Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breather issue.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Breather issue. Reply with quote

I've read every breather post on here, and have still not got anywhere with this.
2276, FK8, built by Steve Tims, using his heads and more. This is his breather set up, but not necessarily his routing.
PO put the engine in the car.
Currently has about 1,300 K miles, plus the dyno time. I'd think it's broken in.

Still get a fair amount of mist from what I believe is the crank pulley. Next step is to remove that serpentine system and go with stock pulleys.
Currently routed 1/2 valve cover to B
Fuel Pump BO to C
Oil filler pipe to carb ( not happy about that ).

Thoughts ?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

I just use a cheap buggy breather kit on my 2332 and havent seen a drop of oil anywhere.
Each valve cover has a hose into each end... and center hose goes to oil fill/crankcase.

Just my opinion... but Id get rid of the line going to RH air cleaner.
Any oil mist will cause detonation.
The only thing entering my engine is fresh air and fuel.
If you have a ton of blowby... that would cause issues too.

Did you look at the crank pulley ?
I think some are machined smooth for a crank seal, and some have a spiral groove cut in them to direct stray oil back into the engine.
Maybe theres an issue there ?

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

I have the same setup as Turnswrenches, and run a turbo, but no oil leaks anywhere.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

Turnswrenches wrote:
I just use a cheap buggy breather kit on my 2332 and havent seen a drop of oil anywhere.
Each valve cover has a hose into each end... and center hose goes to oil fill/crankcase.

Just my opinion... but Id get rid of the line going to RH air cleaner.
Any oil mist will cause detonation.
The only thing entering my engine is fresh air and fuel.
If you have a ton of blowby... that would cause issues too.

Did you look at the crank pulley ?
I think some are machined smooth for a crank seal, and some have a spiral groove cut in them to direct stray oil back into the engine.
Maybe theres an issue there ?

I don’t see where that center hose is going too. Plus you have an aftermarket pulley too.. is your oil filler tube venting too ?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
I've read every breather post on here, and have still not got anywhere with this.
2276, FK8, built by Steve Tims, using his heads and more. This is his breather set up, but not necessarily his routing.
PO put the engine in the car.
Currently has about 1,300 K miles, plus the dyno time. I'd think it's broken in.

Still get a fair amount of mist from what I believe is the crank pulley. Next step is to remove that serpentine system and go with stock pulleys.
Currently routed 1/2 valve cover to B
Fuel Pump BO to C
Oil filler pipe to carb ( not happy about that ).

Thoughts ?

It looks to be in an early Bay. Its most likely running a little hot. Does the engine have an external oil cooler to aid?
Routing the hose from the oil filler to the carb should not be a problem as such. But those small stupid aftermarket oil fillers DO NOT work as intended. there are no baffles inside. Its just a "fancy" filler. Due to that it is generally a no go. It should be routed to the upper cannister. The cannister looks to be more than well vented, but if you would like a slightly more enclosed system you route a hose from the upper side of the cannister to the carbs. It is correct that oil mist increases the risk of detonation, but if the engine is ok and the breather system is made properly it is not a problem.
Personally I do not like the valve cover venting. I will much rather use the slight over pressure to help sending the oil back into the case so there is room for fresh oil. Valve cover venting is mainly a misunderstood part of the PCV system, which hardly anyone use nowadays. (Racing is different.)
Since you have superior venting capacity in that cannister I would route the hose from the oil filler to the "A" position and block the hole in the aircleaner.
If we really should get into it you can reroute the hoses to amore appropriate hook up.
There seem to be three inlets so we will use those.
Route the hose from the fuel pump area to "B" due to it being the lowest point and that is where the oil should drain back.
Route valve cover hoses and oil filler hoses to "A" & "C" however you like it. That is of less importance.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

In addition to what Alsrup says, I am looking at the size of fittings and hoses. There are really only two that vent the crankcase and they are too long and too small. They would not even flow as much air as the stock down tube on the stock oil filler which by the way is not there.

You have increased the engine displacement by 42% and DECREASED the venting capacity by likely more than that.

The quick and easy fix in my view would be to put the stock filler and vent down tube back on.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

The oil filler tube has a -8 fitting in it now, that originally went to the A plug. I need to weld on a -8 bung on the bottom and run the FP plate hose to that, so it will drain back.
I'll also put on the stock filler tube with the vent under the engine.

This is in a Thing. No thought on the Serpentine pulley ?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

Regarding the pulley, you have to change to a different one and not change anything else to truly know. I had a pulley where the O.D of the spiral was slightly smaller, and wouldnt seal.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Regarding the pulley, you have to change to a different one and not change anything else to truly know. I had a pulley where the O.D of the spiral was slightly smaller, and wouldnt seal.

The stock pulley doesn't really seal...It has deeper grooves on the snout, and a very squared off cut at the flange. Meant to throw back any small amount of oil that get's that far. Most aftermarket pulleys don't have the deep grooves, and have a radius at the snout.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

I hope it's had atleast 3 oil&filter changes.....
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

I would

Plug air cleaner vent
left valve cover to "A"
fuel pump to "B"
oil fill to new bung installed somewhere between "B" and "C"
right valve cover to "C"

Throw the serpentine belt in the trash and get a Gene Berg Achiever pulley.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I would

Plug air cleaner vent
left valve cover to "A"
fuel pump to "B"
oil fill to new bung installed somewhere between "B" and "C"
right valve cover to "C"

Throw the serpentine belt in the trash and get a Gene Berg Achiever pulley.

Left valve cover, 3/4? Don’t see many people advocating that .
Not sure about the pulley, but all else is what I was going to try next.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

Not sure what the problem is....

I have a 2180 with FK8 and Steve Tims heads and have no problem with just both valve covers vented to a Berg breather.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

The problem as I see it is right at the case and right valve cover. Those 2 pretty connectors and hoses most likely have less than 1/2 the breathing capacity that your system has. Everything past those 2 hoses is rendered useless because the crankcase vapours can't get there. It's building up inside the engine and can't get out fast enough.
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

My 2110 with an FK10, ultra mag heads and IDA’s.

Fastfab breather box mounted on the fire wall, each rocker cover vented and the fuel pump block off connects to the original breather on the filler with a t piece then goes to the breather box also. Uses -8 hose and regularly turns 7000rpm and doesn’t breathe a drop a oil.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

You should shorten that fuel pump blockoff hose so it doesnt go downhill. It will trap fluid in the low spot
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

I would eliminate the valve cover breathers all together and improve breathing off the filler and fuel pump block off. Replace your empi oil filler with a Jaycee -10, same with the fuel pump.

This is a 2724cc that turns 8500rpm. With a CSP breather and a -10 from the fuel pump block off. I replaced the CSP oil filler cap with the KN cone filter. KISS (Keep it simple and stupid)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

I like that idea of putting a filter/breather where the oil fill cap was. Smart
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

All good ideas worth trying. Like I said earlier, previous owner had this hooked up, but not necessarily like originally intended.

Thanks again for the responses.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Breather issue. Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I like that idea of putting a filter/breather where the oil fill cap was. Smart

It looks pretty now but will eventually be a goopy mess.
Been there.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: