Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What cam would you pick?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

Hi guys, I think I'm going to run a CB "cheater cam" 2280. What do you think for this engine?

1285cc 40 hp (stroked 69mm crank), supercharged (low boost 7psi), 1965 square boss heads (stock size valves or bigger). I can build a header if I need to, would like to use a stock exhaust. Ill be doing a TBI Megasquirt with VW coilpack, distributorless...

I'm going for a 5500 RPM and lower driver that will get decent mileage that will pull a few adults and kids comfortably in my Bug. This needs to be something that is comfortable for my wife to drive by herself. I asked Pat at CB a few years ago, and IIRC, he agreed with me.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

Well I doubt the early small oil relief 40 horse case will hold up to it. Maybe if it's fully inserted etc... Just as well go with more cam as the low end torque is going to exceed the cases abilities maybe not too much though since it's a small displacement engine. The best thing to do would be to get a late model 40 horse D series dual oil pressure relief case for this Idea of an engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

Even supercharged, the 2280 is not going to make power to 5500 rpm.

I'd be looking at durations in the 230-240 degrees @ 0.05" range. Then maybe work with lobe separation to manage overlap?

Yeah, a late 1200 case would be stronger, but I think if you work at balancing, clearances, good choice of parts, maybe enlarging some oil passages, etc...you could pull this off.

The issue that would worry me most is where to find an old case that hasn't been through a zillion heat cycles. And will crack as a result.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

I'm not looking for a radical engine combo. Putting a mild supercharger setup on 36hp and 40hp engines has been done for decades. Those engines just had a stock camshaft. I'll have the ability to control ignition and fuel with efi, so I can put any cam I want. If driving 40hp engine scares people because of case issues, then that's ok. I'm just putting an engine back together that was fresh, but broke the crankshaft. Case savers being done, full balance, spark plug holes getting welded for 12mm, etc.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
I'm not looking for a radical engine combo. Putting a mild supercharger setup on 36hp and 40hp engines has been done for decades. Those engines just had a stock camshaft. I'll have the ability to control ignition and fuel with efi, so I can put any cam I want. If driving 40hp engine scares people because of case issues, then that's ok. I'm just putting an engine back together that was fresh, but broke the crankshaft. Case savers being done, full balance, spark plug holes getting welded for 12mm, etc.

Last (only) time I broke a crank, the engine case was toast. Measure twice before you start putting too much money into that case.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
TinCanFab wrote:

Last (only) time I broke a crank, the engine case was toast. Measure twice before you start putting too much money into that case.

I'm using a different case, although the first one barely boogered up a bearing dowel hole. I was told it can be machined for a stepped dowel. None of that has anything to do with cam choices.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

Since you don't want too much power consider a cam without much lift. The Engle-2280 Has mild lift at about .400" at the valve but near stock duration. I installed a Webcam 118 that is similar on lift at .402" but it has 245' duration @ .050" however I run it normally aspirated with 1.25 Ratio rockers which brought the lift up to make it even more cam than the Webcam 218 John at ACN may have some ideas for you. With the 118 you could run 1:1 Ratio Rockers or 1.1:1 Ratio Rockers or 1.25:1 ratio rockers or even mix them.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
Hi guys, I think I'm going to run a CB "cheater cam" 2280. What do you think for this engine?

1285cc 40 hp (stroked 69mm crank), supercharged (low boost 7psi), 1965 square boss heads (stock size valves or bigger). I can build a header if I need to, would like to use a stock exhaust. Ill be doing a TBI Megasquirt with VW coilpack, distributorless...

I'm going for a 5500 RPM and lower driver that will get decent mileage that will pull a few adults and kids comfortably in my Bug. This needs to be something that is comfortable for my wife to drive by herself. I asked Pat at CB a few years ago, and IIRC, he agreed with me.

The 2280 is fine for what you want to do.
Bump static CR to 8-1.
If you use the older single relief D case, or even an F case, drill the main supply gallery to 10,5 mm. I like to enlarge the passage to the cooler with 1 mm and the return to the main gallery from the cooler with 2 mm to reduce back pressure from the cooler. When that is done you can also increase oil pump size to 25/26 mm. for better supply.

T
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What cam would you pick? Reply with quote

Cool, I've never done a cam swap on a single port engine. I am going to do the oil cooler mods. I'll be using an external oil cooler/fan and stock dummy oil cooler to keep the heat out of the shroud too.

She didn't want a scary 2 liter turbo engine like the car had. I didn't want to drive a car with a boring stock engine. So, this is my compromise Very Happy

Here's why I don't want a doghouse shroud setup.

How many people have put a supercharger under a stock early decklid car, that isn't a rare vintage kit?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: