. Thanks bus daddy, and everyone else on this forum that takes the time to spread your knowledge. This place is really a treasure. Was able to check the endplay. Comes in at 0.004” real nice. Also got a chance to build a homemade flywheel lock rather than waiting for one to be shipped across the country.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They call my home the land of snow.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello,
It may be a good time to clean up that flywheel surface a bit.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Any leads for the ice box/fridge door seal for a 72 ice box?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Any leads for the ice box/fridge door seal for a 72 ice box?

Some good info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6951331#6951331
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

chift wrote:
Hey Folks,

Ran into a small issue and looking for options. While attempting to remove the starter bushing using a thread tap, only a portion of it came out. Now, with what's left the tap cannot bite into the old bushing. Any suggestions on getting the rest out?

I don't have a larger thread tap, but that is what I was thinking my next steps were

Thanks

It sounds to me like you need to pull the motor. Then you can press the new bushing in and it will push out what's left of the old bushing.

My 1968 Campmobile
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: ambulance fans Reply with quote

I picked some ambulance fans up for a song. My question is, when installed, where do they blow out? the adjustable vents on the dash? the tree down behind the e-brake?
will their operation be hindered/changed because I have the armrest vents on my doors that shoot air to the back?
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ambulance fans Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
I picked some ambulance fans up for a song. My question is, when installed, where do they blow out? the adjustable vents on the dash? the tree down behind the e-brake?
will their operation be hindered/changed because I have the armrest vents on my doors that shoot air to the back?

The air will come out the same as your fresh air vents. The two round holes on each side and the two dash slots that are far right and left.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ambulance fans Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
alman72 wrote:

The air will come out the same as your fresh air vents. The two round holes on each side and the two dash slots that are far right and left.

And the vents in the bulkhead for the enjoyment of your passengers in the back, same effect as pulling the blue levers down while under way except they'll blow when stopped too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

When I activate my turn signals, the battery light alternates with the turn signal (i.e., turn signal light on = battery light off, turn signal light off = battery light on). The battery light does not come on otherwise (except normally). I'm assuming this is a bad ground - where should I start looking?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay, I've read on The Samba about a screen (or sock?) in the fuel tank that needs to be replaced occasionally.
Where is this located, how is it replaced, and where do you buy new ones? Think

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Okay, I've read on The Samba about a screen (or sock?) in the fuel tank that needs to be replaced occasionally.

From a split window - but the same install.

http://oacdp.org//5867part/189.png

The part.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209147A

It's your first line of defense against particulate in the gas/gas tank. How often do you check its condition? Depends on how crappy the inside of your tank may be. The older tanks that have sat with moisture in them scale more and release more particles into the gas. A new repop or conditioned tank - none. If you notice a lot of crap on your secondary filter then your sock may be shot or non-existent.

When you need a fill up is the best time to check. Less gas to dump from the tank before you unscrew the tit from the bottom of the tank.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
KentPS wrote:

From a split window - but the same install.

http://oacdp.org//5867part/189.png

The part.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209147A

It's your first line of defense against particulate in the gas/gas tank. How often do you check its condition? Depends on how crappy the inside of your tank may be. The older tanks that have sat with moisture in them scale more and release more particles into the gas. A new repop or conditioned tank - none. If you notice a lot of crap on your secondary filter then your sock may be shot or non-existent.

When you need a fill up is the best time to check. Less gas to dump from the tank before you unscrew the tit from the bottom of the tank.

No sock on a 76, 74 was the last year with the outlet strainer, 75+ has a non removable outlet.

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Fuel injected buses don’t have one Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Notchboy, BD and Robbie. That's all good info.
And now I know not to look for one when the engine gets replaced next week.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Thanks Notchboy, BD and Robbie. That's all good info.

Laughing Applause

Oh yeah, FI. d'oh!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

lol Kent! Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
KentPS wrote:

lol Kent! Laughing

Wow! Where did you find my senior portrait from high school?!? Laughing

---WildIdea

Sven F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have a trick for rotating the front brake caliper pistons to the correct position to fit the anti-squeal shims?
I don't feel like taking the pistons out and re-bleeding if I don't have to. I don't have the fancy tool obviously.

Also looking for someone to remove my remaining 5% doubt that this is the correct way to position the shims. Thanks!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 413 of 515

Jump to: