Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

Bug, 1776 dp motor, Dellorto drla 40’s, generator stand.
Thoughts:
Is it better to have it mounted ON the motor or on the firewall? I would think on the motor ?
I like clean and simple. No wires and lines running everywhere. (KISS)
The cleaner the better but I understand function should take precedence over fashion.

I’m leaning toward the Berg oval or csp because they are black and blend in the engine compartment better.
Best place to get? (Read cheapest) haha
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

You DO NOT need any breather box on a 1776. Put a $10 mini filter on the oil filler and your done.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Mini-Oil-Breather-EACH-p/mini-oil-breather.htm

If you think I'm full of shit and want one anyway then get whichever looks the sexiest to you.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

I've had the Berg for years.... never a drip.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1668883
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1011968

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

I DO NOT think you are full of shit. In fact I look to many of your thoughts when I’m considering a purchase. I guess you just saved me $200+...
When do people generally consider a breather box?
FWIW I hate the looks of them. More clutter in the engine compartment.

vwracerdave wrote:
You DO NOT need any breather box on a 1776. Put a $10 mini filter on the oil filler and your done.

If you think I'm full of shit and want one anyway then get whichever looks the sexiest to you.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

I have the CB oil filler style. I had to RTV the seal, behind the screws and the nut where it attaches to the alternator stand. After that no leaks. I put one of those little breather filters up top too.

I think you can never have too much crank case ventilation but you can have too little. I have a fuel pump block off that's drilled/tapped going to the breather.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
I DO NOT think you are full of shit. In fact I look to many of your thoughts when I’m considering a purchase. I guess you just saved me $200+...
When do people generally consider a breather box?
FWIW I hate the looks of them. More clutter in the engine compartment.

vwracerdave wrote:

When you stroke it.

If I was going to redo mine I might use just a $30 one instead BUT it was pretty easy to route the line to mine
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

What Dave said.
But, I am NOT a fan of those small filters directly on the stock breater outlet.
2 things.
1. The area gets messed up with oil mist.
2. The system NEEDS a certain amount of hose volume to work properly. At least 5"

Last. Not that important for the engine, but annoying. If you let the breather air out in the open you can almost always smell it. That is why I would never let it out in the open unless it was/is an all out race engine. Route it to the aircleaner as it is on a stock engine. Then you also pollute less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

I know on my scooters I use a pcv valve that lets the air vent one way only.
It’s supposed to be mounted as high as possible. Jaycee sells the oil cap with the barbed end. Could I just attach apcv valve to it and mount it in the right fender well like Glenn?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

A PCV valve needs to be hooked up to a source of engine vacuum to work.

I use the CB breather. I like the fact that the filler now points to the rear of the car. Easier to get a decent sized funnel in it to fill the engine. But that's just me.

brad
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

i have both Berg and CSP. i have had the Berg for 20 years and another Berg for 5 years.

i like the CSP better.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:
i have both Berg and CSP. i have had the Berg for 20 years and another Berg for 5 years.

i like the CSP better.

Can you give details?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
pupjoint wrote:

i like the CSP better.

Can you give details?

CSP is made of aluminum TIG welded, lighter, the base that bolts to the generator uses a viton o-ring that seals better, they use the stock type cap with cork gasket, the fitting bungs with NPT female are welded so there is more flexibility in plumbing.

issues i have with Berg is the top cap. the breather cap that i have is sprung steel sometimes can be a PITA to open and this is a 20 years old breather i got new. the other berg breather rounded style uses a push/pull cap and i think can be made better.

i am still using all 3. of course the CSP is pricier. non of them leaks at the base.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:
Glenn wrote:
pupjoint wrote:

i like the CSP better.

Can you give details?

CSP is made of aluminum TIG welded, lighter, the base that bolts to the generator uses a viton o-ring that seals better, they use the stock type cap with cork gasket, the fitting bungs with NPT female are welded so there is more flexibility in plumbing.

issues i have with Berg is the top cap. the breather cap that i have is sprung steel sometimes can be a PITA to open and this is a 20 years old breather i got new. the other berg breather rounded style uses a push/pull cap and i think can be made better.

i am still using all 3. of course the CSP is pricier. non of them leaks at the base.

I powder painted my Berg so it matches the tin. I used Right Stuff to seal the breather to the base... never a leak. I have a non-vented cap and never had a problem with it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
pupjoint wrote:
Glenn wrote:
pupjoint wrote:

i like the CSP better.

Can you give details?

I powder painted my Berg so it matches the tin. I used Right Stuff to seal the breather to the base... never a leak. I have a non-vented cap and never had a problem with it.

yes non vented cap is the best.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

I agree with Dave and Torben. No need for a box.

On my 2332cc in my bus I have a 6" hose with the mini filter on it. All on a stock OE breather tower. Works perfect and never leaks.

I think the only time someone REALLY needs a breather box is they are turning 7500+rpm on a big engine, or their rings were not seated correctly or beyond worn out.

Brian
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

If it’s not vented, it’s not a breather box. It’s a box. I have 3 Bergs, the vented caps suck. Newest one is easier to the take cap of though, no more rubber.

Leakage dictates breather box or not. 2% of 1776 is pretty close to 2% of 1600.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
If it’s not vented, it’s not a breather box. It’s a box.
Mine's vented, just doesn't have a vented cap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

One hose on a stock engine will breathe the same as one hose on a berg box. You’re not getting any benefit from it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
One hose on a stock engine will breathe the same as one hose on a berg box. You’re not getting any benefit from it.

But adding vents for the valve covers and having the end of the hose in a low pressure area helps with scavenging.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Breather box-Berg, CSP, CB?? Reply with quote

Doesn’t valve lash overlap achieve this too?
Do people do that on VW motors? The exhaust valve opens slightly while the intake valve is closing to help “suck” some of the spent gas out through the exhaust?
And reversion chambers in the headers do this too right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: