Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drum Brake Hardware
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

Maybe I just don’t know. Sure aren’t any details in the manual.

Pins and clips below. Dirty are old clean are new. The old clip has to be forced on and off the pin. Either pin. The new slips on and off. Meaning IT WILL NOT STAY ON. Do i need to pinch the tips together on the new hardware?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DRUM BRAKE HARDWARE Reply with quote

Yes, that clip was made for pinching, the old one looked like it once as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

I added a washer behind the pin on the e-brake clip. And i went with the slight pinch.

Next question
The horizontal lever. Jeez this thing can go any of 4 ways. Still need the clip forvthe upper spring. But the lever has a hump.

Hump up or hump down?

Seem correct?

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

I’ll probably get shot down, but I don’t think it matters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

Looks OK from here, better if the bump faces up so it clears the spring, but you still need the anti rattle clip on there.

As for the washer most use a thin wavy washer between the head and shoe or lever to take up play and prevent rattles.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

Bus Depot did not have the clip. Had to buy from somewhere else. Has not arrived yet.
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

On the clip - I honestly just replaced mine with a stainless bolts/nylock. Haven't had any issues in five years of running that.

On the hump - I think it should go up because the clip is shaped in such a way to pop around it and hold the return spring on the bottom. I just did mine last week and this is what my setup looks like.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:
On the clip - I honestly just replaced mine with a stainless bolts/nylock. Haven't had any issues in five years of running that.

On the hump - I think it should go up because the clip is shaped in such a way to pop around it and hold the return spring on the bottom. I just did mine last week and this is what my setup looks like.

I see something different on how I did mine. I searched for pictures and don't remember any pictures of 73+ set up like we are discussing and have pictured, mine and yours.... but your bottom spring clips from the outside. Other pix and mine clip from the inside. I think yours is correct. The coils on my spring are hitting a small hat channel on the backing plate. I don't think yours is..... Truthfully, I think the channel is for the cable to rest on. Plus the hooks face in and won't obstruct the hand brake cable..... I don't have a cable yet, so I can re-install the btm spring later.

To add one additional thing. It looks like you added some anti-seize or rattle lube to the adjusters. I did the same. Rubbed the threads and coated the barrel for the star adjuster.

Thanks.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Looks OK from here, better if the bump faces up so it clears the spring, but you still need the anti rattle clip on there.

Now I remember the shape of the spring clip.... I can see it on Guitarman's picture. If I had the clip I guess I would not have asked the question. The clip ALSO HAS A HUMP..... So HUMP UP.

Thanks,

Clark
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Drum Brake Hardware Reply with quote

I don't remember if the return springs have a preferred side, only that you should try to minimize any rubbing against the parking brake cable. I think that usually means the inner side.

On the star adjusters - if you add antisieze, make sure the spring clips are tightly in the stars. I got mine nice and lubed up but didn't tweak the springs - they completely backed themselves off in only a few miles of driving. You can tighten the clip grip by using a dull chisel or needlenose pliers to punch into the divot. Also remember to get backing plugs to minimize the chance of the adjusters rusting solid again.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: