Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

Hey folks - I'm hoping my new pop top tent (GW) ships in the next week or so. I have volunteered a few friends to help out but I'm wondering if there's anyone in the Denver area that would either like to help out and/or watch in preparation for their own pop top replacement project. I'll have beer!

Also, I'd welcome any pointers - i.e. specific tools or best practices that have worked for others. I have watched the GW video a few dozen times.

This will be an early model replacement w. tack strip. I am planning to be at the Denver meet up in Golden next Thursday as well, FYI.

Cheers,

Ben
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

jamin307 wrote:
...I'll have beer!

Also, I'd welcome any pointers...

Hide the beer until the job is done.

Tricks & tools depend in part on whether you plan to do it with the shell still on the van or if you plan to remove it entirely and work on it upside down.

Since you've invited friends perhaps the latter is the plan - though I left it in place and working solo didn't find the job to tricky.

How much trouble it is depends mostly on whether the tent you get is a good fit (I went thru 4 before I got one that was even close to fitting).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

Harbor freight pick set and their ratchet 90 Philip’s screwdriver.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

You don't want to attempt this until the temps drop around here.
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

Quote:
Hide the beer until the job is done.

Oh I agree, those are just to attract extra hands to help with the easy stuff.

Quote:
Tricks & tools depend in part on whether you plan to do it with the shell still on the van or if you plan to remove it entirely and work on it upside down.

I am planning on removing the top and setting it on a pair of saw-horses wrapped with towels. I'm also attempting to coordinate a repair/paint job on the top while it's off, but that may be wishful thinking.

Quote:
You don't want to attempt this until the temps drop around here.

I have a shaded area so I'm hoping to work on it during the first half of the day.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

Yup, that's a good way to do it if you have the time & help to move it.

I did mine that way two years ago.

It makes it easy to measure everything, lay the canvas out in the top, measure it again and then secure it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

I did mine, I removed the top to make repairs, clean and repaint.

I also used BusDepot's canvas and was very happy with the fit.

I had one helper to remove the top assembly and reinstall it.

Deals in this link and following pages.....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

Removing the top means you can also clean the flocking much easier.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver Reply with quote

We're doing a complete glass fix, full paint, steel roof repair-weld and paint (bad solar shop), and tent on ours in Castle Rock sometime this summer, thanks to a forty-year friend-client.

If ours gets done first I'd be happy to share horror stories. If not we're always up to Bus-hang with others.

I'd love to make it on the 18th but it's my birthday and we're working near Rabbit Ears all week. Crying or Very sad

We'll be at one of the best restoration shops in the U.S. for a week or so, so it's gonna/gotta go well. Laughing I'll be pinstriping between roof work.

I plan to make this sucker as tight as a Neil Peart drum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Replacing a Pop Top Tent in Denver--BTDT Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6021371&highlight=atelier+marks#6021371

It's held up!

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: