Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

Applause

Nice! We are in the middle of our summer trip holed up in an AirBnB in Vancouver BC for a few days. Headed north soon and will have a trip report in a few weeks. Hope more people post reports!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

Great report - thanks so much for posting! Cool

Important reminder:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
... I was surprised to see this behemoth in the parking lot.

That would be the ultimate behemoth Very Happy

Link

BTW, how would you compare your van with the hightop vs the westy top? Did you see any difference on handling or a mpg change? How was the interior experience?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

BTW, how would you compare your van with the hightop vs the westy top? Did you see any difference on handling or a mpg change? How was the interior experience?

It's a different feel. The hightop is kind of like having a big dorsal fin; you tend to flow and drift with the wind as opposed to the more abrupt jerking from sudden wind gusts that I found with the Westy, but correcting is probably quicker with a Westy. Overall I'd call it even.

The front end on the Westy was rebuilt a couple of years ago and the Syncro has all new (year-old) Powerflex bushings. The Westy did have the T3 oversized sway bar; I'm going to install one on the Syncro and I think that it's the final piece to making it rock solid on the road.

I can't really comment on MPG. I don't watch it closely enough to make a determination. (Plus in Canada I have no idea how much gas I'm buying or using per liter/kilometer.) I haven't noticed a big change, though. 18-20 MPG generally.

The high top is much quieter than the Westy was and doesn't rattle or squeak. I had new poptop seals on my Westy and the hinges, lock, and skylight were in excellent condition; still, a heavy gust would sometimes want to lift the top and cause a rattle.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

Nice trip report. Welcome to the neighborhood!
Yep, Cranbrook BC is kinda one of those armpit cities, not very nice looking from the road but smack in the middle of a wonderful valley and offering all those amenities needed like shopping, hospitals, government, etc.
After leaving Cranbrook did you go through Kimberley or just head north on 93?

(shameless plug for local tourism) Wink
Just FYI for others heading this way, make time to stop at Fort Steele, a fantastic original frontier town still in working order.
http://fortsteele.ca/our-story/

The place is huge. 98 buildings, working forges, leather crafts, gardens, horse wagon rides, theater, gold panning, shops, etc.
Costs money to get in but very worth it for the whole family. There's a working steam train to take a ride on (about half hour ride).
However, if you wait until 4:00 you can get in for free/donation but you only get about an hour to explore as they close down at 4pm and all the shops/activities start closing.
Plan to really spend about three-five hours at least to see everything. Also you can just pull into the parking lot and enjoy the grounds outside the gates.

Then take the spur 95A up through Kimberley for a great side trip and great views. If needed there is a really nice community/non-profit campground right by the St.Mary river.
https://www.kimberleycampground.com/index.html
I'm not usually big on these commercial campgrounds but we stayed at this one a couple times while looking at real-estate in the region. It's owned by the city and is well run and nice.
Also makes a great base camp for local activities.
Like a time out for a fantastic meal at the Old Bauernhaus, a German barn transported to the Kootenays and converted into a restaurant.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g1821...umbia.html
Or for more casual food:
Stonefire Pizza
or Pedal & Tap (featured on "You gotta eat here" TV show)
Both in the Platzl in downtown Kimberley.
There are also many small campgrounds dotted around the valley near lakes, but these fill fast during good weather.
The Kimberley area has great Mt Bike trails, world class fly fishing, golf (oddly enough there are several very good golf courses around here if you're into that sort of thing), and lots of small lakes for canoes etc.

This shot is near HaHa lake just north of Kimberley.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Nice trip report. Welcome to the neighborhood!
Yep, Cranbrook BC is kinda one of those armpit cities, not very nice looking from the road but smack in the middle of a wonderful valley and offering all those amenities needed like shopping, hospitals, government, etc.
After leaving Cranbrook did you go through Kimberley or just head north on 93?

(shameless plug for local tourism) Wink
Just FYI for others heading this way, make time to stop at Fort Steele, a fantastic original frontier town still in working order.
http://fortsteele.ca/our-story/

The place is huge. 98 buildings, working forges, leather crafts, gardens, horse wagon rides, theater, gold panning, shops, etc.
Costs money to get in but very worth it for the whole family. There's a working steam train to take a ride on (about half hour ride).
However, if you wait until 4:00 you can get in for free/donation but you only get about an hour to explore as they close down at 4pm and all the shops/activities start closing.
Plan to really spend about three-five hours at least to see everything. Also you can just pull into the parking lot and enjoy the grounds outside the gates.

Then take the spur 95A up through Kimberley for a great side trip and great views. If needed there is a really nice community/non-profit campground right by the St.Mary river.
https://www.kimberleycampground.com/index.html
I'm not usually big on these commercial campgrounds but we stayed at this one a couple times while looking at real-estate in the region. It's owned by the city and is well run and nice.
Also makes a great base camp for local activities.
Like a time out for a fantastic meal at the Old Bauernhaus, a German barn transported to the Kootenays and converted into a restaurant.
Or for more casual food:
Stonefire Pizza
or Pedal & Tap (featured on "You gotta eat here" TV show)
Both in the Platzl in downtown Kimberley.
There are also many small campgrounds dotted around the valley near lakes, but these fill fast during good weather.
The Kimberley area has great Mt Bike trails, world class fly fishing, golf (oddly enough there are several very good golf courses around here if you're into that sort of thing), and lots of small lakes for canoes etc.

This shot is near HaHa lake just north of Kimberley.

Thanks for these tips we're heading out that way in august! Any good dispersed camping around there? The 3 day weekend rules are making camping impossible for that last weekend of August.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

sphet wrote:
Thanks for these tips we're heading out that way in august! Any good dispersed camping around there? The 3 day weekend rules are making camping impossible for that last weekend of August.

Best bet is to pick up one of the Backcounrty books, these show all the small roads that lead to Crown land. We usually just follow a logging road until we get to a landing with a view.
https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/backroad-mapbooks/bc-backroad-maps
P.S. Please be careful with fire. We've had a lite fire season so far, but that can change in a minute.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I totally enjoyed reading it. Love the family trip postings!
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wontfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report--Yellowstone, Glacier, Kootenay, Jasper, and on.... Reply with quote

Congratulations on another successful road trip. Thanks for taking us along.
Sweet van too. I'd like to ride shotgun in that someday.

Wontfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: