Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't raise front end with adjustable beam
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

I have been trying to raise my front end with an adjusable beam I installed 10 years ago when I had the body off. All new bushings, tie rod ends steering damper, sway bar etc. I wasn't happy with how it steered so I am trying to raise the front end hopefully closer to standard. The attached picture shows the current setting for the adjuster grub screws. The lock plate is only there for demonstration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the wheels hanging and the shocks released. I have bounced the tires. I have read that the wheels should drop and the car will sit at it's highest profile.
Nothing has changed. Any help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

try undoing your shocks, it may be that the shocks are maxxed out in their travel. JM2cW
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

It’s actually a little more difficult as the upper and lower arms pre load on one another. Nothing will “fall”. It will need some coercion. Keep in mind that most all adjustable beams start a little lower than stock in their highest position.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

With the shocks off, front of vehicle off the ground, remove both upper & lower clamps & push down on the wheels. You can also slip a 11-12mm deep socket over the clamping stud, insert an extension into the socket & try pushing up on the extension.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

The sway bar might be holding things up
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You can also slip a 11-12mm deep socket over the clamping stud, insert an extension into the socket & try pushing up on the extension.

You can also insert a proper-size long hex wrench into the grub screws to use as leverage when trying to move the grub screws up or down.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
You can also slip a 11-12mm deep socket over the clamping stud, insert an extension into the socket & try pushing up on the extension.

You can also insert a proper-size long hex wrench into the grub screws to use as leverage when trying to move the grub screws up or down.

The crappy Chinese studs tend to be a bit soft and since the engagement area is maybe 1/4", they tend to "cam out" & will wallow the opening & distort the threaded area where you would start the nut. I REALLY advise against this method.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I REALLY advise against this method.

I've done this several times to make changes to an adjustable beam with no harm to the grub screws. My beams weren't frozen up like the OP's seem to be though. I wouldn't put excessive force on the grub screws anyway...if they don't move fairly easily, best to just explore some other way to get this done.

Could also remove the grub screw & adjuster plate, squirt in some PB Blaster or equiv, then for leverage, screw a long bolt into the puck and see if you can get it to move.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

Ok, I have tried everything mentioned here. I had already removed the shocks, I removed the sway bar, I pried down on the tires while in the air with a 2x4, I lowered the car onto the ground and bounced on it, I put a nut on the grub screw and pried on it with a socket. No movement at all. I know I lubed the beam many years ago but maybe not enough. Would it be too late to add more lube? The car only has about 4 miles on it since the restoration.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

Can you adjust "up"? is it already at its lowest? Happens.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

I looks like there is a small amount of 'down' available, maybe one notch. But when I put the car on the ground and bounced it, no change.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

uffdakev wrote:
I looks like there is a small amount of 'down' available, maybe one notch. But when I put the car on the ground and bounced it, no change.

Sounds like it's time to pull the beam apart.

Curious, you mentioned not liking how the car steered.
Explain - was it hard to center when driving straight ahead, or was it wandering at higher speeds?

Anything?

Bryan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

Does this beam use original style torsion arm bearings or does it have the crappy urethane bushings?

uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

The car wandered when I drove it. I had aligned it myself, but it had 3" + play in the steering wheel so I rebuilt the steering box per the instructions here on the Samba. After that it drove worse. Admittedly I hadn't realigned it yet, but I thought that it having an adjustable beam I might raise it up to a normal height. This being the most easy fix attempt. (ha ha).

It does not have the urethane bushings on the front.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

Sounds like Caster may be out as well.

Bryan
ghiacrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, shouldn't those grub screws be pointing up toward the gas tank to raise the front end?
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

Yes, I am trying to get the grub screws to move up.
jbillow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

specially designed ball joints should be used with adjustable beams. They allow for sharper angles and extension. Yours could be binding. take your wheels off for a better look. you can also pop your ball joints out of the spindles (both sides) and see if the beam moves, as I suspect your issue is more in your spindle/ball joint as opposed to the beam itself.
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

I am redoing the steering box that I did incorrectly and then I am going to align the front end including caster.

Here are two pictures to show my front left ball joints (from front and rear).

This is with the car on jack stands and wheels off.
Do these look like the ball joint is binding?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't raise front end with adjustable beam Reply with quote

Remove the center clamping studs on both upper & lower center adjusters, this will allow you to cycle the suspension to both extremes to see where the balljoints reach their limits.

Your balljoints are either clocked incorrectly or you're using modern balljoints that don't have the notches. If clocked incorrectly, you'll reach the max angle really quickly, if using modern balljoints, you may not have the original full range of motion.

I will say that your suspension travel has a much greater range of motion than your shocks appear to have.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: