Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

marvel mystery oil (yes/no)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: marvel mystery oil (yes/no) Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Marvel mystery oil....was so widely used starting from around the time is was created....because it actually works...for what it was designed for.

If you carefully read their history on their site....it was created SPECIFICALLY to combat two issues:

1. Carburetor jets clogging from tetra-ethyl lead.

2 top ring sealing issues...largely from the same problem along with carbon build up.

The chemical they pioneered the use of...and its been used in many products since....is Tricresyl phosphate.

One of its chemical oddities is that it is used to bind to tetra-ethyl lead to keep it in suspension so it cannot bind or plate to other surfaces/metals. This along with a helping of Naptha and ethyl benzene and para-dichlorbenzene in MMO.....helps break down teh carbon and varnish on rings as well.

And....that chemical....slightly softens and swells Vitons and other fluoroelastomer rubbers (which is why PR tube seals may stop leaking)....but it may eventually cause them to swell to much and fail in the long run. Kind of like its not a great idea to use the modern high mileage motor oils on a newer car. They actually do work...but by attacking and swelling seals so they stop leaking. Eventually those seals will fail because of this....but if its an older high mileage car....and it gives you another 30-40k leak free miles before rebuild....great!

But...that chemical only slightly softens Vitons...which is what your PR seals are made of. It flat out attacks lesser rubbers like Neoprene, Nitrile etc. Its only in MMO in a few percent of the total so its not like its going to melt your seals quickly.....but bear in mind

Also in the marvel mystery oil mix...as mentioned... are three chemicals....ethyl benzene (carcinogen) para-dichlorobenzene (carcinogen and classic pesticide additive), Tricresyl Phosphate (carcinogen, nerve toxin, highly, highly toxic...and is an organo-phosphate used in pesticides and herbicides...."Round-up" is an organo-phosphate.

Just keep it off of your skin. Ray

Very interesting, Ray, thank you.

So, if I understand correctly, the Tricresyl Phosphate in the MMO is most likely causing my Viton push rod tube seals to swell....which has apparently stopped their slight leaking...at least for now. I wonder what if any effect it’s having on the other seals and hoses throughout the rest of the engine and fuel system? The primary reason I only burn non ethanol fuel is to avoid the damage reportedly caused by alcohol to the rubber seals and lines.

I’m also wondering why the vent tube has stopped dribbling since I introduced the MMO to the oil and fuel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: marvel mystery oil (yes/no) Reply with quote

It is most probably the MMO. Between that chemical....the Naptha....and the benzenes.....any or all can cause a range of rubbers to swell slightly.

While I would not use these type of products in a newer car like my 2012 Golf.....I see no problems in an ACVW. If you are planning a life span of 70-100k miles over 7-10 years.....and the product keeps the engine cleaner and running longer its a good deal. If it makes the seals fail slightly earlier, thats not a big deal on an ACVW engine........the ACVW engine is damn simple to pull every 3-5 years and slap in a complete set of seals.

Not something I would like to do on a more modern engine....and there are too many other things in a modern engine that may not play well. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: marvel mystery oil (yes/no) Reply with quote

Hey FL Frank, Frank from Florida here.

I'm not sure what type of ethanol free fuel you're running but I'm gonna tell you a story. I once put together a stock motor and ran it exclusively on Rec 90. When I took it apart I saw the fluffiest carbon deposits I'd ever seen in the combustion chambers. Never seen that running normal pump gas with the ethanol. I'm not a fan of the decreased power per volume but I'll tell you what, it runs much cleaner for the motor that way. I bump jet sizes and forget about it, motor runs great and mpg is fine. No big deal!

I use my car daily though. I also gave up the german braided fuel wicks and let others buy them, I only use 1/4" fuel injection hose and don't worry about ethanol damaging my lines. Anyone that wants braided can have it, If I get it I'll pass it on the the next guy. Not for me!

Just some tidbits I've observed.

-Frank
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: marvel mystery oil (yes/no) Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
67 Sunroof wrote:
For gas I use startron. If you are using a good quality oil I would expect you wouldn’t need additional additives.

I used to use startron too, until non ethanol fuel became more readily available here in my area. BTW, I mis spoke when I said I use only Sunoco non ethanol, it’s actually Chevron non ethanol.

Yeah Sunoco has 94 and Chevron is the non ethanol around here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: