Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredikium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

Our 2001 Eurovan developed a new concerning problem on the hill heading east out of Zion NP.

At a slow point on the incline, it abruptly shifted into 1st gear - running 4,000 RPM at 20 mph. Even as we crested the hill, it wouldn't shift up as I would expect, despite my foot just feathering the gas. Eventually, if I completely released the gas pedal for 3-4 seconds, then slowly reapplied, it would shift. Did a similar thing a few times, at different speeds - got "stuck" in 3rd once as well on a lesser incline, with a similar solution once we got to a flat.

Visited a mechanic today in Flagstaff who had a few initial thoughts. He reset the codes and reprogrammed the basic TCM set points to make sure that wasn't the issue. His suggestion was to drive down to Sedona and back (downhill there, and uphill back) to see how it behaved.

All worked normal and as expected going there, but coming back, about halfway up the hill, it started misbehaving again. Tried stopping, turning it off and on, and restarting - no change - still in 1st. Tried using the manual downshift (3, 2), to see if it was a programming thing - no change - still in 1st.

What DID work was to stop, turn it off for 15 minutes in shade, then restart, and all was normal back to Flagstaff.

So it seems to be heat related - once the transmission gets over a certain temp, it starts getting "stuck" in lower gears and not wanting to shift up normally. Letting it cool off for a bit corrected the symptoms.

This EV got a rebuilt transmission about 40,000 miles ago. Is it possible it just needs a service? Fluid dump and refill? Or is it something more serious?
joeintern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

I have 1999 Eurovan EVC

I had the same issue. I had heard so much about transmissions entering "limp mode" that I stopped immediately and camped until the next day, returning home down the pass. I am almost certain that my transmission fluid temps were way too high - so installed an external transmission cooler - and a Bluetooth obdii reader and torque pro app on my phone to monitor trans fluid temps. Others use scanguage to monitor. I highly recommend the external cooler as the original uses engine coolant to cool the transmission fluid. This makes little sense as the engine coolant runs 180-200+ On my trip post external cooler, trans fluid temps were 139-179...

I'm also going to change my trans fluid every 10-15k miles... as it is not that hard to do.

This is a good start for more info as Rialtas use the same engine/trans:

http://www.rialtainfo.com/vw/transmission.htm#cooler
fredikium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the App and Bluetooth reader! I have a cheap plug-in one, but it doesn't give me any transmission info. At $20, plus $5 for the app, I'll definitely get the Bluetooth one and see how much more info I get.

I posted this same message on FB forum, and many recommended transmission servicing. I did take it in for that, and the mechanic said the transmission seemed to be in okay shape - no burnt fluid, a bit of metal on the pan magnet, but not enough to be too concerned. He did note our filter had fallen loose, so it wasn't doing much, and may have been affecting fluid flow. He cleaned it all up and sent us on our way, with the thought that our valve body may have been gummed up a bit by the filter having come loose.

Problem has recurred once since, on a particularly hot stretch in some up and down hills in Florida, but otherwise has been great. Will definitely be ordering the external cooler and installing ASAP, and will keep an eye on the operations to see if the valves have been messed up somehow.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

Running your transoil at 200-225 F coolant temperature will give you 50,000 mile plus life. Your trans was probably designed to run with the ATF at this temp and viscosity. The primary benefit of the external coolers is a high profit margin suck out of your wallet for an added Rube Goldberg of hose clamps, fittings, hoses ...all ATF leak points.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Running your transoil at 200-225 F coolant temperature will give you 50,000 mile plus life. Your trans was probably designed to run with the ATF at this temp and viscosity. The primary benefit of the external coolers is a high profit margin suck out of your wallet for an added Rube Goldberg of hose clamps, fittings, hoses ...all ATF leak points.

That's correct. People do not understand heat transfer and do not understand that the OEM unit is not a trans cooler at all. It's heat exchanger. The heat generated by the transmission is transferred to the coolant system and thus the radiator does the job of transferring that heat to the atmosphere. I have yet ever seen any data that shows how a EV transmission lasts longer as compared to the one with the heat exchanger. If you are seeing burnt up fluid all of the time and seeing the transmission puking out fluid due to high temps, then I could see a reason for a trans cooler. So far, not one post on that.

I assume everyone would not be happy when you see many racecars today that do not use external oil coolers but just use a heat exchanger instead. Why would we do such a stupid thing? It's simple, consistency in fluid temp and a simple plumbing issue. What i do not like with the coolers are this. The cheapness of the fittings (which have caused many problems that have been documented) and that it's in front of the radiator and condenser. So, the heat is just being mostly transferred to the radiator and condenser.

At this point, the trans coolers are just a feel good item that people are sticking on their 15+ year old Eurovans in hopes that it fixes their issues. It doesn't as the valve body will still wear out and make your trans shift wonky due to not enough pressure for the pistons that need the pressure when it's needed.

Go ahead, take that 15 year old Eurovan and throw a cooler on it. The problem will not go away. On the other hand, you'll feel better (until it blows a hose because of the garbage fittings they give you).
fredikium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

I bought the BAFX dongle and the Torque Pro app as suggested above and found my transmission is running at 280°F, not the 220-225°F that is indicated above as normal.

Coolant temperature at that time is 210°F, and I wonder how much heat transfer the coolant can take at that temperature when it is also removing heat from the engine.

I cannot offer hard data to dispute the cash grab suggestion above, but I have read in dozens of different forums and VW sites anecdotal reviews that say their vans run better after installing the aux cooler. I have also been told by no less than 6 reputable VW mechanics that I should get one. Given the temps I'm seeing right now, maybe in my case it would get my temperature down to the normal range of 200-225?

I would add, the transmission was JUST serviced, and ATF is at the correct level.

[/b]
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

fredikium wrote:
I bought the BAFX dongle and the Torque Pro app as suggested above and found my transmission is running at 280°F, not the 220-225°F that is indicated above as normal.

Additional context is needed here...are you saying that your transmission hit 280°F while climbing the same steep hills that elicited the shifting problems, or are you saying that your transmission is running at 280°F all of the time?

If you are you saying that your transmission is running at 280°F all of the time, this is very peculiar:

- I would verify that the temperature is remotely this hot by checking the temperature of the transmission pan with an infrared thermometer. The temperature sensor for the transmission is a resistor found within the ribbon cable that is connected to the solenoids on the valve-body. The temperature of the transmission pan and the temperature of the fluid detected by this sensor should be approximately the same. If they are not the same (i.e. the temp of the transmission pan measures out to be ~220°F while the sensor reads 280°F), then I would suspect the temp sensor in the ribbon cable has gone bad ---but I would then verify the transmission temp seen by the TCU using VAG-COM just to confirm there are no issues with TorquePro interpreting the trans temp data stream.

- If your transmission temp is running at 280°F all of the time, I'm assuming that the temp gradually rose to this point after you began driving it, and that the temp varies a bit with load (i.e. it goes down when you're coasting or idling; it goes up even further when you're climbing a hill, etc). If there is no variation in trans temp across modes of driving, I would be further skeptical that TorquePro is reporting the transmission temperature accurately.

- But let's say that TorquePro is reporting the transmission temperature accurately, and you have verified that the temperature of the transmission pan is about 280°F. This would suggest that either:
1) the heat-exchanger is not functioning properly. I would check the temperature of the coolant hoses to and from the heat-exchanger. At 280°F operating temp, the coolant hose exiting the heat exchanger should be extremely hotter than any of the other coolant hoses in the engine bay. Is it? If not, you'll need to determine whether you have coolant flow into AND out of the heat-exchanger. If you have coolant flow into and out of the heat-exchanger, but it is not exchanging heat, then the heat-exchanger may be clogged on the transmission side (i.e. junk from a looming internal failure).
-or-
2) your transmission is generating a significant amount of heat during normal driving, *perhaps* due to one (or more) clutch-pack slipping. I'm unfamiliar with what channels from the TCU TorquePro can display, but VAG-COM can display the data channel for "slipping" in any of the clutch combinations that produce your driving "gears". Understand that this is not a definitive diagnosis; rather, your trans operating at 280°F with a functioning heat-exchanger is not normal and indicates a more serious internal problem; and replacing the heat-exchanger with an external cooler to reduce transmission fluid temperature is simply a band-aid to mask a symptom of the problem...the internal problem(s) is still there.

Spend some more time to verify that the data you are seeing on TorquePro is correct and to diagnose what the problems may be before you throw an external cooler at the "problem".

I don't think electrickery works that way
fredikium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! I am an engineer, so fully appreciate the detailed troubleshooting approach you are suggesting.

First off, the app is reporting °C, and I am converting them to °F for the audience (I am Canadian and speak celcius, but recognize most here will appreciate the conversion).

The 280°F that I posted about yesterday was in a city, stop and go traffic, 95-100°F ambient (driving through Florida) - air intake reporting a bit higher at 110°F - and the transmission started misbehaving. After a 15 minute stop and shutdown/cooldown in a parking lot, all behaved normally again.

While cruising on the interstate at 65 mph, checked the reading and it showed 270 °F - no misbehaving, but also a relatively level road not requiring shifting.

More data gathered today...

Started up in the [hot!] afternoon and drove about 10 miles, small town driving (not repetitive stop and go, but a few traffic lights). Checked the temp at Home Depot, and it showed 200°F.

Carried on our journey north - after an hour on the interstate, cruising at 65 mph, transmission was running relatively level at 270°F.

So the sensor is not "stuck", but whether it is accurate is a fair question that needs to be confirmed. I don't have an IR gun handy, but can see how easy I can procure or borrow one.

Is VAG-COM something that is available to the general public, or is that just a VW tech tool?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission slow to leave low gears when hot Reply with quote

fredikium wrote:

So the sensor is not "stuck", but whether it is accurate is a fair question that needs to be confirmed. I don't have an IR gun handy, but can see how easy I can procure or borrow one.

Is VAG-COM something that is available to the general public, or is that just a VW tech tool?

You should be able to drop into any local Lowes or Home Depot and find an IR gun for about $30.

You can find info about VAG-COM and the VCDS programs here: https://www.ross-tech.com/
I run a registered version of VCDS-Lite ($99) with a 3rd party USB interface ($15 off eBay); you can run VCDS-Lite unregistered for free, but its functions are a bit more limited (IIRC, you cannot change any of the adaptation values...but you should still be able to view the different measuring blocks that will display the values for numerous data channels for both the engine and transmission control units).

I don't think electrickery works that way
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: