Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

I have installed two of the gw exhaust systems, 18 months ago

I substituted wire mesh seals for the solid donuts, easier to seal.

The steel is not supposed to stay shiney:
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=156

Excellent product.

Farhrvergnügen.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

RMW has an SS exhaust too ya know
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

I recently installed the GoWesty SS muffler, SS brackets, and tail pipe, as well as the 339918 Magnaflow CAT(CA approved), using my original "headers". 1988 stock 2.1

I purchased the CAT separately, and purchased the CAT bolt/ gasket kit from VanCafe, as well as the GoWesty complete SS exhaust hardware kit, for their SS pipes conversion.

If you are using the existing factory pipes, the bolts that hold the muffler hangers, provided in GoWesty's kit, are not long enough on one bracket. Their SS pipes eliminated the joint in the exhaust pipe that run parrallel with the muffler. The factory setup has a bracket that holds the joint to the drivers side muffler bracket. Luckily I had purchased longer bolts.

I have to say, it wasn't the easiest swap out, getting everything to line up correctly. The GoWesty video is well done, but seeing a video with the engine installed would help.

The muffler is noticeably throatier than stock. I'm happy with the end result, so far.

Install before fire up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After running the motor. Took the van for smog check. Passed !

Original old muffler

I give it a thumbs up ! I'm glad that I did it myself.

Very Happy
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

Dana Champion wrote:
I recently installed the GoWesty SS muffler, SS brackets, and tail pipe, as well as the 339918 Magnaflow CAT(CA approved), using my original "headers". 1988 stock 2.1

I purchased the CAT separately, and purchased the CAT bolt/ gasket kit from VanCafe, as well as the GoWesty complete SS exhaust hardware kit, for their SS pipes conversion.

If you are using the existing factory pipes, the bolts that hold the muffler hangers, provided in GoWesty's kit, are not long enough on one bracket. Their SS pipes eliminated the joint in the exhaust pipe that run parrallel with the muffler. The factory setup has a bracket that holds the joint to the drivers side muffler bracket. Luckily I had purchased longer bolts.

I have to say, it wasn't the easiest swap out, getting everything to line up correctly. The GoWesty video is well done, but seeing a video with the engine installed would help.

The muffler is noticeably throatier than stock. I'm happy with the end result, so far.

Install before fire up

After running the motor. Took the van for smog check. Passed !

Original old muffler

I give it a thumbs up ! I'm glad that I did it myself.

Very Happy

not too bad for a 3 decade old muffler. i bought a stock muffler, not stainless, figured that I probably wont be needing more than 30 years of life out of it based on my age and the fact that the global warmists want to ban gasoline cars in my state well before 30 years have passed.

sure stainless is nice, but it appears to be over kill.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

just want to post a happy user report on the GoWesty stainless exhaust (bought thru Van-Cafe). put it on my new engine build, it was my indulgence to my self as i probably had enough rusty exhaust parts to make a complete system. added a Walker cat.

fit was good, not perfect but it is an exhaust system and it is always amazing to me how accurately so many bends can be made. i'd bought a pack of copper-coated nuts from Autohausaz so i used those throughout along with antiseize. as much as i hate exhaust work, it was a pleasure to work with everything new.

runs with no rattles and is throaty in tone. at idle, it pushes leaves away on the ground and has kind of a whooshing sound. driving it, i can hear it as a very low thrum, not obnoxious but present. while a straight thru muffler, it doesn't 'rack' when at full throttle like the old Thrush muffler of my youth. it remains a pleasant thrum.

having spent for one, i wouldn't do a new motor without one. it just finishes off the project so nicely. while spendy, it is just a few dollars more than the crappy Dansk that lasts me about 3 years in Minnesota salt mines. lifetime warranty, take THAT crappy Dansk.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

I put one of these on a couple years back. I've had 3 issues and one dislike.

1. The header for cylinders 1 & 3 was too tight, I had to auger out the holes on that flanges a tad to get it to mount up to the heads. It only took between a 1/32" or 1/16" of auguring to get it to go.

2. The muffler had a weld that looked like it was a little hot and developed a hole where the material was thin. Gowesty sent me a new muffler but I had to pay shipping.

3. For the life of me I can't get the muffler clocked around that will allow the tailpipe to point straight back. The tailpipe points down at a 45 degree angle and kicks up a lot of dust anywhere it's dusty. At our last group campout we looked like pig-pen from Charlie Brown when we pulled in with a cloud of dust around us.

Dislike - The muffler is louder than what I would care to have. It adds a bit of noise to cruising down the highway.

The build quality looks good other than the issue with the first muffler, I think my set may have just wiggled a little in the jig when it was going together.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

I’m replacing a blown header gasket (cylinder 3) and I was able to drop the blown gasket and slide in a new one without loosening cylinder 1 bolts. Unfortunately I can’t get the bolts back in even when disconnecting at 1 and at the collector. The flanges are just not lining back up/ too close together.

Anyone removed the 1/3 header on a Syncro without pulling the engine protection bars?
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

After owning Vanagons for 25 years, I finally gave up and bought a stainless system about a year and a half ago. I chose GW because it was cheaper than the RMW version.

I bought the whole system (sans cat).

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

Service your transmission before you install this exhaust. The pipe closest to the transmission blocks the drain plug. Had to customize a 17mm hex bit with a grinder to loosen the plug. I would think that GW would consider this when designing their exhaust. Not the end of the world, but a complete hassle when draining the old gear oil.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

+1 on that. It would still have been OK with an improvised tool except that the drain plug was really stuck in there.

If you do have to remove the cross pipe, it is a PITA to refit. It's like it shrinks a little once disconnected and the holes don't want to line up again for love nor money. I ended up removing the J-pipe and collector to get it sorted out. I replaced the nuts/bolts, doughnuts, and flange gaskets while I had them off so it wasn't a total waste of time.

I've had the GW SS exhaust system (end to end) for three and a half years on a 1.9L with no issues at all with the system itself. Very happy with it. I did not have to grind the T-stat or anything else to fit it on, but I remember it was a little tricky to get everything lined up correctly.

My poorly engineered initial support solution, however, failed big time, but that is on me and not the system. 1.9L converts will need to be a little inventive unless you can source the proper 2.1L support pieces. My original support 1.9 struts were shot (rust) so I can't offer any insight in whether they would fit the 2.1 system.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
+1 on that. It would still have been OK with an improvised tool except that the drain plug was really stuck in there.

If you do have to remove the cross pipe, it is a PITA to refit. It's like it shrinks a little once disconnected and the holes don't want to line up again for love nor money. I ended up removing the J-pipe and collector to get it sorted out. I replaced the nuts/bolts, doughnuts, and flange gaskets while I had them off so it wasn't a total waste of time.

This is what I am running into now. I’ve got everything disconnected J pipe collector you name it and the damn pipe just seems to have shrunk. I’m going to try to open the bolt holes on the manifold up a bit to make it work but there’s a part of me that just wants to give go Westy another $150 for a new pipe to be done with it.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

For my drain nut with a GoWesty exhaust, I used a nut and a wrench. luckily mine came out with little effort.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
I put one of these on a couple years back. I've had 3 issues and one dislike.

3. For the life of me I can't get the muffler clocked around that will allow the tailpipe to point straight back. The tailpipe points down at a 45 degree angle and kicks up a lot of dust anywhere it's dusty. At our last group campout we looked like pig-pen from Charlie Brown when we pulled in with a cloud of dust around us.

The build quality looks good other than the issue with the first muffler, I think my set may have just wiggled a little in the jig when it was going together.

The tail pipe, muffler and cat will rotate together at the joint with the J-pipe. Loosen that fitting and open your muffler clamps and you should be able to get away from the pig pen effect.

Just a regular guy
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

McVanagon wrote:
After owning Vanagons for 25 years, I finally gave up and bought a stainless system about a year and a half ago. I chose GW because it was cheaper than the RMW version.

I bought the whole system (sans cat).

You can't compare the two systems by cost alone. The GW version is very much stock routing with materials differing from the available Dansk replacements. The RMW\vanistan system is a take on the vintage S&S equal length merged header. It offers real performance gains especially when coupled with larger capacity WBX's. While a GW exhaust might make your van run better (if your OE pipes were rotted) it will not provide the benefits of the RMW system.... period.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

So, with the GW system, the only real "support" are the two muffler saddles?

What are the thoughts of their Elbow vs the stock Elbow. ?

The exhaust on our 1.9 is cracking up. Will be looking for remedies.

Thanks
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
B.O.B.Wanders wrote:

This is what I am running into now. I’ve got everything disconnected J pipe collector you name it and the damn pipe just seems to have shrunk. I’m going to try to open the bolt holes on the manifold up a bit to make it work but there’s a part of me that just wants to give go Westy another $150 for a new pipe to be done with it.

Well I slotted the bolt holes on the flange of the header and got the whole system bolted up tight. Cranked her up and I'll be damned if the leak isn't worse than before. It seems the pipe has shrunk so much that the gasket can't form a good seal...
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

Yes, you may need to replace the J pipe as well

Two important points with the stainless exhaust systems.

1) Use hardened rather than stainless bolts. Stainless bolts will both stretch and gall. So you have to cut them off anyways. I like to use old case bolts if you have some extras laying around. The hardened bolts will come off intact 5 years later, not the stainless. Some copper paste on the threads wont hurt either.

2) The 2 ->1 manifold is cast iron as a stock part. It will outlast a welded stainless replacement by a generation. Remember that stainless is a soft metal that fatigues with vibration even if it is corrosion resistant. I had mine ceramic coated to keep it looking nice.

Just a regular guy
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic's. A coupla posts back I asked about the factory elbow.

It seems like it would flow better than the stainless version. I was thinking of using the stainless header pipes, factory elbow 2>1 manifold, stainless j-pipe and mate that up to my cat-muffler-tail pipe assembly, for a fairly light weight upgrade for our '85.

I wouldn't mind using just the 2-1 pipe as shown in this link vs the factory elbow with adjoining j-pipe.
http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.698/.f

Pricy, but.....

I'm drifting a bit , sorry
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

Thanks for the link regis, that pipe looks cool and not any more expensive than the GoWesty.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty stainless exhaust reviews Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
just want to post a happy user report on the GoWesty stainless exhaust...runs with no rattles and is throaty in tone. at idle, it pushes leaves away on the ground and has kind of a whooshing sound. driving it, i can hear it as a very low thrum, not obnoxious but present. while a straight thru muffler, it doesn't 'rack' when at full throttle like the old Thrush muffler of my youth. it remains a pleasant thrum.
-dan

How does that description translate in real world sound? Check out the comparison here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q74NAiXbfnk . I recently had the GW SS exhaust installed and find it a bit too "thrummy" but the positive tradeoff is the increased lifespan compared to stock. A guy can't have everything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: