Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Deleted, no point discussing this.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Logic is in the eye of the beholder.... 😉😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Quoting Spock again? Wink Laughing Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

We had a similar 'discussion' on the Modern Vespa forums about telling people how to open the seat of their scooters if they're inadvertently left their keys under the seat.

It became very obvious that thieves would use the quick'n'easy way every time (hammer, crowbar, brute force), and only owners would take care to minimise damage and ask for forum help to get out of an unfortunate situation. Added to which, a careful perusal of the parts diagrams and/or just eyeballing the mechanics of the Vespas would show just how to accomplish the deed.

So now it's common knowledge amongst Vespa owners how to open their seats without a key, but the thieves still just break the locks.

A tweaker will NOT have researched these forums just to find out how to gain access to an individual van that belongs to an owner here on the Samba.

Yes, it's possible. BUT it's vanishingly unlikely.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

do any of the dash cams with GPS allow use as a locator?
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

So a few inexpensive options I have come across.

Dog GPS locators. They have cheap monthly plans. Battery does not last log though.

Bicycle GPS locators. They also have cheap plans. They can have batteries that last a long time. Maybe ever hardwire into the van somehow.

I like this bike seat post tracker. Would be easy to hide it in the van somewhere.

http://www.spybike.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

That seat post tracker looks to be a winner. I like the automatic arming when it detects the phone moving way. By coincidence it was 16 years ago today, I had a bike stolen and spent some time pondering on some kind of Lo-Jack or alerting/tracking system. But 2003 was a bit early for all that. Tech has caught up.

I'd consider replacing the gadget I have with one of these…can't be too hard to hardwire it and with enough interest, they could make them in a different form factor.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Almost all of the locators I've looked at, even the old one I still use, have a way to notify you when they are moved or exceed a geofence. I am not sure this one does anything new.

The Western Syncro build
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Almost all of the locators I've looked at, even the old one I still use, have a way to notify you when they are moved or exceed a geofence. I am not sure this one does anything new.

This one does it by monitoring a connection to your phone without you having to arm the locator. That's not something my TK102 can do. You can create geofence in your home location but new locations require a command to arm. Am I gonna do that everytime I go out?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
dobryan wrote:

This one does it by monitoring a connection to your phone without you having to arm the locator. That's not something my TK102 can do. You can create geofence in your home location but new locations require a command to arm. Am I gonna do that everytime I go out?

Great point!

The Western Syncro build
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Yes, does it through your phone via Bluetooth. 99% of the time I drive my van, I have my phone with me. No phone -> the device is armed and sends a text. They claim the battery can last 3 months of not being armed and tracking. That’s pretty good!

But the big bonus here, is the monthly charge is only $5.

As I recall from earlier posts, Spot was charging 140-200 / year? Compared to $60 for the year on the bike gps locator.
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I recently set up an old iphone as a gps tracker for my van. I picked up a cheap data only SIM card ($5/month), set up a separate account for the van and shared location with my main account. I can use either "find my phone" or find friends to see the location. One nice feature about "find my friends" is that you can set up you phone to alert you when the van is moved.

The phone is connected to a hidden USB charger connected to my house battery. Seems to work pretty well so far.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

This one here looks to be the one shown 2 posts above mine and the description and Amazon reviewers also show mixed results with it. (Some people however just are unlucky though I want to see 90% or better success ratings.)
https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Tracking-Motorcycl...mp;sr=1-31

Got this. Got the $5 SIM on the GSM network (looks to be the only one network for this unit). Attempting to get it to respond. Looking like it is 2G, at least from the instructions sheet. Anyway, I am in Verizon territory at the moment. I will plug it in in Minneapolis, and see if GSM links there.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

If it is 2g I think you will have issues as most providers dropped 2g coverage.

The Western Syncro build
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

It says in the description it is 2G

"Note:
This tracker will work with 2G SIM card or 3G/4G SIM card with 2G network."

I wouldn't bother.

Mark
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Just north of the Metro, I get t-mobile signal, and I get the reply of the location. Seems to be working, even though I've gotten several 'password error' messages on reply to my txt to get location.

Better than nothing, but I think I will still keep looking for an additional unit. Placed me on the map exactly where i have the unit sitting, Interesting.

The interface is hard to understand. I've gotten little further than a single response with my location. Otherwise 'password error' every time. Management web config is not helpful.

Note: When I call the phone number associated with the SIM, I get a voice message that the user I am trying to call is not connected to the network. I'd guess the 2G/3G/4G network stuff is still a big question. I have no experience with how to differentiate. The only consistent reply I can get is to issue the 'restore factory setting send messages begin123456' which replies immediately with a lot of interesting information, but not much I know what to do with.

Wonder how many txt's came with that 5$ card..

Later:

So, a bit more testing, the only thing I can really get a consistent response from is actually phoning the number. It replies via text, the location, and a Google Maps link.

I'm going to mount this one somewhere with little or no metal facing the sky.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Mine works the same way. Call it and it texts location. I think T mobile supports 2g. My Verizon does not.

The Western Syncro build
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

So, a bit more testing, the only thing I can really get a consistent response from is actually phoning the number. It replies via text, the location, and a Google Maps link.

That's all I was expecting and all I have ever gotten.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

So I have a few options that may work but maybe not ideal.

I have a few old iPhones.

First option, requires active sim with data. So not so cheap. But Find My iPhone is basically a gps locator but relies on cell tower coverage.
The phone could be hard wired into a hiding spot in the van.

Option #2.
This one is essentially free!
Use an old phone with a SIM card. Just needs a phone number, does not need to have an active plan. The phone will still connect to the network. YOU cannot track the phone; But, if your van is stolen, and has the phone on board, the phone can be Pinged by police and it’s location can be found by them. I don’t know that it could be real time gps tracked this way, or would just have to be Pinged frequently if the van is moving.
I’m going to do some more research into this one. But may be a good option.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

anyone have any insights to this unit?
http://www.rzrtracker.com/

$165 US or $195 Can

Quote:
This waterproof All-weather GPS tracker is an ideal solution for any side by side, boat, motorcycle, ATV, trailers, heavy equipment. Track anything with a constant 12V or 24V power source with a simple 2 wire install. (12v+ & ground)

This device has a built in back-up battery if tampered with or disconnected from the battery source. This battery will charge when the vehicle is turned on. It will also text(SMS) and email you if its been disconnected or Tampered with. Be alerted if the battery on your vehicle drops below 11.4 volts!

Users can setup up to 10 Geo-fences and be notified if this vehicle leave or enters the zone. Geo-fences can be over layed on each other to notify multiple users of possible theft!

With unlimited locates, text(SMS), emails & alerts its hard to beat our price!

RZRTracker w/ Bracket Kit
Bracket kit includes 1 Aluminium bracket made to fit 1ft. of doublesided VHB tape for mounting directly on unit. 1 Heat shrink tube, 3 Self tapping screws, 3 metal rubber washers, 2 zip ties, extra screw for bracket. 2 Ring terminals to fit most bus panels. 3 line holding clamps to help hide/run cable.

GPS tracking device is waterproof and weatherproof. This device exceeds mil spec standards for shock and vibration.

You can locate the device on demand at any time active, set up geofences, get text or email alerts, and more!

Tracking devices size is approximately the size of a business card. Making it easy to hide

This waterproof GPS tracker includes 1 YEAR of Unlimited Service, Free Shipping and NO EXPENSIVE MONTHLY FEES & NO CONTRACTS!

Tracking devices are back by the power of Calamp Industries a parent company to Lojack with over 5 million devices and 30 Years of experience.

Quote:
RZRTracker w/ Bracket Kit
Bracket kit includes 1 Aluminium bracket made to fit 1ft. of doublesided VHB tape for mounting directly on unit. 1 Heat shrink tube, 3 Self tapping screws, 3 metal rubber washers, 2 zip ties, extra screw for bracket. 2 Ring terminals to fit most bus panels. 3 line holding clamps to help hide/run cable

looks like additional years of service are $20/yr $1.60/month

Quote:
The price for 1 year of service is $20.00. Purchase 2 years of service for $40.00. We will send you and email reminder of 3 days prior to the cancellation of service. You can add a year of service at any time.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 34

Jump to: