Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Troubleshooting Compressor Failure
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

Later this month, I'll be installing my van's 4th (at least...) A/C compressor. I bought the van with a failed compressor; the PO claimed the compressor locked up.

I replaced that with a cheap-o new replacement (and new receiver/drier and oil - PAG 150) and it lasted about one month (~3K miles) before it ate its valves. I did not flush the system, so I suspect debris was the cause of the compressor damage.

We were halfway through a cross-country road trip when that happened, and fortunately my friend's business in Portland has a division that does A/C (auto/fleet and commercial truck), so his tech and I flushed all lines, and both evaporators, and replaced the condensor, expansion valves, receiver/drier, and installed a new Sanden compressor. It lasted about 3.5 months of occasional driving (~4K miles) before the compressor ate its valves.

I'm not confident debris was to blame for the last failure. We used a lighter-weight PAG oil than the original PAG 150 (perhaps, PAG 100 or 46...cannot remember)...whatever the spec was in Alldata, and after several calls to the local VW dealership could not confirm whether the correct weight was the original 150 or the new spec in Alldata, we went with the lighter oil.

Is it possible the lighter viscosity oil could have led to oil accumulating in the compressor and leading to the broken valves? And, any thoughts on the new PAO 68 oil that Behr claims is a replacement for all PAG oil weights?

Finally, I plan on installing this next compressor with an Airsept Compressor Guard (https://www.airsept.com/Products/Details/32) screen on the low-pressure inlet...I figure that is cheap insurance if there happens to be debris remaining in the system (because if there's debris in the evaporators, it's nearly impossible to flush it out, and I'm not replacing those).

Other thoughts? Between my 4 aging German cars, I'm doing way too much A/C work to not be getting paid Laughing

I don't think electrickery works that way
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

If you get them from FCP, they have a lifetime warranty, at least.

If the old compressor cratered and fragmented, you need to replace evap and condenser, and receiver - possibly Expansion valve too. Especially true if you have rear AC option on your T4
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If the old compressor cratered and fragmented, you need to replace evap and condenser, and receiver - possibly Expansion valve too. Especially true if you have rear AC option on your T4

Do you have a source for new EV evaporators? The OE evaporators are NLA, and I haven't located any reproductions from any vendor, for either the front or rear.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

As the Bears say...

Oh, I didn’t know that...

7D1820011A Is DISCONTINUED per VWOA

Maybe we can get it in EU?

I’m in Munich next week and can check parts places
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Totally agree here.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
As the Bears say...

Oh, I didn’t know that...

7D1820011A Is DISCONTINUED per VWOA

Yep...Jim Ellis VW still had the front and rear evaps listed as available earlier this week...I had both in the shopping-cart, but sent an e-mail to inquire about their availabilty. I never received a reply, but the next day, my shopping-cart was empty and both evaps were listed as discontinued Laughing Laughing Laughing

Abscate wrote:

Maybe we can get it in EU?

I’m in Munich next week and can check parts places

Don't go out of your way, especially if you're vacationing! (unless if you really want to know whether any replacements are available for future reference).

I just purchased a pair of new evaps on eBay for the early EV ('93-95). The rear evap and housing appears identical, with perhaps just a difference in the p/n prefix (703820121A for the early evap vs. 7D0820121 for the late evap). The front evap apparently cross-references to the late-model Syncro EVs; some references to the evaporator core from aftermarket suppliers suggest the evap is the same across all years (or at least one repop evap fits all years).

Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

Posting this just for grins and giggles...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hoped to have this all back together next week...Trying to get an update from the Latvians on the shipping status of the replacement evaps.

Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

Not shipping until Monday...takes them 2 weeks to dispatch the evaps, plus who knows how long en route. Maybe end of the month if I'm lucky? Oh well...road trip to Glacier isn't happening this year Confused

volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

well those compressors r tricky...on my 93 itwas making noise so I freed it u[p and it lasted only 1.1/2 weeks freewheeling...no AC ...well it siezed up and had to be towed home....anyway the compressor and clutch locked up and the engine would not turn over...I replaced the compresser with a used one now all is well...when I get back to the van...its in PR..Im up north now I may or may not charge it.Anyway the question is do we really need all that modern stuff on old VWS??? is it really worth it???? I have 4 old vws on the road and not one has working AC...anyway good luck....Bill
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

Running your compressor dry until it seizes isn't tricky.

volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

yep but AC is overrated.....and if you want a modern car w all the modern gagets just buy a new car....a classic is old and special and maybe by expecting a 25-50+ year old car to be the same as a new minivan or whatever I think you are missing the whole experance...anyway that,s my opinion..l..anyway anybody going to the big VW van campout its in Townson Vt this upcoming weekend...IT WILL be all vw busses from barndoors to new t/6 from Europe text me 4 directions 802/683/0872....Bill
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

Should I put a carburetor on it, too? 'Cuz it's a "classic"? Rolling Eyes

volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

that my friend is up to you...fuel injection is great till it breaks then good luck....this is a help collum so please be helpful and not sarcastic...well off in my non airconditioned and carbed bus to go sailing....its 90+ so air would be nice today... Very Happy
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
this is a help collum so please be helpful and not sarcastic...

Sharing a story about how your negligence destroyed your A/C compressor, calling it overrated and questioning whether "it is worth it", and suggesting that I'm "missing out on the whole experience" IS NOT HELP.

As far as the original questions are concerned:

Stripped66 wrote:

Is it possible the lighter viscosity oil could have led to oil accumulating in the compressor and leading to the broken valves?

I found a LOT of oil in the receiver/drier. So, a lot of oil passed through the compressor...perhaps because of its light viscosity? (I'm suspecting it was indeed PAG 46 that we installed on the last A/C repair)

Stripped66 wrote:

And, any thoughts on the new PAO 68 oil that Behr claims is a replacement for all PAG oil weights?

After some research, I'm going to avoid the PAO 68 oil. If any poor soul finds this thread in the future with similar questions over oil weight, here's what I've learned:
-The spec'd oil from VW is Sanden SP-20, which is approximately (equivalent?) PAG 100.
- Sanden discontinued SP-20 and designated SP-15 as the oil for our compressors. PAG 46 appears to be the suggested equivalent for SP-10 (most other VW A/C compressors) and SP-15 Confused
- I've found numerous catalog references online for PAG 150 oil for the Eurovan...I don't know what these references are based upon, since PAG 100 is the replacement for SP-20, which *was* (is?) the oil for our vans.

And, finally, I don't think PAO 68 should be experimented with. Behr claims it is a universal replacement for all weights of PAG oil, and compatible with systems that already contain PAG oil. Behr is the only company who claims this...other companies claim PAO does not play well with PAG and forms a parafin ester when combined with PAG, which can clog up passageways and orifices. What is most concerning is that PAO does not mix with the refrigerant in the way that PAG does, and therefore PAO doesn't distribute through the entire A/C system similar to PAG. There is no reference for the volume equivalent of PAO, or what volumes need to be added to specific components and lines (if at all?) for proper distribution. In a nutshell, I'm not going to be that guinea pig; sticking with PAG 100 and following VWs guidelines for volume distribution throughout the A/C system.

BTW, the early Eurovan evaporators (front and rear/housing) appear to be exact matches to the later Eurovan evaps. The rear evap is back in the van with no hassle. Still working on the front evap as the Latvians kicked the hell out of it before they put it in the box, and I need to straighten a bunch of the fins Mad

Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Compressor Failure Reply with quote

The "new" evaporator:

Spent a bit over 3 hours straightening the fins Confused

After a bit of tweaking, I got it back into the housing and reinstalled the front HVAC unit yesterday. I vac'd down the A/C system today to check whether there were any leaks in the evaporator from damage unseen...it held a vacuum all day Very Happy I spent the rest of the day reinstalling the dash:

It's always nice when everything works once it's all back together.

If it's still holding a vacuum tomorrow, I'll install the new compressor and receiver/drier, distribute the oil, vac once again and then charge the system.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: