Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

Hello, I'm a bus guy 😉 however bought a Mexican bug for my Daughter. Does anyone have simple way to adjust the Idle on VW Sedan 1600i 1993-2004 Digifant system. Thanks in advance. The car has never really been driven for the last twenty years. I did replace the rubber fuel lines and filter, along with seafoam in the tank! Thanks in advance. I will have my daughter set up her own account with pictures.

BTW she lives in Akron Ohio, I'm leaving tomorrow to go back home in Ortonville Minnesota.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

Good car choice; idle adjustement is unfortunately not as simple as on a carb engine, but Manfred at 1600i.de has everything you need.

http://1600i.de/1600i-mechanik/drosselklapppe/e_drosselklappe.html

unfortunately some sort of digital K-line tipe interface to dialog with the ECU is necessary for this. (VAG-COM, or a VAG 1552 reader) A local VW dealer may be able to help since they usually do have the equipment for older VW/Audi watercooled models, but they are getting scarcer.

an adapter cable would be needed, I have a post in the sticky mexi thread in this section on how to make one with VW spares readly available from any dealer.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

Thanks for the response...no adapter cable...I did some more reading and it could possibly be a bad ground? So I will try that first. Then maybe we can explore a (ISV)😁

My idle and boog is terrible..stumbles doesn't make sense for an auto with so few miles...I did a vacuum leak test on the two green lines as well as the likely places. I'll check the alternator belt as well... thanks 😊
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry about the GMC tow rig but it does have a Jeremy tow bar:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

the problem is, the issue you are experiencing may be due to the ECU being in "limp" mode. If that's the case, no repair would work until you access the ECU memory and erase the stored fault codes.

BTW, good color choice. Tornado red rocks!
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

So is there another way to erase codes to get out of limp mode? I thought by disconnecting the battery it would reset? There's no paperclip and read blinks or anything?
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

The green line go in thru the back fire wall, Check that splice under the rear seat. To the ECU. How many miles are on the car. What year?

PS, Someone has left California Very Happy
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

I wonder how many other people have had this problem with no solution come to find out I believe it was a bad ground so I put a new strap from the electronic module to the alternator and another ground strap from the nose of the transmission to the chassis. I also tighten the alternator belt like somebody else suggested...by the way the pin connector that is an example of the on the site is actually upside down so they have the pins in the wrong place to make a connector as far as the illustration goes. The numbering to the OBD2 pin code was correct. However men look at pictures...lol
good observation I left California for the Metropolis of Ortonville Minnesota and I'm here to say it is way better there:) thanks for the support.I love thesamba😁
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

I misspoke I thought I had it but it's still dying at stop lights and still has a Boog, dang. It's not as bad as it was still drive ability issue 😂
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

This is the genuine VW Sedan 1600i adapter cable. You can get the HEX-V2 Ross Tech interface to scan the ECU and erase the fault codes: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

After 25 years dealing with genuine parts for Sedan 1600i, usually a defective digifant relay (30) is the cause of erratic idle speed.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:

After 25 years dealing with genuine parts for Sedan 1600i, usually a defective digifant relay (30) is the cause of erratic idle speed.

yup. it was the same on mine when I bought it.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Idle adjustment 1999 Mexican Bug (3500 miles) Reply with quote

rodgersbadassbus64 wrote:
So is there another way to erase codes to get out of limp mode? I thought by disconnecting the battery it would reset? There's no paperclip and read blinks or anything?

nope... the faults are stored in a non-volatile memory.
as per Antonio's message, you need to get his adapter (or manufacture your own with my instructions) and then find a VW dealer who will scan the ECU for you or go the VAG-COM way.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: