Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this cabinet from a Eurovan?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunkbed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Found on my local FB Marketplace, seller does not know the origin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

I think the top of the headbanger in the Eurovan CV is flat to rest under the poptop bed board but this is curved.

It is definitely a Westfalia cabinet, maybe something built to fit in a weekender hardtop?

Very cool congrats!
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

here is a photo of the Eurovan CV headbanger. Totally different
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

here is a photo of the Eurovan CV headbanger. Totally different

I wouldn't say totally different Chris. The outside pebbled colouring and the inside purple-ish colour is identical. The top profile seems like it would be suited to a headliner than an upper bunk. I'd certainly say Westfalia in origin but the make/model it was installed in...?
bunkbed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight guys. I kind of want to mock it up in my pop-top, but I am also scared that I will hurt the fragile upper trim that is already falling apart by itself.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Hello Rob,
Agreed that it has the same pattern as the Eurovan CV and definitely looks to be made by Westfalia. The hatch has the earlier rubber trim around the door not found on the CV...

I'll see if I can find a reference for that cabinet online
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Please do post if you figure it out. I spent a somewhat-absurd amount of time trying to figure out the exact cabinet when this was first posted. It definitely looked like Westfalia, probably mid-/late-90s I was thinking, but I never did find an image of an interior cabinet that fit this shape. You've really got my curiosity going on it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

bunkbed wrote:
Thanks for the insight guys. I kind of want to mock it up in my pop-top, but I am also scared that I will hurt the fragile upper trim that is already falling apart by itself.

Hello bunkbed,
Could you give a measurement of the total width and length of the headbanger?

I can check the width with my GL and GLS
bunkbed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

apologies for freedom units

CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

It most certainly is Westfalia. Something from the T4 era for sure but not necessarily from a T4. That top radius sure gives me the impression that contour followed a headliner.
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

That looks Vanagon spec to me. My guess is that it's from a high top vanagon westfalia. Westfalia did do high tops which were well done, but rare in the states. That looks like like cabinetry i've seen in pics of them. Color and design is right for that era too.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town camping in the Eurovan Weekender to Kemptville and Gananoque ON. I can't take measurements in that van because it has the flat roof with the poptop.

I'll measure the GL (1992) and the GLS (2001) tomorrow and post back!

Cheers
Gruppe B
vwolder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Could it be this?

https://www.zillka-mobile.de/online-shop/ausbauteile/multivan-möbel-ergänzungsmodule/vw-t4-3/dachstaukasten-vw-t4-multivan-1-detail.html

Sorry for the link. I can’t get it to work. Please copy/paste and it will take you to the correct page Embarassed
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

bunkbed wrote:
apologies for freedom units

Looks to be for an early Eurovan GL!

I measured the width of the back interior roof and the width from the roof hook to roof hook is 50 - 1/2"!

The photos you posted also show a cut out at the rear that matches a Eurovan GL. My bets are that this is a Westfalia Mosaik kit for the Eurovan T4. Mosaik kits were sold in the aftermarket to people who wanted to convert their own vans

The height of that cabinet however really tall. If mounted in a GL this cabinet would hang almost 1/3 the way down the rear side window. For comparison a VW T3 headbanger cabinet is only 8" at the front.

My 2001 GL would not fit this cabinet directly as it has the rear air conditioner on the passenger side that would get in the way
bunkbed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this cabinet from a Eurovan? Reply with quote

Very cool! Almost makes me want to buy a tintop...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: