Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake boot to Breather box hose?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a part number for the hose? Letter H on ratwells site.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

I have one, it works but I was looking for a new one. Geebee makes one but he won't sell just that hose (I've already purchased all of his other hoses).

Also, mine is comprised of two hoses, is this correct?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

I believe the part# is 022129973c.

I've found one place that has it:
https://www.buslab.com/ShoppingCart.asp

I'm still curious as to my other question; is there supposed to be another hose inside it?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

Looks to me like someone shoved a piece of fuel line inside a "water heater hose". Coolant hoses do not hold up well to petroleum vapors.

It is supposed to be a 22mm molded "vacuum" hose about 350mm long. You might try a piece of 7/8" silicon hose sort of like this....some of them have some bends I see.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11235
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2037903

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

As I stated in my op, I already bought every hose from geebee, except for this hose. When I bought my hoses from him (2013) he didn't have that one yet so now I'm screwed unless I want to pay $400 for one hose. No thanks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

As I stated in my op, I already bought every hose from geebee, except for this hose. When I bought my hoses from him (2013) he didn't have that one yet so now I'm screwed unless I want to pay $400 for one hose. No thanks.

He is a really nice person but doesn't like to be hassled. Have you tried calling him, thanking him for his high quality, telling him that you appreciate the hoses you already got from him, and asking him if he has one of those that you want for sale?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

He is a really nice person but doesn't like to be hassled. Have you tried calling him, thanking him for his high quality, telling him that you appreciate the hoses you already got from him, and asking him if he has one of those that you want for sale?

I haven't tried calling him but I have done the other things. This is the first time it's been a problem. It sucks because I would like to continue buying his hoses, especially when he comes out with new stuff.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

I'm confused because he shows it here for $67.50 and mentions in the ad that it can also be bought as part of a set. Have you tried just emailing, "Guy - I'd like an engine breather hose. Can you give me a total with shipping to XYZ?"

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1218074

If you can't get one then try buslab for something that might work:

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/022129973c.htm
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I'm confused because he shows it here for $67.50 and mentions in the ad that it can also be bought as part of a set. Have you tried just emailing, "Guy - I'd like an engine breather hose. Can you give me a total with shipping to XYZ?"

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1218074

If you can't get one then try buslab for something that might work:

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/022129973c.htm

Yeah, his ads can be confusing. I'll try emailing him with that ad.
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

If you want one that is cheap and functional (if not OG) get yourself some 7/8” vacuum hose from any hose supply store, a 7/8” OD elbow, and 4 hose clamps and call it a day. I did that and it works great.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

He emailed back. Sold as a set. I don't understand why there is a price for a single piece but then he says it's only sold as a set.

Oh well. Buslabs it is.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

I just made a mental note of this thread recently:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=719876&highlight=hose

Would either of those suggestions by Mispeld work?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I just made a mental note of this thread recently:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=719876&highlight=hose

Would either of those suggestions by Mispeld work?

I don't know what kind of vacuum this particular hose pulls but I've seen coolant hoses collapse under vacuum in different vehicles.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

I thought I'd give an update.

Gee bee came through and I didn't have to resort to a lessor quality hose.

On a semi related note. Does anyone know a good source to get larger hose clamps that are smooth. I need some big enough for the S boot and I'd like to get some smaller ones for the hoses that come off the S boot as well.

Is there a brand or a name for that type of clamp?

Also is hose C (Decel valve to brake booster), a hard molded hose or something else? Does anyone make a new one?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

On a semi related note. Does anyone know a good source to get larger hose clamps that are smooth. I need some big enough for the S boot and I'd like to get some smaller ones for the hoses that come off the S boot as well.

Also is hose C (Decel valve to brake booster), a hard molded hose or something else? Does anyone make a new one?

what are you trying to replace, the long section, short section or all of it? I had to find one off a donor. Many buses are butchered as to that hose.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

what are you trying to replace, the long section, short section or all of it? I had to find one off a donor. Many buses are butchered as to that hose.

My existing one is fine but since my engine looks practically new now I was hoping to replace some of the "ugly" hoses. I'll be looking for charcoal canister hoses too but I'm pretty sure any hose will work for those.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

the fiche only lists the cloth covered vacuum hose for the braking system. Maybe there is a version of the fiche out there that lists the formed plastic hose. I cleaned mine with brake cleaner.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

Thanks.

Any ideas on the clamps?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Thanks.

Any ideas on the clamps?

the original clamps for the plastic hose were plastic if that is what you were referring to. If you were referring to the clamps on the breather hose, I don't think it used one. I'll have to look to see how I handled it. Not a fan of American stainless clamps, they don't tighten evenly in my opinion.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake boot to Breather box hose? Reply with quote

You do not want to use clamps on any of the Geebee hoses. None of them had clamps and there is a reason why. His hoses all fit like a glove. I think the "VW" clamps are still available for the ends of the "S" boot. You are better off using the original molded plastic hose. You can clean and polish the outside with 3m headlight restorer. Clean the inside with really hot water, Dawn, and a flexible bottle brush.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: