Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

VWHotSauce wrote:

The frame section I got is about 7 to 10in too short.

I would just go to my local steel shop and have them bend a section out of the correct thickness steel.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Klassic Fab comes through with this one! They had these to box int he rear section of the frame! Gerson is awesome and super helpful. Great company to work with! Super impressed!

Got the frame rails and these pieces to box them in at the rear!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Thank you to Shaun at Slow Ride Garage. Getting ready to put the frame in. I am so excited to be the proud owner of a split. I’ve never dreamed that I would get to own my dream bus.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Slow Ride Garage is awesome. They made a jig from another 65 to make sure the rear end lines right up.

Tacked right in and the jig bolted right up and it's welded!

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Very nice. That jig looks like it does the trick. That bus will be a roller before you know it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

He did a nice job on that frame graft
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

The jig looks like it may come in handy for future restorations. Nice.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Total Progress.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Nice work, the jig is a great idea and the graft looks pretty seamless. You must be thrilled to have an ass end to that rare bus. Keep posting updates.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

So they cut out the whole engine bay area. and cut the tail light housings ans stuff to get the engine out. It looks like someone took an acetylene torch and went apeshit with it. Litterally everywhere they could have used a wrench they jsut started cutting.

Slow Ride Garage is knocking it out and it looks like someday I might actually own a split! That's the dream!

VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Well, she's got a little lean to 'er, but I'm starting to fall in love. I've been busy prepping my daughter's bug. Kid turns 15 soon, and every 15 year old needs a car.

I'm not sure how Shaun is going to fix that, but the cargo floor area has to come out anyway. I assume when that gets replaced and the rigidity is gone, this can be massaged back.

On a positive note, they got the new hatch hinges on and it has a cargo door!!
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

The rear engine shelf area was basically swiss cheese, so it had to be replaced. Luckily, folks55 went out of his way on Super Bowl Sunday a year or so ago to pick up a donor rear section. Shaun at Slow ride and his fabricator removed the junk metal and are prepping to shove in the metal and fuel tank area for the ugly field find.

They took out the entire right side of the bus. Can see the engine vents here! There was damage from it getting tagged at some point.

This is the donor piece that was picked up on the CA coast and then came to NM for about a year and is now back in CA to become part of the Green Bus. I'm calling it the Green Bus because I haven't really felt it out and had a good proper VW name come to me.

Things are really moving now! Hopefully after the 4th this metal can make it's way home and the damage from the wreck can be minimized if not fully fixed.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Applause Very nice!! Shaun (and his guys) get shit done!
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Applause Very nice!! Shaun (and his guys) get shit done!

They really do. They had a few things ahead of my bus, but once they started rolling on it, it has been just at break neck speeds since then.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Nice recovery. I hereby dub thee - DESERT BUS II

Laughing

On the guy calling out 'fake Bus'

Quote:
Some people.. Laughing Sometimes it's not even worth the effort trying to prove to them otherwise.

VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

So. The metal is all prepped and ready to go.

The tool to pull the twist out of the frame.

I talked to Shawn today and he mentioned that "This is bus might be the worst bus I've ever worked on." Not for the rust but for the twist in it. I'm willing to put up a fight and get it put back together to see if I can get it back on the road.
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

So glad you are showing how this is done. I have 2 buses that need the exact same thing done.

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
VWHotSauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

BUGTHUG wrote:
So glad you are showing how this is done. I have 2 buses that need the exact same thing done.

Well, I don't to mislead, so keep in mind that this will never be a show bus. The bus will never be fully straight. Someone tried to beat the bottom corners out with a sledge hammer and busted all the support welds loose on the long panel and on the short panel. But that's okay becuase I don't want a show bus. I want something that I can roll around and not make myself sick if someone leans up against a $10k paint job. I want to throw some General Grabber AT's on it and go off into Big Bend Nat'l Park or make it to remote camp sites. I want to USE the bus.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

Where can I get this $10k paint job that is so nice I wouldn't want someone to lean on it? Laughing I'm in deeeeep for a driver quality job!

Project looks like it's coming along nicely, can't wait to see what he does to correct the lean.

VWHotSauce wrote:
BUGTHUG wrote:

Well, I don't to mislead, so keep in mind that this will never be a show bus. The bus will never be fully straight. Someone tried to beat the bottom corners out with a sledge hammer and busted all the support welds loose on the long panel and on the short panel. But that's okay becuase I don't want a show bus. I want something that I can roll around and not make myself sick if someone leans up against a $10k paint job. I want to throw some General Grabber AT's on it and go off into Big Bend Nat'l Park or make it to remote camp sites. I want to USE the bus.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Field Find with SO-22 Mosaik Interior Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Where can I get this $10k paint job that is so nice I wouldn't want someone to lean on it? Laughing I'm in deeeeep for a driver quality job!

Project looks like it's coming along nicely, can't wait to see what he does to correct the lean.

VWHotSauce wrote:
BUGTHUG wrote:

Yep, $10k these daysgetsyou drivers quality paint. You can double that for show...if you're lucky.
I like your idea though, make it nice enough to use. Campers are best when used for camping.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: