Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
It has been forever since I worked on a FI Type 1, but I THINK the ECU/FI grounds are at a male connection on the alternator. I want to say it is at the topside but I really can't remember right off.

They sure are. Three white wires, utilizing a screw, screwed into the alternator body.

You need to check those ground wires.

If that is okay, you will need to start checking the wires from the ecu to the different sensors. Something is foul.

Just to be certain. Did you check your air boot for holes? You need to take it off and gently flex it to find them.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

Ricksurfin wrote:
First world fast guy problems. Sheesh. Lol

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

I removed the air cleaner and air flow sensor but forgot to check the air boot for leaks but will this afternoon. I removed and sanded the ground connections, connectors and screw to get a good contact. Here are some photos. I remove the throttle valve switch connector to see the condition of the pins. Five male and 4 Female connectors?

One more thing I might have overlooked is the charcoal canister vacuum hoses. Not too sure if hooked up correctly but I will have to look it up in the bentley.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you mentioned 3 wires, there are two groups of 2 ground wires(4 total)

Throttle valve switch has 5 male connectors and 4 female??

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Yep, only 4.

How does it run, after cleaning up the grounds? If it will not run on its own....can you keep it running by spraying carb cleaner into the snorkel? I want to reduce the large number of variables from the multiple possibilities. Letís get it down to one system, for sure.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

Ricksurfin wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
can you keep it running by spraying carb cleaner into the snorkel? I want to reduce the large number of variables from the multiple possibilities. Letís get it down to one system, for sure.

Ok Jimbo, I have been busy vacationing and getting other honey-do-list projects. I got around to doing what you said. It does indeed continue to run using the carb cleaner. Here is a link to a video.

https://sipeadelic.wixsite.com/cabby-mk1/1976-vw-super-beetle-video
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

mtsipe wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
can you keep it running by spraying carb cleaner into the snorkel? I want to reduce the large number of variables from the multiple possibilities. Letís get it down to one system, for sure.

Ok Jimbo, I have been busy vacationing and getting other honey-do-list projects. I got around to doing what you said. It does indeed continue to run using the carb cleaner. Here is a link to a video.

https://sipeadelic.wixsite.com/cabby-mk1/1976-vw-super-beetle-video

Thatís awesome! So, now we know it can run! We know that spark is good, so no need in going after that, too much, other than signal.

So, it is a lack of fuel or too much air.

Really thinking that signal wire may be the issue, or you have a massive hole or multiple holes in the intake manifold. You need to perform a smoke test on the intake. Know anyone who smokes, and would be willing to blow that smoke into your intake manifold?

Ricksurfin wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

I think it's a vacuum leak. The intake system needs to be 100% sealed up with no vacuum leaks in order to run properly.

I'd recommend removing the air filter, the S boot and the air flow meter and the long hose that goes from the S boot down to the Aux Air Regulator. (AAR)

Clean up and inspect the S boot, make sure the long hose to the AAR is sealing well with the metal coupling to the S boot, and that it's not kinked or broken.

When checking the S boot, bend it at it's joints and look for cracks and splits; I'd be surprised if there aren't any.
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

I disconnected the S boot, attached a rubber glove and hose to it. I then filled a large bag with thick smoke using a volcano vaporizer. I connected the hose and the bag then pressed the bag.

In the picture below, smoke was bellowing out the two locations the arrows are pointing at.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 VW Super Beetle fuel issue Reply with quote

Check the engine side of the system. The air filter housing can leak all it wants, as well as the preheat.

Ricksurfin wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: